Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.. For the past few days its been scortching in my city... And its SUPER SUPER hot in my bfs house and all Mia does is breathe heavily and pant most of the day... Is this because of her short nose and its harder to breathe? The other dogs don't do this... thats why I'm curious...

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm not a pro or anything, but I would assume it could be a reason why.  Most of the bully type breeds with smooshy faces have harder times breathing in the heat than other dogs and are more prone to heat stroke.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I've heard that about smooshed nosed dogs too.

If you don't have air conditioning, find a cool place inside the house and turn on a fan of some sort.  Here in south Texas, it is unlivable without a/c.  Our little Henry goes out to potty and then is right back inside again.

Just keep a close eye on the little sweetie.  Also, cool water to drink helps.

Zhanna

·
Registered
905 Posts
Put ice in their water so it's nice and cold, and also try leaving wet towels around for them to lie on (if feasible).  Also, if you have an internal room in the house (like a downstairs bathroom or utility room with no windows) you may find that it's a good few degrees cooler in there than elsewhere in the house.  Our downstairs bathroom is always a good four or five degrees (centigrade) cooler than the rest of the house because it has no windows.  My friend's Rottweiler spent practically the entire weekend in there the last time she was down.  The floor is tiled aswell, which also helps to keep it cool.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Boxers really don't tend to do well in the heat. The boxer is considered a Brachycephalic breed, which means their mouth and nose areas are significantly smaller than longer nosed breeds. They have less receptors, which is why they have a greater chance of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. So you are correct that you see a difference in the way Mia handles the heat verses the other longer nosed breeds. Here is an article about Brachyphalic breeds..

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_br ... halic.html

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the link and information!! I'm staying at my parents house (where I live) with her until my bf puts his window air conditioners in and its cold (probably in 2-3 days).. Then we'll be going back over there.. Its AC'ed here but they haven't out theirs in over there yet.. She was breathing heavy last night when I brought her home, so I put a big fan up and have it blowing on my bed..

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
A couple other things you can do is take a towel and get it wet with cool water, wring it out good, lay it on the floor and have Mia lay on it. Or wrap it around her chest..Samson always likes that...Another trick is rub ice cubes on her chest, another Samson fav  :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts