Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I personally did not know his background but i do know of the kennel he was breed from. And my vet has always been his vet since 8 weeks when the original owner brought him home. That gave me a really good idea of his background. I have not breed him yet. we have just completed all the tests to make sure he is healthy in every way possible because he just turned 2 a few months ago so he is just now able to have most of the test done. In my opinion Bear would not be suitable for show. Structure wise he is in proportion but his markings are not quite what I would take into the show ring. Showing takes a lot of time and I have 4 human kids 6 dogs a cat and a large # of fish ( 100 aquarium) not counting a full time job. I am a single mom, Just to many things to be able to show anymore..I would love to show Penny, Jazmin, Misty, and (or) Bo. The female i chose for Bear was to compliment his weaknesses ( markings ,in my opinion i would like to see a little more white in his chest, the female i chose has almost 1/3 ratio of white). I do know that Bear is on the larger side of the boxer spectrum and that is not always best but his other qualities I would like to see in the pups. I will breed him this first time  and depending on what we have will depend on weather I use him for a stud again. As for what I look for in a breeder, A lot of things i guess, I like to talk to them personally, I like to see where their dogs are raised, what they look like, how they greet strangers, try to judge there temperament, Vet records, I like to talk to their vet ( not all breeders will give you permission for that),I like to see their background if i can,  and a lot of it is just judgment i do put a lot of time into selecting a new puppy. As for testing a lot of that is up to my vet she is good at what she does, I do a lot of research on what testing is available ( try to keep up on any new testing that is now available), blood work, x rays, ultrasound,. I don't enforce  a spay or neuter contract although sometimes It might be a good idea but I think that is really up to the new owner, there is a lot of controversy over that ( I know there is a lot of unwanted animals out there, that are not taken care of) I have a lot of opinions on that subject.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Katt -  thanks I appreciate you honesty in answering my questions.  While there are some things I dont agree, I do think you should def consider the s/n idea or institude a non breeding agreement.    Where as its up to the new owner, I think it leaves way too much for the possiblity of reproducing unknowns.   Some people dont have the same thought process of producing healthy, to standard dogs improving the quality of the breed all together, yet they look at breeding for other purposes.     What happens if someone breeds to a dog with a history of cancer or DM in its lines?   Its like a loaded bullet IMO, and anything you as a breeder can do to protect the breed, and keep the population down and dogs out of our rescues, I think that is a great way to go and adds character to your program.  (Just my opinion)

So welcome to the forum, there are some things you may want to glance over in the breeding section that may enhance, improve and better you program:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I am always eager to accept ideas from others , that is why I wanted to join here.. thanks again
PS. I agree with you about the idea of a spay or neuter policy it is something i have been considering for a long time there are way to many problems with overpopulation,
I once was heartbroken over a pup from a breeder that did enforce  neuter policy, it was over a pup that in my opinion was of excellent quality, but the breeder did not agree and required he was neutered..

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I once was heartbroken over a pup from a breeder that did enforce  neuter policy, it was over a pup that in my opinion was of excellent quality, but the breeder did not agree and required he was neutered..
Everyone has IMO a different opinion on what makes a dog breeding quality and what does not.  Obviously it was something the breeder saw hence the request to neuter.   In the end, its her kennel name that is responsible for the pet, and to protect it is to enforce the pup as being strickly a pet pup.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I agree it was his kennel name, but i did not purchase the pup, and i did find out later it was not because of any issue in quality of the pup but in his own mind the competition that may come from the breeding of that pup in the future.( The comment was made to that effect,) Personally I would like to see only the best qualities of the boxer breed carried on to the next generation and as few of the genetic defects as possible. At least that is my personal opinion. I haven't had a litter in 2 years and am not planning on breeding until next year ( Penny will be almost 3 then)

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
welcome from chicago!!! wow! i learned alot reading through this thread!! awesome! can't wait to see pics of ALL your babies :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to say hi from Missouri. A little about me.. I'm a BOXER lover through and through.. I am a hobby breeder, I have 2 females ( Penny a flashy fawn, Jasmine a reverse flashy brindle and Bear my loving male) thank you all for allowing me to join here at boxer forums, I am always looking to learn more. I ( actually my entire family) has raised boxers for about 25 years. Again thank you. I look forward to meeting everyone and sharing stories and information.. :D
Looking for a female boxer pup. No need for champion bloodlines. Any available in Missouri?

·
Administrator
7,184 Posts
Looking for a female boxer pup. No need for champion bloodlines. Any available in Missouri?
This thread is 12 years old. I doubt anyone on it is still active. Please feel free to start a new thread HOWEVER this is not a sales page. We are happy to recommend and refer breeders in your area.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts