Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This is Zulu who turned 8 months old on the 1st of jan, 08. We live in Singapore. He doesn't eat much, doesn't care about food. Am worried he's really skinny, he weighs 22kg (48.4 lbs).
cheers
K

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Welcome!
I think Zulu looks great. Boxers are supposed to be lean, especially as growing pups.  Too much weight puts unnecessary strain on joints and ligaments and growth plates.  They will start filling out a little after 1 or 1.5 years.  Seeing the last one or two sets of ribs is ok.  I would only say they are too skinny when you see more ribs- or their hip bones and spine start to stick out.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
i agree he looks just fine. Boxers are meant to be lean so Zulu looks excellent to me. Welcome to the forum,glad to have you.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum, love Zulu's cute little face.  Kiah was 52lbs at 8.5 months old so that weight sounds good.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome!  :D  Zulu doesn't look too skinny to me! Love the name too!

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
welcome form Chicago! i think zulu looks wonderful! i wouldn't worry.  he really does look healthy.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Welcome from Texas! I love the last one of Zulu's face - so cute! Don't worry, they fill out as they get older. My Lucy is 9 mos. and is going through phases of that lanky look too.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Welcome aboard.  Has he been neutered?  Some people theorize that neutering/spaying early will cause animals to have a longer/lanky look and they can be skinny.  Personally, i think he's growing up, which most boxers do the 1st year, then he'll start to bulk up.  Is he begging for food?  What are you feeding him?

G

·
0 Posts
I have a 10 month old male, Bo who is 46 lbs so I think Zulu is fine!  Handsome boy!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Zulu looks good. I agree, Boxers are suposed to be lean. I was told by my breeder that boxers really start to fill out around 2 years old. Welcome from Alabama! WOOOO-WOOOO from Harley and Dozer!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Hi and welcome - Zulu is adorable and I love his cute little face.  He looks very healthy to me and his coat is so shiney - I wouldn't worry about him at all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a ton guys. Feeling better after reading all your replies. He doesn't beg for food at all. In fact, we're the ones doing the begging, begging him to eat. The person we bought Zulu from (when he was 2.5 months old) was feeding him Science diet puppy lamb and rice. I gradually switched him to Canidae als. Since Zulu didn't bother to eat, we switched him to Solid Gold puppy formula, then Wellness puppy, Timberwolf lamb, barley & apples and currently on Nutro Holistic puppy. We've tried the 20 min rule, leaving the food for 20 min and removing the leftover. Well, it doesn't help. So finally we've decided to stick to Nutro for a while, as there's been a lot of diet changes already. Am keeping my fingers crossed.
Once again, thanks everyone.
K

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to you & Zulu, great name...I think he looks great..As was already stated, it's better healthwise for your Boxer to be a bit lean, especially as he gets up in years...Vey hard to get weight off, so why not keep him healthy now?  :)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Hello and Welcome!! Zulu is such a cutie. I have  a female who will be 1 in a few days and she is yet to hit 50 lbs. from his pic i think he looks great. Also it could be the food. have you made any changes to his diet lately???that or he could be bored with it, and maybe you could switch to give him a bit of variety.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi cruiser, i'm benny from singapore. i'd like to learn more about boxers. i'm not too sure on how to pm. can u drop me a buzz at 9878 2773?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi cruiser, Zulu looks healthy and happy. My Cato is going through the same thing. He won't eat alot, and I am the one doing the begging, but he seems happy and energetic so I don't worry about it. I lived in Singapore for a year when I was ten. I went to an international school called Dover. Is it still there?! I enjoyed your country and it is so clean!! I love the food there, and my favorite has to be the fish balls!!! I love it. One day I will be back to visit :)

Please post more pictures of Zulu. Welcome from Miami FL!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts