Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Originally from Edmonton Alberta but living in Fort Worth Texas. I Just wanted to get an opinion from some of you.

I had a Boxer for 10 Years and lost her to cancer last June. My kids were devastated because they didn't know life without our dog. They have been bugging my wife and I to get another boxer, Well my wife went and put a deposit on a puppy from a "Breeder" and after she made the deposit we looked at the AKC registration and it looks like the puppy is Father/Daughter Inbred.

I've been researching it like crazy and it looks like it is not that uncommon, and some Reputable breeders inbreed or Line-Breed to keep certain characteristics in the bloodline. But I know that Father Daughter or 25% COI (Coefficient of inbreeding) is higher than recommended. From what I can tell that is the only inbreeding on this puppy going back 4 generations.

My question is should we walk away from this puppy and lose our deposit, what is the risk of getting a dog that is going to have all kinds of health issues? does anybody have any experience with this kind of thing. We are not looking to breed, we just want a family pet.

Sorry for the long first post.

I would appreciate some input.

Thanks
Doug

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well after reading a lot of info on this forum and online we decided to walk away from this puppy. From what I read there may be some reputable breeders that can “line breed” but you really have to know what your doing. And I did not get that impression from this particular breeder.

I guess it’s just an expensive lesson learned, we will continue to look at some more reputable breeders now that we better understand what questions to ask and what information they should be able provide.

Although there doesn’t seem to be a lot of activity on this forum, there was a lot of information once I started searching. So thanks

I’ll update further once we find our puppy!

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Aww, man I'm so sorry, first for the loss of you original girl and second for your try and fail, that sucks!!

But if you are still looking?? A member here is Kara I believe?? KACO Boxers, you can contact here, but this is her website.:

Home

My Struddell was an American Line Boxer (BYB) and she also lasted only ten years. DM claimed her ultimately. :(

The top three leading causes of death in Boxers are Cancer, Cardio and Neurological. Boxers are know in the medical industry as Cancer in a Box! My vet said that to me on one occasion and then apologized. I said no problem ... I already knew that was a possibility.

One can stack the odds in there favor by getting a well breed dog from a proven source of course. But most likely the best course of action would be to get a different breed?? I personnel refer to Boxers as "The Heart Break Breed!" There is a long trail of tears that lead many to this site. :(

Still I tend to think the heartbreak they leave behind, when they leave us on life's journey, is worth the joy they bring when we share our life with them

I'm still on the hunt for my next White Boxer myself, but then unlike dogs I train I don't always make "Good Choices" myself.

Welcome aboard in any case and sorry for your loss. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts