Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vet is recommending TPLO on my 12 year old almost 13 female boxer. I am having second thoughts on going through with surgery and am considering getting a brace and going on a less invasive option. My concerns are her age, recovery and healing potential... Vet says age should not be a concern..... but it is to me. I appreciate the input. I did search the forum, but couldn't find a previous thread for same dog age. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
That’s pretty aggressive surgery for a dog that age even if she makes it thru the surgery the recovery would be very hard. Did she tear her knee completely? Can she put any weight on it? Toe touching? I have been thru the knee issue several times now unfortunately, these can and do heal. You must try to get her some therapy though there is laser therapy at most Vets and other therapies I have used are called shockwave treatments and most recently PEMF which I am currently using on my female to heal her. You must keep her from any running or jumping for close to six months now. i use medicam once a day at first but not after the healing has gotten underway. I also use Adequan injections they work really well. It seems like sometimes Vets are more interested in their bank accounts than what’s really good for the dog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s pretty aggressive surgery for a dog that age even if she makes it thru the surgery the recovery would be very hard. Did she tear her knee completely? Can she put any weight on it? Toe touching? I have been thru the knee issue several times now unfortunately, these can and do heal. You must try to get her some therapy though there is laser therapy at most Vets and other therapies I have used are called shockwave treatments and most recently PEMF which I am currently using on my female to heal her. You must keep her from any running or jumping for close to six months now. i use medicam once a day at first but not after the healing has gotten underway. I also use Adequan injections they work really well. It seems like sometimes Vets are more interested in their bank accounts than what’s really good for the dog.
She said chronic tiny tears that have happened over my boxer's life. My boxer started toe touching which is why I took her in, but in the last day she seems to be able to put more weight on it again, which really made me question the need for surgery. I will look into the suggestions you've made. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Honestly at 12 years for a Boxer? That already put's her in a pretty elite group! :)

Non evasive options, would be best I would think? Acupuncture, and rolling back on her activity would also be a good call. Surgery for a your dog is a pretty "Questionable option," for your Girl at best?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
If she is putting some weight on it it’s a good thing. If she were my dog I would not get surgery. You do though need to look into some therapies for her including some physical therapy. keep her from running crazy loops and quiet and no jumping into cars or beds anything high she will heal and most of all just love her you are very lucky she is in good condition and you still have her.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I agree with you gut feeling and what the others have already said. Having a 12 year old boxer is phenomenal . I at this point in her life would not do any invasive procedures. Rest, brace i, management of any pain, if necessary would be my go too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts