Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Hello, I am new to forum, not boxers.

3K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Omakdog 
#1 ·
I recently lost my best friend Hank. He was 6 years old, and had been recently diagnosed with lymphoma. He started out with stomach issues such as no appetite to eat. He began to lose some weight. Went from 92lbs to 72 lbs in 3 weeks. Had been to vet a few times, sono showed some swollen mesenteric lymph nodes and one popped up in his neck. With prednisone, he began to eat and be himself again. Playing, happy, taking his walks....etc. One day he began to have difficulty urinating. Went to vet, they were unable to pass a catheter so we scheduled to have him sedated the next day to have a catheter inserted in to bladder and take some xrays. I was told that Diprovan was the sedation that was used. No stones were found, and lymphoma was at bay, did not spread. To try and make a long story short, when we picked him up he was still severely sedated which caused much concern. I know that diprovan is short lived and dogs will come out of it quick. When looking over itemized bill I noticed three other drugs were used. Aceprozamine was the one that caused great concern. Upon research, I found that ACE should never be used on a Boxers, many bad side efffects to include death. In the long, or short of it, my Hank passed away 12 HOURS after this "simple" non surgical procedure. From diagnosis to his passing was 5 weeks. Does anyone have any information on this medication, or has had the same thing happen? It is 5 weeks since his passing, and each day gets harder. To think that I tried to help relieve some symptoms, may have lead to his demise. This is more for closure for me and to know that this drug is truly not supposed to be given to Boxers and several other breeds. I would like to put this information out to all those who have boxers to make sure it never happens to another boxer family.
I do not blame the MD ( vet ) I did voice my concerns at the time of his death, and they were very approachable and did reach out to me on several occasions.
If anyone has heard of ACE and its side affects please share with me.
Hanky Angel

See less See more
#2 ·
So sorry about the loss of your guy Hank, and what you went through.

Yes, acepromazine should never be used with boxers. My guy was just under a few weeks ago and luckily I had read about ace and its effects on boxers and other similar breeds, I asked my vet what they were going to use and he said they don't even use ace at all in their clinic on any dog.

This is definitely something all boxer owners should be aware of. Sorry again for your loss.

#3 ·
So sorry about the loss of your guy Hank, and what you went through.

Yes, acepromazine should never be used with boxers. My guy was just under a few weeks ago and luckily I had read about ace and its effects on boxers and other similar breeds, I asked my vet what they were going to use and he said they don't even use ace at all in their clinic on any dog.

This is definitely something all boxer owners should be aware of. Sorry again for your loss.
Thank you for your response, and glad to see that your vet will never use it. If I had known they were going to use this medication I would not have allowed it. I was told only diprovan would be used. Unfortunately I have learned the hard way, and will from now on place on the chart NO ACE. I am hoping after our long discussions, the vet will never use it again.

#7 ·
Well first ... I am so sorry for your lost! But to try and help ... it might not be the Ace??? The fact of the matter is ... Ace can be used safely on Boxer's ... an in the know Vet would just use 30% less of it than they would normally use on other ... dog's.

If too much is used ... the dog would seemly ... not "wake up," from being put under. There heart would stop on the table.

But we have a thread here on Ace. :

Not much help now sadly but now you know. Sorry for your loss in anycase ... loss of dog alway's suck's espically so if it's something you feel you did wrong?? Take Care ...

#10 ·
Well first ... I am so sorry for your lost! But to try and help ... it might not be the Ace??? The fact of the matter is ... Ace can be used safely on Boxer's ... an in the know Vet would just use 30% less of it than they would normally use on other ... dog's.

If too much is used ... the dog would seemly ... not "wake up," from being put under. There heart would stop on the table.

But we have a thread here on Ace. :

Not much help now sadly but now you know. Sorry for your loss in anycase ... loss of dog alway's suck's espically so if it's something you feel you did wrong?? Take Care ...
Thank you. I appreciate the information.

#12 ·
Hanky Angel..I am so sorry to hear of your loss, seems we are in the same boat. Kai was to turn 6 in September. Brain stem tumor. Lymphoma is another bad one. My friend recently lost her doodle to it after treatment for almost a year an thousands of dollars of chemo and radiation. I feel your pain, I am broken from this loss.

#18 ·
Thank you Lindar51. It was sudden and devastating. I am so sorry to hear about Kai. Must have been a terrible time for you. I too am broken. I do try every day to speak of my Hank and remember all the good times. He was my third boxer, and the hardest to lose so far. They are just beautiful kind souls.

#13 ·
I have not had to deal with ACE as the Vets I use do not use it. One thing my boxers have had a terrible time recovering from is buprenorphine that stuff is terrible! One of my dog had a bout of pancreatitis twice and they administered buprenorphine and she could not wake up from it for almost 2 days she was groggy I was so worried I asked she never be given it again then one time we had to go to the emergency clinic and they gave it to her before I knew it so we had to go thru it all over again so from then on I kept it written down in my purse so I could make sure she never got it again. This happed to my friends boxer as well, she had a biopsy done and was given the drug and she could not wake up for 2 days as well so I would be very careful if someone uses this on your dog and monitor them very closely. I am sorry you lost your boy you were just trying to help him so please don't beat yourself up.

#16 ·
Wow, I am so glad you replied. My boy did recieve buprenorphine as well. I did not even think to look into that med after seeing all the bad effects that ACE had. I am now seeing that the combination of these two drugs is most likely what caused his early demise. Mind you, I am well aware that eventually the lymphoma would have taken him. I am grateful that I did not have to make the decision to euthanize him, he was able to be home with my husband and I and passed away in our arms. How ever I am very upset about the lack of education that I am seeing with the side effects of certain medications with specific breeds. I will now do some more research on the buprenorphine to educate myself. I a sorry you had to go through two horrible days with your pup. Thank you again for sharing your story. I am happy that I found this forum. The insight and compassion that all of you have is overwhelming. It is therapeutic.

#19 ·
Hi Hanky Angel!
Welcome in! I'm new here as well, came in for "weirdly" a similar great loss, Diesel was only 6 (as was Kai above) when we had to put him down after a very brief battle with Liver cancer almost exactly a year ago. I had no idea that these wonderful souls were so short lived. We are ready and looking for a new boxer puppy, especially since our public schools are now shut down for 5 more weeks due to corona.
I can tell you even though it's been a year it's still so hard for all of us. He was a friend of the entire neighborhood, just sat proudly on his corner and watched everyone go by. Never would leave his spot. Being outside is the hardest thing for me.
Thanks for the ACE sedation info! I hope you can find some peace and comfort.
Take care!
Rick

#20 ·
Rick, I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your diesel. Boxers are such beautiful souls. He was my third and by far the toughest to lose. I am glad to hear that you are ready to bring another boxer pup into your family. It will take a long time for me to even consider. One day I hope. And just say no to ACE. Good luck on your search for a new pup!

#21 ·
I too will be looking for a boxer pup. Our home just isn't the same without his "soul" here. We are not ready but I will begin my search. I want a breeder that knows their line. Whats funny is I couldn't find a boxer pup two years ago when I got my standard poodle. I got him when I thought my adult daughter would be moving out on her on. But we have decided unless she meets the "right guy" she will just stay at home. Our house is big enough and with my husband not well and our age it is in a way beneficial to all of us. So what I found with my poodle is I no longer have hair and drool on everything. He is quite lovely and part of me wouldn't mind a 2nd as the are mouthy bouncy players. Kai was not mouthy or bouncy, ever. But somehow I need that "soul" of the boxer, that wiggly butt, the soft kisses, and the jelly bean excitement (his with 4 feet on the ground) poodle all 4 feet off the ground. So we are on a search. Kai had a thicker look and thats what I want in a new guy too. Kai was a flashy brindle, I think we will look for a fawn or that reddish mahogany. Now color has never been important to me, temperament is number 1 but I think its a better idea not to have one that looks like the boy we lost.

#22 ·
Lindar51 Glad you are thinking of looking around again, the house is just not the same without a boxer in it I went a whole year one time with no dog at all and it was pretty lonely. Then after I lost my 2 to dcm I went about 3 months no dogs so it is hard, but you have to be sure to be ready the puppy thing is a challenge to start all over again!

#23 ·
I certainly know what a challenge it is. I'm not ready ..just thinking and investigating possible breeders. Part of me wants another but the other part does not...so that means we are not ready, my daughter feels the same. I told her there would be nothing worse than getting a puppy and finding we are not really ready. She is very busy at work right now and I have so much to do here at home presently I don't feel I could devote the time yet.
So since we are on "stay at home" orders I am working on my backyard. It is nothing but weeds and there are two types of weeds that carry round burr like stickers. I have been pulling them out by hand, anyone would think I am totally bonkers. I just can't seem to poison the yard. So as soon as I can get some dirt delivered and find someone to haul it into the backyard, cheaply I will. Then I will sod . Right now its getting difficult to get anything done, even Home Depot has a queue now and it takes forever to get what you need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.