Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Glad to be here and I will have a lot of reading to do and some questions along the way.

I have reserved by first Boxer for a Thanksgiving arrival (ahhh) and really can't wait.

My short boring story is I have a male Shetland Sheepdog right now that I love to death but he is the most scared dog of strangers I have ever seen. Shetlands (some) can be know for their shyness but he takes it to another level. He trusts no one but me. I did my part early on with socialization but he just never broke free of his shyness. I have had him now for 4 years plus.

My mom turned 84 and was living a lone and out of state. It was time to move her in so I can watch over her. It has been three months now and my Shetland will come close but will not allow her to pet him. Just odd dog.

I love him to death but I have been considering a second dog that might be more like a dog for a while now. I have always loved the Boxers from a far and after my decision was made and after some reading I decided to go with a female Boxer. I think I wanted to try a boy but with already having a male Shetland who is already on the shy side I thought best to stay with a female to try to give this my best foot forward and a happy home.

I think it will be good for me, my Shetland and my Mom who it will be nice has a companion with her when I am work. I think it will be good for all of us. I hope the new baby is a cuddle bug as i just don't get that too much from Ollie. We play and walk (he loves walks and playing) but then retreats due to my mom.

Let's see how it all goes. I am so excited!! I hope she is all I think she will be and perhaps in the long run will help my Shetland if not just me.

I tend to be drawn to the lighter fawn and a full black mask if possible but they all are so beautiful. But my no name is fawn

Thanks for listening and glad to be here!

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi Rick! You will definitely get you cuddle bug! Not sure how already timid Ollie will take to a rambunctious Boxer pup though. He may never come out of hiding! Also, you're getting a girl which are harder to train. Some here will definitely chime in on that aspect! Be ready! Boxers seem to be unlike any other dog in that they have many human-like qualities and they are literally puppies til the day they die. Keep us posted with updates and pictures! And of course, Good Luck!! and Welcome!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome from Livermore. I have a 1 year old dog that is on the small side 40lbs and happens to be friendly to everyone. My girl boxer somehow will not over eat and doesnt like treats.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Hey thanks for the welcome but this place is deader than a brothel in the bible belt :cry:

Rick
LOL well it varies form day to day but "trust me" it's one of the "best" Boxers Boards out there. :clap:

But since it's slow for "Boxers" at the moment ... your sheltie. Take a nother approach if he has a people issue fine. He does not have to like/trust people he only has to like/trust you.

He only has to be able to "tolerate" people without losing it. See two links here ... Who Pets my Puppy or Dog and Five Golden rules in here:

German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New Dog, Very Challenging

In addition at home train the "Place Command" keep company out of his face and just let him "watch" no interaction required. And practice/train "Set on the Dog" in public. Again no interaction with people required his job is to do nothing. :)

http://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

Welcome aboard. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts