Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi, My name is Jeanene...and I am the proud mommy to two beautiful new boxer boys...my sil has had boxers for 30 years now and there are 10 in all in our extended(but geographically immediate) family...these two are sons of the best boxer I had ever known until I met them...their names are Mic and Indy...Mic is a check boxer...mostly white with two large brindle patches and lots of black spots...Indy is a classic fawn with a black mask and a few white flashings...I am here in search of helpful advice and to meet other boxer lovers and pick their brains!(So to speak)  Other then the challenges inherent in raising two pups at once...we are raising two male littermates...which has been no problem thus far...and my sil had assurd me that they had raised two males close in age and after fixing the one, they were fine...of course, now I am hearing less positive things about raising littermates and especially of the same sex...I have seen positives, so far...what I am hoping to find here are some very concrete tips we can use to make this the best possible situation it can be...what to watch for...maybe how to figure out who is the dominant dog(they behave equally alpha right now, although Mic has always seemed more dominant...which poses another concern, as he would be the logical choice for neutering...since he's not eligible for full registration anyway...being a check.) We have read about how to support the dominant dogs authority and how that can lessen tensions...everyone knows where they stand...do you folks know anything more that could be of help? We are not aspiring show people or breeders...we just love our boys and want to do right by them...they are very differnent in personality, so far (12 weeks  today!)  

Any input is appreciated! I am looking forward to getting to know everyone!

THank you

Jeanene

Attachments

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to all of you...Indy & Mic are adorable...I really don't know a lot about raising 2 pups from the same litter so I won't be much help, altho I have heard people discourage others from doing so..Having said that I know someone who is raising 2 littermates, but male/female combo...The neutering will not remove aggression or dominance,or fix behaviorial issues just to let you know, my suggestion would be to have them both neutered strictly for the reason that it's the right thing to do..Plus their long term health.

Your pups are very distinct persons within themselves, so what may or may not work for others won't necessarily be the same for you..I find each day is a learning experience and have learned to kinda go with the flow so to speak. I think one of the keys is to establish yourself as being the Alpha, not your boxers..Let them know who is boss, in a very kind way of course.  :) As you probably know, boxers are incredibly intelligent, use that to your advantage!

·
Registered
186 Posts
OMG i am dying of cuteness from those pics!! too freakin precious!!  i have never raised littermates before so i am no help there, i would say as long as you work hard with them both and show eaual love they will eventually establish who is alpha. atleast that has been my experince with raising dfogs close in age (just not littermates) welcome BTW!!!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you SO much for the kind welcome...I appreciate the pep talk! :D

They are both wonderful boys...they each have bits and pieces of their fathers personality...Indy does sommersaults...I thought it was a fluke, then I found out his Sire has done it since puppyhood and still does...all 80 pounds of him!  :)

We are working on clicker training and they are both pretty responsive...I read an article by a dog trainer who said if you show "respect" for the dominant dog(ie, put his bowl on the floor first, pet him first, etc.) it eases the dominance problem...apparently, according to her, we humans can cause dogs to fight who would not necessarily do so on their own just by messing with the pack order...and, yes, she did say we have the be the main authority...kind and firm!

I am very happy to have found you all here! I tried a couple of other places that seemed rather tight nit and not nearly so open and inviting...

I will be more then happy to provide more pics!(Ugh!You're twisting my arm, can you tell? :lol: )

Thanks again so much...I am looking forward to learning from your experience...

Oh, and I read the thread on the "burn" thing...we get both going at once! :lol: It will be interesting when they are bigger!

Happy to be here
Jeanene

·
Registered
292 Posts
Welcome! They are precious!

I also prefer this forum to all the others. Many of them aren't very open minded and if you don't share the same opinion you aren't very welcome. At least you can speak your mind here!  :D

·
Registered
905 Posts
When we were originally doing our research on getting two dogs, we were told by the Boxer Society of Ireland that it's not a good idea to get two puppies together (whether or not they're littermates) as they will always fight for dominance.  Their advice was to get one, and then a year or so later, add another and the second dog would automatically defer to the existing one, which is what we did.

However, Emmet's cousin (who has a weird competitive thing going on) ran out and got two Boxers when he heard we were getting one, and his are two male littermates.  They are about a year and a half old now and they haven't had any problems with them whatsoever.  Alan just says he hopes nothing ever happens that requires one of them to stay overnight in the vet or something, because they are absolutely inseparable.  They are both very submissive dogs (they have always deferred to Tink, even when she was 16 weeks old and about a quarter of their size) so that may be why they never had a problem with them fighting.  I suppose it's all really a matter of the individual dogs' personalities!  If they'd ended up with two alphas it could have been a very different story.

That's probably no help to you whatsoever, but I just thought I'd share what I've seen of two male littermates!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome, they are both just adorable.  You will get great info on this forum.

·
Registered
186 Posts
[quote="MicnIndysMom\";p=\"16908":1p86egt5]Thank you SO much for the kind welcome...I appreciate the pep talk! :D

They are both wonderful boys...they each have bits and pieces of their fathers personality...Indy does sommersaults...I thought it was a fluke, then I found out his Sire has done it since puppyhood and still does...all 80 pounds of him!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome, your pups are adorable!  :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hello and welcome!!!  They are both so adorable!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts