Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to have a general discussion about heat so i am going to open with a few different questions.

1. I have seen different products like cooling beds, scarfs, and vest. i would like to know what experiences people have with these products and which ones are recommended.

2. Michael Davis, DVM, Ph.D of Oklahoma state conducted a study from 2009 to 2011 on how dogs handle hot weather exercise and traveling conditions. He concluded that brachycephalic dogs are more prone to heat related illnes due to the fact that they are less efficient at cooling the body. However he also noted that things like physical fitness and weight play a larger role in a canines heat management than being brachycephalic. He also concluded that acclimatization plays a large role in how a canine handles hot weather. My question on this matter is if anyone knows of any research which has tangible percentages on these kinds of studies. Like what exactly is the heat sensitivity difference between a boxer and lets say a beguine malinois?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I haven't seen any study with percentages for different dogs, I think it would be tough because you would have to get a study group of dogs from all different breeds that are all the same age, physically fit, same climate, etc.

I will say from personal experience, I agree with the doc and believe the dog being physically fit is extremely important.My one neighbor has a pretty fat golden and that dog barely makes it out to relieve itself with out breathing like a 4 pack a day smoker. My previous golden could chase a tennis ball all day no matter what the temperature. As long as he had some breaks and plenty of water he was fine being out all day.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have had 6 boxers now, none of them tolerated heat very well at at I live in the mid Atlantic area and the summers here get very hot and humid no matter how physically fit they are they are miserable in the heat I have never used any of those cooling products I just usually get up very early in the mornings (before full sunrise) for exercise and they do well with that we just simply stay in when the temperature gets over 80 and humid. You have to watch your dog very carefully in the heat it can easily kill a brachiocephalic dog. ITs important to watch your dog in the heat and monitor for overheating.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Because brachycephalic breeds have an elongated soft palate (the soft part of the roof of the mouth)which is a soft palate that is too long for the length of the mouth; the excess length partially blocks the entrance to the trachea (windpipe) at the back of the throat. Here is an article that explains very well.
When dogs cannot get good airflow they tend to overheat more quickly than say a dog with a longer snout whose airway isn't restricted.
In addition I think a boxer has a thinner coat which doesn't protect them from heat or cold.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because brachycephalic breeds have an elongated soft palate (the soft part of the roof of the mouth)which is a soft palate that is too long for the length of the mouth; the excess length partially blocks the entrance to the trachea (windpipe) at the back of the throat. Here is an article that explains very well.
When dogs cannot get good airflow they tend to overheat more quickly than say a dog with a longer snout whose airway isn't restricted.
In addition I think a boxer has a thinner coat which doesn't protect them from heat or cold.

That is a good article. This one seems to indicate that not all brachycephalic dogs have every single symptom. Also there is a surgery to correct elongated soft palate i am curious if anyone on this site has ever elected to have it done.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I had not> Our guy definitely could not handle the heat but we didn't run with him, as I don't think he still would have been good for that and we kept him indoors in the AC for the most part, only out early and late for a walk and then potty breaks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts