Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it’s been 12+ years since we had a Boxer puppy and as normal you only remember the good times. Potty training has been a chore. Teething is a chore she chews on anything she can get a chance too. She has lost at least one of her baby teeth and as per the vet she should have most of her adult teeth by 6 months.

Anyway Gracie is 17 weeks old at 16 weeks she weighted 26 pounds and is skinny. I’ve increased her food about once a month she is up to 1 cup three times a day. I’m going to up it to a total of 3 1/2 cups a day. We’re feeding her Purina One Plus. I had started her on Orijen but our vet recommended we find a puppy food with some grain as in resent studies it was found that Boxers puppies need the grain to support healthy hearts.

so if anyone has a suggestion on a harness for a boxer puppy please share, I bought one but it just doesn’t fit the shape of a boxer.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I am so glad you took the Vets advice on getting a grain inclusive food I lost two Boxers to grain free dog food. It is quite a shock to the system starting over with a puppy you do forget how much work they are but it’s all worth it in the end. I don’t generally use harnesses but the one I did use was an easy walk harness but had to get a fleece band to put on the under part of it they have no hair and thin skin in the armpit area and harnesses can rub the area sore.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Just my opinion, but i have never used a harness unless i wanted my dog to work. Bike rides etc. I find that a harness will do the exact opposite of what you want if you are using it to teach a pup how to walk correctly with you. While it may feel you have more control, none of that control is being relayed to the pup.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
You really don't want to start walking your puppy on a "Harness?" Gentle Harness, and such uh "Crap," not with standing a Harness is designed for a dog to pull. Think "Husky and not Seeing Eye dog's (Special Case There.)

But for the most part if you start out using a harness? Then most likely you will be in two three month's asking how to stop your dog from ''Dragging you and being reactive to other dog's on walks?"

A Slip Lead Leash or a regular collar and a flat leash ... is a much better choice.

I started with a regular and a leash myself and I was really good with it. And at a Boxer Rescue event I was given a Boxer that pulled really bad (so that said?) And I and no issues? So after that ... I really only use a SLL these days and a just a note ... when I turned the that same dog over back to his regular handle at the end of the uh ... he pulled her around like a Rag Doll? So yeah ...

But nonetheless, forget the freaking the harness in the long run it will cause nothing but grief! Take a look here :

A long line and a slip leash ....you can train "Recall and Lesah Walking ," at the same time.
See here:

And here ... :

Now I did not break it down this much myself? But in retrospect it is what I did.

If you just slap a "harness," and go at? It is not gonna work in the long run? I see ton's of harness dog's only all the time and they "Drag there owners behind them," because that is what they do!

You really do not, not want to start a "a pulling contest," with a "Boxer?" Because you will lose!
One more link from Will Atherton, I know a lot of other trainers I would recommend.

But he is also pertly good. And I want to add with your "Boxer Puppy," stay out out of the "DOG PARK!" Known safe dog's only if you must ... another story.

·
Registered
52 Posts
so if anyone has a suggestion on a harness for a boxer puppy please share, I bought one but it just doesn’t fit the shape of a boxer.
Our boxer girl is 16 months now. We had very good results with the Ruffwear Front Range harness since around 5 months old. It's not cheap but it fit very well and has an attachment point on the chest to help discourage pulling. We tried the EZ Walk harness but she was very talented at wiggling out of that one so it was a no go.

We actually tried to avoid using a harness at first because the rear attachment point can encourage pulling, but in our situation a flat or slip collar didn't work -- we're in Manhattan NYC in a densely populated dog neighborhood and she plays with lots of friends while on leash because it's not safe (and illegal) to be off-leash in most areas. She would end up choking herself constantly because of leash tension during play sessions, so we switched to a harness and her neck has been much safer.

We would use the chest attachment point for walking and switch to the back attachment point when playing.

For feeding, we found it was hard to overfeed an energetic boxer puppy so we were generous with puppy portions. She's at a great weight now and doing well on adult food (Purina).

·
Registered
1 Posts
So it’s been 12+ years since we had a Boxer puppy and as normal you only remember the good times. Potty training has been a chore. Teething is a chore she chews on anything she can get a chance too. She has lost at least one of her baby teeth and as per the vet she should have most of her adult teeth by 6 months.

Anyway Gracie is 17 weeks old at 16 weeks she weighted 26 pounds and is skinny. I’ve increased her food about once a month she is up to 1 cup three times a day. I’m going to up it to a total of 3 1/2 cups a day. We’re feeding her Purina One Plus. I had started her on Orijen but our vet recommended we find a puppy food with some grain as in resent studies it was found that Boxers puppies need the grain to support healthy hearts.

That is very sad to me. May they rest well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Best Harness by far RUFFWEAR Front Range harness. Its to the only harness I have used that fits a barrel chested dogs. Very secure. Have lifted her and lowered her many times with a lead while climbing in the Mountains. Paired with their Grip Trex Dog Boots. Theres no where I cant take her. This harness is so comfortable it replaced her big bulky service dog vest.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Also, I posted this before about dog foods that promote no grains. Boxers are very susceptible to dietary issues do to grain free foods/boutique foods. Do NOT feed your Boxer food that contains peas, lentils or potatoes. The FDA has been investigating "grain free foods" for a few years now. The studies are astonishing. Most Boxers who suffer from dilated cardiomyopath & digestive issues have been traced back to grain free foods. Also, Blue Berries are AWESOME.! An Antioxidant Superfood. Packed with antioxidants and phytoflavinoids, these berries are also high in potassium and vitamin C, making them the top choice of vets and pet nutritionists. Not only can they lower your pups chances of heart disease and cancer, they are also anti-inflammatory. In the wild dogs get their grains, fruits and veggies by consuming the animals that eat these foods. NOT having them in your Boxers diet has been statistically proven...Stooopid. What animals in the wild eat peas, lentils or potatoes? So why add these cheap fillers to your Boxers diet. I feed my pup .Amazon Brand – Wag Dry Large Breed Puppy Food Wholesome Grains. The 1st two years. Now just the large breed formula. Whether or not you choose large breed is another topic of conversation. But my pup has done very well on that food. Of course I spice it up with an added protein and blueberries.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts