Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

My name is Val. Just bought a brindle boxer from ft. lauderdale from a news paper ad on 6/12/07. He is 8 weeks now (6/13/07) and seems to be doing fine. Had his first vaccines and should be due up soon again. His parents were certified from the AKC and I saw the father and older brother and they looked really good, not too big not too small, pit looking. My only concern is he looks skinny. Ribs are showing a little, spine a little, and his hips too. The thing is he is active, sleeps a lot when he's done, and likes to play with the other Chihuahas that live with him. He eats about 2 cups day (Pedigree Puppy). Thats what the owners had him on. Im a little worried about his weight. What should I do? Should I worry or will he start gaining soon? Any advice?

Here are some pictures of him.

·
Registered
302 Posts
A HEALTHY 8-week old Boxer puppy is going to "look skinny"... one has to realize they grow like weeds, and it's hard to keep them looking "meaty" (not that they need to look like that)... really they're going to look thin until they strop growing in height, then they'll start adding some meat to their bones.

I wouldn't feed them any more then 2-cups a day at this stage of development, though you may want to consider a better puppy food (Nutro puppy or Canidae all stages food are both popular).

From the pictures you provided, your pup looks just right (identical to what our Odin looked like at that age).  Don't worry... a boxer is just going to look thin until he reaches full height... if he looks "meaty" as a growing pup, you're probably way overfeeding him!  Our Odin is just getting to five months old now, but he looked to have the same build as your Boxer at 8-weeks.

This is what Odin looked like at 8-weeks old...

Interesting that you already have Chihuahuas... my wife is in Texas right now and wondering about bringing back her family Chihuaua back to Florida to live with us and our Boxer... our main hold-up is wondering how our Boxer will deal with a Chihuahua in the house.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums!  :D What is your little boy's name? He looks like a cutie! The pedigree is not really a good food to be feeding. You want to find something with higher quality proteins and less fillers. I wouldn't change his food right away. Let him get used to you and his new environment, you don't want to add the stress of a new food on top of a new home and surroundings.  Here is an article from pet education about puppy feeding.

Feeding: What, When, How
Race Foster, DVM
Marty Smith, DVM
Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

Puppyhood is a time of rapid growth and development. As such, puppies require nearly double the amount of nutrients per pound of food than do older dogs. Puppies need higher levels of nutrients that are not available in regular dog food. Because of their special nutritional needs, your puppy should only receive puppy food for the first year. Most dog food manufacturers offer a special formula for puppies that is higher in protein (28%-30%), and enriched with the fat soluble and water soluble vitamins, minerals, fats, and other essentials your growing puppy needs.

Feeding the first few days

For the first few days, it is a good idea to continue feeding the same type and brand of puppy food and use the same feeding schedule the puppy was on before he came to you. Then you can slowly start using the food you have chosen based on information you received from the breeder and veterinarian. A pet needs to be switched to a new food slowly to prevent intestinal upset. By 'slowly' we mean over the course of 7-10 days, go from feeding 100% of the previous food to 100% of the new food. For example, make a mixture that contains 25% of the new food and 75% of the old food and feed that for several days. Then make it 50-50 for several days, then 75% new food to 25% old food for several days. Then you can start feeding 100% new food. If at any time your puppy starts vomiting, or has loose stools or appears constipated, slow the rate at which you are switching him over.

Type of food

We never recommend canned food or the semi-moist, fake meat burgers. Canned foods are typically higher in calories and fat and are usually 80 to 83 percent water. That makes them pretty expensive if you squeeze out the top 4/5 of the can. The semi-moist foods are about 55% water and use high salt or sugar levels for preservation. Again, you are paying too much for water and puppies do not need the salt and sugar. Dry foods are only 9 to 11 percent water and are made of the same quality ingredients as the other types. They are more economical, easier to use, and in our opinion, better for your dog.

Dogs on dry foods typically have fewer intestinal upsets, either diarrhea or constipation. They have fewer problems with unwanted weight gain. We see no advantage as far as hair coat or skin quality is concerned with those on canned foods. Probably the most important advantage of using dry foods and feeding them dry is that the abrasive action of eating them is good for the dog

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks guys fore responding. my worries are somewhat gone lol. his name is Beaux (Bo) and i want him to be a meaty muscular dog. like a pit almost, but not as muscular. Odin looks like a great dog as well. Im trying to find a place where I can get his ears cropped but not that high. Any suggestions as well? Prices?
Ill start getting him on a different food. Kind of new to this so much help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
302 Posts
vbgambini\";p=\"13022 said:
hey thanks guys fore responding. my worries are somewhat gone lol. his name is Beaux (Bo) and i want him to be a meaty muscular dog. like a pit almost, but not as muscular. Odin looks like a great dog as well. Im trying to find a place where I can get his ears cropped but not that high. Any suggestions as well? Prices?
Ill start getting him on a different food. Kind of new to this so much help will be appreciated.
Odin's ears aren't really very tall... they're quite "medium" to be true.  If Odin's ears were any shorter they'd start looking like a Pitbull cut, and I don't think you want that (trust me, your Boxer will get mistaken for a Pit enough as-is, it's the Boxers lot in life).  You're seeing low-res pics of Odin in not the most flattering positions... here's a picture of Odin's ears at 4-months old (couple of weeks ago).

If you want to get Beaux's ears cropped, you need to get a move-on!  Most vets want to crop between 10-14 weeks of age, and almost none of them will do it past 16 weeks old... we picked the vet to do the job at 10-weeks of age, but couldn't get him scheduled till he was 13-weeks old (the vet wouldn't touch him until they were sure all shots and meds were up-to-date, and Odin had some other unrelated minor problems that needed to be cleared up first).

As for where to get them done, you can always come to the other end of Florida, we know a great place in Pensacola!  :lol:  

But seriously... if you want to avoid a 12-hour drive to Pensacola, I'd recomend hanging out where the dogs are... go to dog parks, Petsmart... wherever you can find dogs and see if you can run-across some Boxers with cropped ears... then ask where they got them done if you like the look... we did that (along with other word-of-mouth advice) and settled on Odin's vet to get his ears cropped.

Odin's crop is pretty standard for a Boxer crop... much taller and it looks like a Great Dane cut... much shorter and it looks like a Pit Bull crop... of course your dog's crop is your decision... that's just how we decided to get Odin's look... also, make sure you get lots of pictures of how you want your crop to look... a good vet will ask how you want them cut, and the more samples you provide the better!

Oh... Odin's crop cost about $190 (including the crop and after-care tapings).  Most of the Boxers on this forum have natural ears, but if you want to ask about cropping, Mastray and I will be happy to help however we can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow thats almost exactly how i want them cropped. and yea i dont want them  to look like a pit due to them being illegal here in Miami-Dade. and that price sounds pretty decent. i hear that cropping can go from 300-500$???!!! and his shots, im not positive when his next shots will happen but it will be in the next 2 weeks.

I was also told from the guy i bought him from about asking the vet if they also cut the front corner of the ear (by his head). does that sound familiar at all?

by the way your dog looks awesome!!!! Odin may have to be Beaux new idol hahaha.

thanks for all the help. i need a lots of it. what kind of food do you feed him? i want him to be a muscular dog.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also Beaux ears are a little different in height wise if you look at the 3rd pic. will that be a problem? his fathers cut is nice and they stay up. but his brother one ear dosent stay up as well. will that hurt me at all? genetic?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't think uneven ears will effect a crop at all... in fact, a crop is more likely to "correct" the uneveness.

Without rehashing everything already posted and already said about Odin's crop (which was extensive), here's a couple of links that might help you out...

Odin's New Look thread.

Cropping thread.

Try looking at those two threads... there are a lot of shots of Odin at various stages both before and after his cropping, along with some discussion of care.

If you have questions (which I'm sure you will) just post them in those threads or here and we'll be sure to answer.

As for getting ears to stand-up, it's differant on every dog, but TIMING is everything... which is why you need to get your crop between 10-14 weeks.  If the crop is done much later you'll have a harder time getting them to stand... also (of course) the taller the crop the harder it is to stand (another reason why Odin's is a "medium" crop).  Also, realize it's going to look a LOT differant from the day you bring him home and after a few weeks of healing!  So don't freak-out!  (look at Odins' pictures in the threads provided above).

Here's the basic steps in a run-down from what OUR vet did (different vets may vary)

1) Took Odin in for crop... he came back with sutures, but NO TAPING.

...wait one full week...

2) Bring Odin back to vet... sutures removed.

...wait one full week...

3) Odin taping by vet (if needed, and it was for Odin).

...wait one about 4 days...

4) Taping removed...

...wait about 3 days...

5) bring-back and retape as need be (repeat steps 3-5)... Odin only needed ONE taping to get what we wanted.

P.S.
Odin's been on "Purina Pro Plan - Lamb and Rice - Puppy" since we've had him... he's been getting roughly two cups a day, though we're upping it a bit now that he's getting on to 5-months old.  We're getting ready to switch him over to Nutro - Lamb and Rice - Puppy, because it doesn't have corn in it... not that Odin has done poorly on his old food... we're not too worried about the switch because Odin will eat ANYTHING that's in front of his nose in about five-seconds flat.  The main thing to remember is to look at the ingredients on the bag... you want a REAL meat as the first ingredient (not corn or a meat by-product)... basically, the cheaper the food, the cheaper the ingredients, so don't be a miser on the dog food, it will reflect in the dog.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Welcome and your pup looks fine to me.  My Fiona is 4 months old and is still skinny looking....No worries they will grow all to fast! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
he looks really good. i love that size. thats where i want Beaux to be at. So you did his at 10 weeks right? The way you put it seems that the aftercare dosent seem to stressful like others say it is. All of that cost 190$?

another thing. i work this summer from 8-4. will that be dangerous for me to leave him alone in a crate or by himself in my room if i were to get his ears done?

I really want this done but i feel like its a lot of work, price maybe diff here in miami, and im scared to leave him alone with the ears raw like that, or just the whole progress with him like that. but u make it seem pretty easy.

what you think????

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thanks... like I said, Odin has been on two-cups a day of Purina Pro Plan Lamb and Rice for puppies from 8-weeks till now (almost 5 months)... though we are switching him to Nutro Lamb and Rice for puppies when his current bag runs out.

We found the vet we wanted to crop Odin at when he was 10-weeks old... but his actual procedure wasn't started (the actual cropping) till he was 13-weeks old.  Make sure you find a vet to do this procedure as quick as you can... because you'll need to SCHEDULE the cropping too, and if it's a busy vet, that may take some time (plus the vet may want to make sure your dog has certain shots before doing the procedure).  We did a LOT of research on WHEN you're supposed to crop... almost every source listed differant times, but on-average, almost all sources agreed on roughly 10-14 weeks, and almost all agreed that after 16-weeks was too-late.  Since your Beaux is already 8-weeks old, you need to act fast before the window closes (finding, scheduling and ensuring Beaux is ready with shots/etc for the procedure).

Remember, every vet and every dog is differant... I described the process that Odin went though... cropping one day... sutchers-only for a week... then sutchers removed... wait another week, and finally, we had Odin taped for a few days then removed the taping and we were satisfied.

I've heard of some vets that tape immediately after cropping, but our vet thought letting the fresh cut get air circulation was better then taping them up immediately (same after removing sutchers).  We had a very good experience with Odin's cropping and didn't run into any complications of any sort... the vet also did the taping themselves (which was included in the cropping price of $190... of course we live in low-cost Pensacola, not Miami).

Now one thing that is definately different for us... my wife is a stay-at-home mother... so when Odin had his crop done, my wife was around to watch and make-sure he didn't tear at his sutchers.  If you work and don't have the same benefit... if you want to make sure Beaux doesn't scratch at his ears, I'd recomend one or two solutions so you can proceed without worry...

1) Have the crop done before the weekend (like on a Friday), or right before whenever you get a couple of days off from work (I assume you don't work 7-days a week).  That way you can watch Beaux for a couple of days after the surgery to see if he scratches at his ears or not.

2) if/when you have to go back to work, you should know if you can trust him or not to scratch at his ears... if he does scratch, then you'll just have to suck-up and get one of those really stupid-looking plastic pet-collars that prevents them from scratching... looks stupid, but they do work (for the record, Odin was really good about NOT scratching his ears... of course Beaux may react differantly).

3) Odin's ears were about 90% healed within a week when the sutchers were removed, and we weren't really concerned of him aggravating his ears after one week post-surgery... the main thing was just waiting for his ears to stand on their own (which took 3-4 weeks after the surgery if you viewed the threads I linked).

My wife and I didn't find the process very stressfull at all... (Odin himself had very tender ears for about 3 or 4 days, then seemed pretty okay with them) then again, we may be the lucky ones, but we had a very good process.  I think the biggest shock was the day we brought him home from the crop, his ears were all droopy, hairless, red and rather sad looking... we thought we ruined our dog!  Of course the end-result was very excellent... I'd say both ears were standing up pretty good two weeks after the cropping and after the 1st (and only) taping, they got to where they are today (mind you, one ear did take longer then the other to stand straight... it happens).  We love Odin's ears and are very glad we got them cropped.

Three weeks after Odin's actual cropping started...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Welcome and your boy is adorable. He looks fine and what OdinsDad said about they will look thin is true. From the pics he looks perfectly fine. I fed Zeus Pedigree when he was a pup and i wish that i would have put him on something different. I am using Canidae All Life Stages now. I would recommend something a little better than Pedigree.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hello and Welcome!!!  Beaux is very cute!!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to both of you. Beaux is a cutie and looks just right for 8 weeks...They grow so darn fast at that age that you can expect then to go thru the "skinny" stages a couple of times. As for being muscular, part of that is genetics and part is the type and how much exercise you give Beaux. Don't start any serious exercise too young as the bones are still forming & developing..Walking, the rule of thumb is 5 minutes for every month of age. Until he has had all his shots, I would keep walks to your property and limit his exposure to other dogs. Once he's about a year and his pretty much quit growing then, you can start more serious exercising. I found the best exercise is swimming if he is willing, of course. The added benefit is that it really builds up their chest. Buck was in the pool all the time and he had a very muscular chest, but keep in mind we weren't trying to do that, it just happened as a result of the swimming. My Angel, who is 22 mos may not look it, but that girl is all muscle, she weighs 55 lbs and there is no fat on her...Genetics....Samson is very stocky and I'm sure never had that type of muscle tone when he was young. Now at the ripe ole age of 10, he gets to spend his golden years as he likes, sleeping.... :lol:

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like and you might find it helpful to go thru the Puppy section for tips, advice, etc and also the Training section....

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

Sorry to pop in late on this but, I just brought my girl home last week and she looks like a rack of bones. She eats great though and you can definitely tell she's getting bigger! I can tell be/c she likes to be carried like a baby everywhere.. lol

I have her on Purina Pupp Chow (grrrr) right now because thats what she was on and I didn't want to do any changes since I wormed her and coming into a home with other dogs. After this back, she's going to Nutro like the others..

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Hello and welcome! you boy is beautiful!! Cropping prices vary everywhere! in my area when i worked at the e-vet the prices started at 500 and that was over 2 years ago!! so i would hate to see what they are charging now.  good luck with your research on this.

As for the food, i would switch. We recently actually switched our girls from an all stages food to Nutro Natural. They both love it!! we used to have to add canned food in with their food to get them to eat, but ever since i switched i dont need to do that. They eat regularly and i havent had any problems. Good luck! keep us posted and keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Welcome... He is adorable...

And i will reiterate what everyone else has said... At 8 weeks they all look like skin and bones!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts