Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking here for a bit, and have read such useful information from everyone, I'm hoping you can shed some light on my questions about Cooper!

Cooper will be 1 in a few days, he's a male fawn w/gorgeous flash on his paws and chest.  Ok, enough boasting!! We have a daughter who is 4, and Cooper is absolutely wonderful with her.  We have been very vigilant about her respecting his space and pulling on him, and any other kind of "kid" behaviour we try to catch and take care of then and there (for both of them..as Cooper sometimes forgets how much stronger he is than her!!)

Now for my questions.  Cooper has been socialized w/other dogs, and we are very social people as well, since Cooper was a pup, we've had gatherings almost weekly!  In the past few months, I've noticed an awful aggression towards our mailman.  Our mailbox is on our house, but Cooper will sit in the doorway, and look out on the street...as soon as he sees the mailman, his fur stands on his back and he "woofs" and low-growls.  When the mailman approaches our home he goes all cujo and crazy!  It is so uncharacterisitc of him.  But then last weekend we were at our friends home across the street and we brought Coop along (as we always do).  One of the neighbor's friends came in (8 y/o boy) and Coop jumped up on him; in a non-aggressive manner.  But then he started the low growl and we pulled him down b/c we were so freaked out.  He has never ever growled at  a child before.  

Then last night we ordered Chinese food, same thing as the mailman.  Growled and hair standing on his back.  We order out about once a week, but he never reacts this way.  Help!  How can we get our previously fun loving boy to stop being so aggressive, especially the incident witht he child!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I really don't know about the aggression issue, as I've never dealt with that.
Cooper sounds pretty normal to me as far as the mailman. Both of my boxers were very protective of their family and territory. If someone rings the doorbell today, Maddie will go crazy, fur raised, growling, and barking like mad. You would think I had 3 dobermans in my house! I don't know if she would actually do anything if someone were to just walk inside that she didn't know, but she can sound very aggresive to strangers at the door. Also, she seems to be very protective of me towards men. If I am out on a walk with her and she sees a man, anywhere, could be across the street, she will start barking and growling fur standing up. She is a rescue, so I don't know her history when she was a pup if anything happened with her and men?
I would be a little concerned with Coopers reaction with the 8 year old. Was Cooper playing? Boxers can growl when they play. It doesn't really sound as if he was going to attack the kid. Maybe, he was just startled when the kid walked in? I really don't know, maybe someone else on this board will have more answers for you. Good Luck and welcome again.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Since I got my dog for his guarding abilities, I personally would not completely make Cooper stop the growling.  Instead, let him do it and then say, "Okay Cooper" or whatever the release command that you use is.  Obviously before he goes nuts would be the best time to "release" him of the growl..... Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.. Your Cooper sounds gorgeous....There is something about the mailman that seems to set off dogs.. Buck and Tia went nutz when the mailman got close, they actually tried going thru the garage window to get him,,Mostly it's just overexcitement, but to a stranger, it doesn't appear that way. He's being protective of his territory and that isn't a bad thing really...

I would be a bit concerned of his reaction to the little boy when you were at someone else's house.. That's not a good sign, esp if there wasn't any reason...Did the boy scare Cooper, startle him maybe? Just a thought....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing my husband and i can think of is he's leary w/strangers w/hats.  The boy was wearing a long "stocking cap."  and our mailman always has on a hat.  The boy was in no way aggressive or taunting as far as we could see.  I realize it isn't a good sign...that's why I need some advice!  Should i treat it as an isolated incident, or look into behavior mod. right away?

Thank you everyone for replying and making me feel at home!!!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
[quote="Cooper\";p=\"2944":m1eul1w0]The only thing my husband and i can think of is he's leary w/strangers w/hats.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Is Cooper neutered? If not, that could be causing some aggression issues also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
our harvey dont like mailman either but then if you invite the mailman in hes ok ,he dont like the door knocked anywhere i would say cooper is protecting his ,lets say pack. his home his humans ,if you can teach him controled growling ,like lets say the mailman comes cooper growls ,you tell him ok enough ,or stop he will see its ok and you dont need protected this time ,he will learn as our dog did its ok its just the mailman everything is fine,and when we leave him on his own for a couple hours we aint there to tell him the man that knocks the door is ok so he guards ,this what we do anyhow,as with the child hes guarding from strangers you tell him its ok no threat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts