Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself and our new boy. 2020 has been an awfull year all round, to make it worse we lost both our Boxer boys.

After loosing Wilson at the grand old age of 14 in February we were heart broken, but we had some time to prepare and we had Baxter to keep us steady and give us a reason to go on. Sadly we were left devastated at the unexpected and untimely loss of Baxter at the end of November, he was only 9. Our hearts were left empty and everything our world revolved round was shattered. We had no one demanding on our time, no one to greet us at the door, no one follow us about and if we are honest, no reason to keep us going. Our boys were not just pets, they gave us unconditional love, were our best friends, our anchors in life and an equal part of our family.

Neither Baxter or Wilson could ever be replaced and their unique quirks, personalities and the memories we have will live with us forever. Despite the unbearable grief and tears we needed to introduce some positivity into our lives and try to focus on what the future will bring.

The story we write as we go through life continues, and it will always be filled with chapters that bring a part of our lives to an end. One lesson learnt (again) is that our time here is short and we need to make the most of it in our own way. For us that is being able to share our love and make sure our little corner of the world is filled with joy, life and happiness. We were so lucky that Wilson and Baxter were part of our story, and they will always be with us. The chapter called Wilson and Baxter may have come to an end, but the story we are writing is not. Our new chapter is called Hudson, and after rescuing our previous 4 boxers we actually bought a pup as this time he is rescuing us!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Hey he looks just like "Spark!" On Netflix "Pup Academy!" Show me a movie/series with talking dog's and I am watching it! :)

That said ... I am sorry for your loss. The first one at 14 years old when he passed is really just fantastic! I really only tend to do mainly "Mastiff derived dog's. " And none have made it pass ten. And with Boxers and Boxer Pitts ... I have done wayy worst. Moving on ...

I can't imagine however losing the second one a year later and at nine years old?? That sucks but the good news out of the bad is that at least you have a whole crap load of good memory's to fall back on!

And a new set of adventures to begin! Welcome aboard and ... sorry for your loss. :(

·
Registered
873 Posts
sorry for your loss, I have been there I lost 2 dogs within six months of each other and they were far younger. Its good you got a pup to help you move on and make new memories. I got two new Boxer and we are making new memories now, so its always good to remember we should always make the time to spend with our 4 legged kids and tell them everyday how much you love and appreciate them!

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Aah yes, life is a book of pages with many chapters, it is especially sad when one comes to an end. I am glad the story continues with many more stories with Hudson. He is a beautiful boxer pup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself and our new boy. 2020 has been an awfull year all round, to make it worse we lost both our Boxer boys.

After loosing Wilson at the grand old age of 14 in February we were heart broken, but we had some time to prepare and we had Baxter to keep us steady and give us a reason to go on. Sadly we were left devastated at the unexpected and untimely loss of Baxter at the end of November, he was only 9. Our hearts were left empty and everything our world revolved round was shattered. We had no one demanding on our time, no one to greet us at the door, no one follow us about and if we are honest, no reason to keep us going. Our boys were not just pets, they gave us unconditional love, were our best friends, our anchors in life and an equal part of our family.

Neither Baxter or Wilson could ever be replaced and their unique quirks, personalities and the memories we have will live with us forever. Despite the unbearable grief and tears we needed to introduce some positivity into our lives and try to focus on what the future will bring.

The story we write as we go through life continues, and it will always be filled with chapters that bring a part of our lives to an end. One lesson learnt (again) is that our time here is short and we need to make the most of it in our own way. For us that is being able to share our love and make sure our little corner of the world is filled with joy, life and happiness. We were so lucky that Wilson and Baxter were part of our story, and they will always be with us. The chapter called Wilson and Baxter may have come to an end, but the story we are writing is not. Our new chapter is called Hudson, and after rescuing our previous 4 boxers we actually bought a pup as this time he is rescuing us!
View attachment 136243
Hi, aww your new little boy is so cute 😍. Thats terrible loosing your two boys in such a horrible year.

Ive just got my new girl, picked her up on Wednesday so shes been with us 5 days now. Im new to having boxers infact never had a puppy before either so this is a brand new but fabulous experience!! Any tips welcome! Would be nice to keep in touch with you as our little ones are the same age. Im in Yorkshire and my new girl is called Ruby. Shes spoilt already!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, aww your new little boy is so cute 😍. Thats terrible loosing your two boys in such a horrible year.

Ive just got my new girl, picked her up on Wednesday so shes been with us 5 days now. Im new to having boxers infact never had a puppy before either so this is a brand new but fabulous experience!! Any tips welcome! Would be nice to keep in touch with you as our little ones are the same age. Im in Yorkshire and my new girl is called Ruby. Shes spoilt already!
So pleased you have a new pup, your in for a world of fun with a Boxer puppy! Feel free to keep in touch :) The only advice I can give is lots of cuddles and ground rules. Boxers are by far the most loving dog you could wish for, but can be challenging to train if you don't keep them on their toes!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So pleased you have a new pup, your in for a world of fun with a Boxer puppy! Feel free to keep in touch :) The only advice I can give is lots of cuddles and ground rules. Boxers are by far the most loving dog you could wish for, but can be challenging to train if you don't keep them on their toes!
I concur ruby loves her cuddles, she is so affectionate and already follows me around. Yes I've heard they can be a struggle to train, i keep saying 'off!!' To her whenever she goes for something she shouldn't but sometimes she gets so over excited she does not listen!! If you have any particular training tips for boxers they'd be gladly received. I was wondering if it was too early to start giving her different treats, i read chicken livers were good? At the moment im just using her kibble as treats as her tummy has only just settled down.

Did you have both your boys from pups? I cannot imagine how fun having two of them must have been!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are stubborn, but as long as you are consistent and patient they are not that hard to train, remember they are very clever. Saying no is about all we do at the moment, reward with treats when they listen or distract is our tactic. We have been using these as they are grain free : Poultry Grain Free Dog Training Treats - 800 100% Natural Healthy Treat Pack - 80% Fresh Poultry Meat, 20% Potato & Sweet Potato - Hypoallergenic Treats for Dogs with Sensitive Stomachs - Gluten Free: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

Our previous 2 were rescues, one was 5 and we got a pup when he was settled in. Luckily he was a star did most of the training without us :)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Consistency and plenty of exercise are key to training a Boxer you can't be wishy washy with them either you are always the leader in their eyes. Its very hard to train a dog who is unfocused because they have so much energy to burn they aren't hearing you so they do need some activity in their lives. I think people make an overtraining mistake as well, they become bored within about 15 minutes so if they do something well don't keep repeating it on the same day over and over think of the pup as a child kids get bored tune you out same for the puppy. Dogs love a set routine and they respond very well to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hudson is now 4 1/2 months old and growing nicely. Currently at 14kg and he seems to be getting bigger by the day! Just started to loose our teeth which is a blessing as the biting is starting to subside. He is generally a good boy with no chewing and he picked up house training really quick (only a handful of accidents since day 1) He sleeps through the night and loves a walk, although walking is like a battle of wills trying to keep him focused! He wants to see everyone and eat everything, twigs, leaves and pebbles, I swear he is like a walking hoover!

I think it helps with me being at home all day as I now WFH. The time outs have dropped to a few times a day when we get silly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Aww he is so sweet. Ruby is 17 weeks old today, she is the light of my life. A real diva but georgous with it! She loves to chase leaves and birds and she also has a particular liking for chomping on gravel??! Shes pretty well behaved but nightimes are still a bit disturbed as she likes to jump in my bed in the middle of the night 😖 she just loves to cuddle! I notice you dont have any sofa covers on... ruby dives on and jumps on the back if the sofa, does hudson do this? Im forever adjusting my sofa covers and its driving my nuts but i dont want her scratching the leather !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aww he is so sweet. Ruby is 17 weeks old today, she is the light of my life. A real diva but georgous with it! She loves to chase leaves and birds and she also has a particular liking for chomping on gravel??! Shes pretty well behaved but nightimes are still a bit disturbed as she likes to jump in my bed in the middle of the night 😖 she just loves to cuddle! I notice you dont have any sofa covers on... ruby dives on and jumps on the back if the sofa, does hudson do this? Im forever adjusting my sofa covers and its driving my nuts but i dont want her scratching the leather !
She looks lovely! TBH Hudson has only just been allowed on the sofa unsupervised now he is a bit calmer. We have put a towel down at the moment as the throws were just extra toys to play with. He seems to have lost interest now and realised its nice to lay on so will go back to a throw. eating stones is the Bain of our walks! every time he sees a stone or pebble he wants it. He is now on a shorter lead which seems to be helping. I seem to remember our last pup was the same and he did grow out of it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Pam and Blackrabbit,
Hello! Welcome in to both of you! Sorry I didn't say something earlier.
I am so so Jealous of both your new pups! They are GORGOUS! Thank you for posting about them. Your comments about them being "chapters" have really resonated with me and gave me a whole new way to look at the circle of life when it comes to our Boxer pals.
I'm fairly new to the forum as well, followed a trail of tears here when we lost our wonderful fawn Boxer "Diesel" (the left glove thief) to liver cancer in March of 2019. He didn't even make it to 7, when we had to put him down it was the worst gut punch I have ever had, I questioned weather the joy of having him was worth the all the pain and sorrow of the end. Your words have really helped me to look at it in a different way.
Anyway, I hope to share some wonderful puppy news very soon with everyone and try to patch up my heart. The day we get to travel up to the breeder in Washington and pick out our new Boxer is going to be so awesome, we just better make sure to pack the kleenex cause I know we are going to need them.
On a side note I see you are both located across the pond? I feel a bond with you guys, my Dad signed up for the US Navy the day after Pearl Harbor and served this great Country for 30 years. (He told me the line to enlist in Chicago was over 4 blocks long) I came along towards the end of his Navy career and lived in Italy for 2 years and traveled all over Europe but I was too young to remember any of it. Someday I want to visit England and go across the channel and see Normandy. I'm so grateful for the courage of our forefathers and Mothers who sacrificed everything, if not for them the world may very well have taken a completely different course. It blew my mind when I watched the WW2 documentary series, those were some crazy times.
Nice to meet you both! I love hearing about mischievous puppy problems, they are such clowns!
Have a good one!
Rick (located in Happy Valley, Oregon)

323.JPG
436.JPG
454.JPG

·
Registered
873 Posts
Love those Diesel pictures! And welcome in friends from England! Your dogs are beautiful love their coat colors the girl reminds me of my previous female. I have also experienced the ground vacuuming with my two newest dogs its so frustrating thank goodness they have outgrown it (mostly) sometimes they will still pick up stuff but no where as bad as it used to be! That fixation on rocks is a scary one though they can sometimes require surgery if they become lodged somewhere. I spent a lot of time digging stuff out of mouths these last two were the worst I have ever had though. I hope your pups continue to do well though. I too would love to visit England someday, I have been reading a lot of English history these days with the virus going on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pam and Blackrabbit,
Hello! Welcome in to both of you! Sorry I didn't say something earlier.
I am so so Jealous of both your new pups! They are GORGOUS! Thank you for posting about them. Your comments about them being "chapters" have really resonated with me and gave me a whole new way to look at the circle of life when it comes to our Boxer pals.
I'm fairly new to the forum as well, followed a trail of tears here when we lost our wonderful fawn Boxer "Diesel" (the left glove thief) to liver cancer in March of 2019. He didn't even make it to 7, when we had to put him down it was the worst gut punch I have ever had, I questioned weather the joy of having him was worth the all the pain and sorrow of the end. Your words have really helped me to look at it in a different way.
Anyway, I hope to share some wonderful puppy news very soon with everyone and try to patch up my heart. The day we get to travel up to the breeder in Washington and pick out our new Boxer is going to be so awesome, we just better make sure to pack the kleenex cause I know we are going to need them.
On a side note I see you are both located across the pond? I feel a bond with you guys, my Dad signed up for the US Navy the day after Pearl Harbor and served this great Country for 30 years. (He told me the line to enlist in Chicago was over 4 blocks long) I came along towards the end of his Navy career and lived in Italy for 2 years and traveled all over Europe but I was too young to remember any of it. Someday I want to visit England and go across the channel and see Normandy. I'm so grateful for the courage of our forefathers and Mothers who sacrificed everything, if not for them the world may very well have taken a completely different course. It blew my mind when I watched the WW2 documentary series, those were some crazy times.
Nice to meet you both! I love hearing about mischievous puppy problems, they are such clowns!
Have a good one!
Rick (located in Happy Valley, Oregon)
Hey Rick, so sorry to hear about Diesel, its always hard to loose a boxer, but at such a young age is very sad. Hudson is Boxer number 5 for me and would never consider another breed. They are challenging at times, but pay you back the effort 100 fold! I hope you get your trip to the breeder soon!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hey Rick, so sorry to hear about Diesel, its always hard to loose a boxer, but at such a young age is very sad. Hudson is Boxer number 5 for me and would never consider another breed. They are challenging at times, but pay you back the effort 100 fold! I hope you get your trip to the breeder soon!
I have had 6 Boxers now and I too would not consider another breed!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts