Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw in a post that Heather was using garlic for flea prevention? How does this work?  Details please?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Yes I do use garlic.  I use it the form of garlic powder and Norweigen Kelp / Garlic.  When I get to the office I will post some sites with regards to garlic as a flea / tick preventitive.  What happens is garlic asorbs into the system and gives off a smell that is not attractive to ticks or fleas.  But let me get the correct info from my link on my work computer.  Will be in he office round 9am!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
We also use garlic and brewer's yeast as flea and tick prevention.  I had actually read about it in a book my brother had for his English Bulldog.  Since Blue was biten by a tick this summer my husband and I figured why not give it a try.  Since then he has had no probelms with fleas or ticks.  We buy it in a pill form and put it in his food every morning.  It's sold at most pet stores

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Can the fleas only smell the garlic?  The reason I ask is I don't want a smelly dog and i know when my mom eats alot of garlic I can smell it when I am close to her.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I think it has more to do with it in the bloodsteam I think than the order.   I think that once its in there, the blood is not as "Yummy" for ticks and fleas.  Hence they dont bite.  And they are not going to stay on a dog if there is nothing to bite.

I have found two ticks on Hanna, however there were not imbedded, just walking around.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Duke had demodex since then I've been looking for more of a natural way to do things....chemicals have so many side effects and I imagine since you have to be so careful with flea medicine and wash your hands afterward then it can't be very good for the dog either.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Me, a dash in their kibble.   But read some of the above links.   They tell how much to give, and where as he has a special need (Demox) I will try to see what levels are ok in that situation.  Also many holistic pet stores or even if you do online make suppliements like the one Tootsie linked.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
This sounds pretty cool, I might have to try this once the weather warms up.  That flea medicene they gave me is god awful, it's this oily slime that sticks on his fur for days.  People go to pet him and are like "ewwwww."  

I'm paranoid about ticks.  I got the lyme disease shots because it's pretty bad around here.  Oggie loves his walks in the woods.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so, would it be better to use a capsule/pill or fresh garlic?  Also, is it true that garlic is bad for them in too high a dose?  If I went with a pill..what dosage would I use?  The articles are convincing...all the benefits...It said 1 clove for large dogs, 1/2 for medium...what would that be translated to in pills?  I honestly think Bo would eat fresh...he's a living vaccum...Jetta..she is picky

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My mom said it is better to use fresh garlic.....she said pills aren't that benificial (but this is for when she is taking it so I don't know exactly).

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I used fresh garlic for Buster for over 2 years. Yes, too much garlic can be toxic. 1/2 - 1 clove a week minced in with their food should be sufficient. I now use flea free, http://www.healthyfoodforpets.com/FleaFree.html ,just because it's easier for me and Maddie is so darn picky I had a hard time with her eating the garlic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts