Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! So finally I got to a computer... they've been around me, I just haven't had the time. Anyway... I'm really on here right now because I want some advice and opinions...

My father is going to let me take my late mothers chihuahua back to FL if I say for sure that's what I want to do. Well, I would really LOVE to do that... chihuahua's are indoor dogs not outdoor (which is the set-up right now), they need lots of love and attention (which isn't the case since my father still works and is very busy with two church's and all kinds of other things), and she's at least 10 yrs old... which I truly think if we started feeding her better food and put her on flea and tick medicine and started keeping her indoors again it could easily add five more yrs to her life.

My problem... not really problem but the only reason why I'm not jumping on it is because of Odin. He seems to be great with us and that great dane that was in the class (or other bigger dogs) but like with our neighbors cocker spaniel he really acts like he's trying to hurt it. I don't know if it's a MALE dominance thing or what but I don't want to drive Nikki all the way back to FL and then not be able to keep her... I can't just say... "Oh I guess it won't work out... here dad you'll have to take her back." I want her to have a better life... even more so with me but I'm worried about Odin. Any idea's or tips... or steps that I can take to INSURE they'll get along...?

Oh and she's a very head strong dog... she's definitely the alpha FEMALE... here's a pic from 7 yrs ago of her...

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I hope you are having a great time in TX!  :D
I know of a couple, about 2 boxers that have either a chi or pug as a dog sis and they get along great. Maddie was raised with two chi's, however I didn't have her as a pup so I really don't know how they got along, but I know they are all still living!  :p
Being that the chi is a female and Odin is a male, and a young one, there may not be any issues. If the chi is the alpha she will probably put Odin in his place. Was the chi raised with dogs? If you really want to bring back the chi I say go for it!
Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation!  :D

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Mastray----Hello from Hawaii!!!!!

We hope things are going well!!!  

I think that if you take the chihuahua home with you that some of the issues you are concerned about will evaporate before your eyes.  Boxers are prone to sexual in-fighting (like nearly every other breed out there).  As Odin is a male, he is more likely to "disagree" with other males.  The fact that he is in class obedience training is great, especially in this case, because it is socializing him to a variety of other dogs.  You will just need to teach Odin that Nikki is small and how to appropriately play with her.  

It is actually pretty likely that she will teach him a few tricks on her own as well as teach him the difference between appropriate and inappropriate behavior with her and other small dogs.  Older dogs tend to teach younger dogs (even without realizing it).  She is more likely to have a few issues with Odin than he will.  A lot of small dogs can be fearful of bigger breed dogs.  This is a size thing.  

The introduction:

Do it slow and on neutral ground.  Do not take them to a park that Odin goes to frequently (he will look at this as his territory).  Go to a new park.  Have your hubby meet you there.  Take the dogs to seperate ends and work a little obedience with Odin (and Nikki, if she has training).  Walk them in a wide circle and stop occassionally to work obedience commands.  Slowly move them closer together allowing mild interest.  When one or the other shows inappropriate interest or if aggression becomes apparent widen the circle a bit and and keep going at the "offending" dogs pace.   Once you get them close enough to really check each other out (ie: sniff hindquarters etc...) watch Odins behavior.  If he play bows and behaves in an accepting and acceptable manner  and Nikki is not frightened and is accepting of the behavior then you can make your way home.  If not then repeat the above steps until they are.  It may take a while (1 hour or more, but it's pretty good exercise for both of them).  Go at the dogs' pace.

When you get home:

Reintroduce them in the FRONT yard or driveway.  Do this slowly and at their pace.  When they are again behaving appropriately and are accepting of each other you can go into the house.  Let Odin go in first.  It's still HIS house and that shouldn't change for the moment.  Keep them both on lead or well supervised as much as possible the first week or so just to be able to watch their interactions together and make corrections quickly as necessary.  Walk them together and give them lots of love together.

Odin may back slide with some of his training.  Just keep an eye on him and start from step one if necessary.  He also may become a bit jealous.  Spread the love and make sure he knows that she is a new member of the pack and that YOU are the leader.  Obedience training would probably be a good idea for Nikki too as it will help cement her bond with all of you!!!

I hope this helps and I hope you can bring her home!!!  I think it's wonderful that you are considering doing this.  If you do....We want pix!!!!!  ( like you don't already know this!!!)  

Good luck!!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
508 Posts
I hope you are having fun here in Texas, the weather has sucked the last day and a half in Dallas which is where i am. Raining off and on. But now that i am looking i see it is sunny now. I agree with lillyzmomma. Great advice.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hehe... Chihuahuas...  :roll:

Here's a better picture of Nikki... though, it's an old pic too (from 2001)... hey... that looks like a younger Mastray holding Nikki!

According to Mastray, Nikki was born in 1995 (making Nikki now 12yo)... though there is some debate on this subject with Mastray's family!  (they think Nikki may be older) :doh:

Chihuahua lifespan is supposedly 8-18 years for what it's worth.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Id say go for it!!!!!!!!! I never knew those little doggies lived that long :lol:

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's amazing the whole "How old is Nikki?" thing has turned into a huge debate here! I finally decided that the way to find out would be to call Dr.Martin... the vet Nikki use to go to... to find out. So FIRST thing tomorrow! I also want to get some flea and tick medicine for her RIGHT AWAY cuz'... it's bad!!   :(  I truly think I'm going to bring her back I just wanted some tips or opinions thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Hi Mastray! Glad to see you made it safe and sound. Nikki is a cutie! Chloe did the same type of thing that Odin does with my mom's pug. But once she snapped at Chloe a few times she's never done it since. Now they get along fine.  Hope it all works out for ya's! Have a safe trip home  :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Glad you made it girl and hope you are having a good time, despite the circumstances..Having had to do the same thing last year, I know it's tough...

I'd bring Nikki back. From what you say I think it should be ok.. Odin is still young, you have been working on socializing him, he seems pretty laid back, so why not? Lillyzmomma gave you some great tips which should come in handy. Sounds like she would thrive living with you, hubby & Odin, so it might be the best thing for her... :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Our girls were very bad with small dogs that the neighbors had (chi, cocker spaniel, etc.) but they were always running into our yard (neighbors don't take care of their dogs) so they felt it was a threat and would be mean to them if they got ahold of them.   But if the dog was introduced to them and they got to know a smaller dog (several were in dog obedience classes and while my daughter showed at the fair, etc.) they were fine, played together, etc.  I think it was worse too when we had three females, they were a pack and didn't like other dogs in their territory.  One on one they were much better with other animals.  

Our cat was best buddies with our Calli.  Our other cat plays with Teaki and Ziggi and sleeps with them.  I think the Chi will do fine with Odin and it sounds like Nikki will have a much better life with you.

·
Registered
491 Posts
My mom has a 9 yr old chihauhua, Taco, and both Gunnar and Ginger get along great with him.  She also has a 5 yr old cocker and he and Gunnar hate each others guts!  We have to keep them separate at all times, but Taco and Gunnar do fine together.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Glad you made it there safely! If it was me I would have taken her home yesterday!  :wink:  She's a doll baby!  I have a very soft spot for chihuahuas and I love their personalities..

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whatever honey! You're the one who brought up how I should ask my dad if I could bring her back!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mastray\";p=\"13300 said:
Whatever honey! You're the one who brought up how I should ask my dad if I could bring her back!!
Stop spreading vicious rumors.  I would never request bringing a rat-dog home.  :roll:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts