Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say hi from Missouri. A little about me.. I'm a BOXER lover through and through.. I am a hobby breeder, I have 2 females ( Penny a flashy fawn, Jasmine a reverse flashy brindle and Bear my loving male) thank you all for allowing me to join here at boxer forums, I am always looking to learn more. I ( actually my entire family) has raised boxers for about 25 years. Again thank you. I look forward to meeting everyone and sharing stories and information.. :D

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome to Boxer Forums!

Hannabanana, depending on what you read or where you've heard the term, a hobby breeder should just be another term for reputable breeder. However, I've heard some definite byb's (by most of our standards) call themselves a hobby breeder.

·
Registered
942 Posts
tootsie\";p=\"76395 said:
Welcome to Boxer Forums!

Hannabanana, depending on what you read or where you've heard the term, a hobby breeder should just be another term for reputable breeder. However, I've heard some definite byb's (by most of our standards) call themselves a hobby breeder.
Personally when I hear hobby breeder, I think byb.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you are right breeding my furbabbies is much more than a hobby. My family and I have been breeding for over 20 years. I love the breed. They are amazing. The only reason I say hobby is because I have a full time job not that I would love to be able to stay home with my "kids" it is just not possible. I live near the AR. line in south east missouri.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You never learn anything with out asking questions.... I used to show but do not anymore. And Yes all of my "kids" are health tested, Up to date on all vaccinations, Ginger ( our vet ) and I are of course best friends. Yes I do DNA my pups occasionally just in case someone wants Proof. I only let my pups go to homes with responsible new owners ( at least I try to screen as best as I can, But a lot of that is personal Judgment), If ever a new owner is not able to care for one of the pups ( or adult ) I always offer to take them back. I breed for temperament, color and markings, size, and of course healthy pups. I am a firm believer of obedience training for my "kids" and that is something I do my self. I have my own studd because just to be sort of blunt. I know his temperament, health and background, and the fact I couldn't bare sending my girls to someone else's home to be breed. If I ever have a pup in one of my litters ( I haven't ever had any health problems yet.) that i did not feel ( or my vet) was up to standards that pup would have a wonderful home here with our family but I would have that pup neutered or spayed. I hope i covered your questions. if you have any more please ask. I enjoy answering them.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
So you are using your vet to evaluate you dogs standard wise?  Is that your male in the first picture?  He looks a bit mastiff and big looking?  

What health tests do you do?

Breed for color and markings, never heard that one before, do you have a particular color you like to get when breeding?  And size, I though they ar supposed to be one size?   maybe I was off?

Thanks for answering my questions, I like to learn, there is soooo much to asorb esp with this breed!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Oh thought of another one.

You have your own stud dog, what makes him the perfect mate for your females?  I have heard that many breeders often select other kennels for their mating because they have to find the best match for their dogs and most of the time its not their own dogs - stucture wise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes that is bear he is 2years 6 mo. And the light of my life..No he is not a mastiff he is a akc boxer. Body size ranges to some extent and he is a little larger than some males. But he is a big teddy bear. My health screening includes Pretty much the usual heart defects, dysplasia, genetic defects, I am really picky of where any new pup comes from ( I really check out the breeder before i will buy a pup from them) I like all of the colors boxers come in. I do like to get brindle in my litters, therefore i breed a specific male to a female for there markings ( fawn black mask, Flashy fawn or brindle) It is really all in the genetics but i get good results with a lot of research. My vet makes suggestions  a lot. I have known her for years and she too is a boxer lover so we have a lot of discussions over breed standards. And I do a lot of research on the Internet ( which includes looking at a lot of pictures and going to any of the dog shows i can get to.) My dad brought home our first boxer in 1985 and I fell in love with the breed from day one.. I have had many touch my life in the past and they all will be loved and remembered fondly. And hope that boxers will touch my life for ever.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I do have my own studs. I selected each one because of temperament ( and the temperament of their parents). For the most part Each of they boys was selected to be breed with a specific female. Or the other way around in some cases ( such as bears case, I Recently purchased a female to breed with bear). Bear as you probably have guessed is my big baby. His owner was no longer able to provide the proper care for him ( due to the owners health). I was contacted by my vet and adopted bear into our family. Fortunately his previous owner knew he was not going to be able to care for him much longer ( In my opinion) made the right decision to find him a home. We were going to have him fixed but loved his temperament, size, markings ( well pretty much everything about him..) and after all of the health tests came back decided to keep him as a stud. Bear was only 11 mo old at the time. We go to visit his previous owner quite often. Ohhh just in case you were wondering all of my boxers live in the house with us..( I have more kennels in my living room than i do furniture....LOL) I just bought a new computer and have not gotten all of my pictures transfer to the new one. I hope to have the time soon to do that. I will post Pict's of all of our fur-kids.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Pretty much the usual heart defects, dysplasia, genetic defects
Heath screening heart, how do you do it?  I have heard of some ways but interesting to see what specific tests you do.

Also you say dysplasia, does that me use xray the hips and register them if OFA or Pen Hip?

How about Thyroid?  

What do you consider genetic defects in a boxer?

Also you vet seems to know about boxer standards, thats cool, so by measuring your male his is with standard, head has 1:3 ratio and square right?  How is his topline?  I was told those were some of the most important structure things to look for.

Also I am thinking of showing, why did you quit showing?   Does your male have show potential, and if so, what makes him show quality.?

am really picky of where any new pup comes from ( I really check out the breeder before i will buy a pup from them)
What makes you pick a breeder or makes you select a puppy from a breeder.  I love when breeder give answers on other breeders, makes me wonder what they look for.  Also do you sell your pups with full registration or do you enforce a spay neuter contract.

Thanks for all the info, its helping a lot.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
We were going to have him fixed but loved his temperament, size, markings ( well pretty much everything about him..) and after all of the health tests came back decided to keep him as a stud. Bear was only 11 mo old at the time.
How can you rescue him and then use him as stud not knowing his background?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts