Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Im new to this board, im 22 from pennsylvania and i was thinking about getting a puppy, I really would like to own a boxer and i just have a question about them, I have 2 cats, do you guys think that would be ok with a boxer pup? my cats are still fairly young, 2 and 1, Are they aggressive with cats or are they fine if they are around when they are young? Ive asked this same question about pitbulls on another forum and most people said they would be fine but i still shouldnt leave alone with cats when im away, now are boxers the same way?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I have two cats myself. I've had two boxers. Both of my boxers have not been too good with the cats. I don't think the dogs would have hurt the cats (if they ever got them), but no, in my experience my boxers have not gotten along with the cats. Now keep in mind my cats were both over 6 years old when I first brought a puppy into the house, so they did not accept him at all. When I brought Maddie home, they were the same way, they want nothing to do with the dog. I guess it would really depend on how your cats are. Mine want nothing to do with people period. If someone comes over they hide under the bed. Actually they don'y even like my kids. They don't come out until the kids are asleep.  :?
Now, I have seen pictures of Boxers and cats actually sleeping right next to one another. If I didn't see pictures, I would never believe it, just because of my two cats.
Your cats are younger, so maybe if introduced properly they may be fine.
Tough question....maybe someone else on the board has another opinion.
Welcome to the forums! I'm glad you are doing some research before getting a puppy. Feel free to ask away!  :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my cats love people they are all over whoever comes in the house,  Now i did have a puppy here for 2 days , a lab that I had got for my grandmother because hers passed, Now the younger cat seemed like she liked the dog instantly always following it and had to be where ever the dog was, the other one Hissed and moaned but i caught him sleeping beside the dog later that same day so im not sure, lol , but once the dog got comfortable and started to play and try and chase the cats they ran scared but they still came back for more so yeah, I think my cats would accept a puppy but i really want a puppy that will be great with cats and for some reason i dont really want any other dog other than a boxer. So im hopping to get some postive comments here.

·
Registered
521 Posts
We have had our cats for 6 years, and have had Beckham for 2 months.  He likes the cats and wants to play with them, and does NOT get aggressive.  We have another friend who has a boxer, and he's full grown and completely ignores them.  I guess it just depends?  I would get more feedback. :)

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yeah I don't think that the boxer will be a problem... I think the problem would be with what your cats thought about the pup. Odin is great with our ferrets. 8 ferrets... now if ferrets don't look like food... I don't know what does!! I truly think its the cats that will have an issue if anyone does.

Steven's cat before he passed hated the ferrets... which loved him... hated the dog we had... our friends kitten we watched. He learned to DEAL with the ferrets but did not cuddle or get along with them like the kitten we watched did. Again... like I said, just depends on the cats...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i have not ever had a problem with my boxers getting along with our cat. our cat is 3 and the dogs will try to play and time he will and other times he doesnt feel like it. I think there is a picture in my gallery where my cat Mr. Whiskerson is actually sleeping IN the dog kennel with my 16wk pup Reese. :) they love to cuddle in there at night

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my boxer when our cat was about 2 years old. Marco (cat) was the man of the house and when we tried to let a cat into our house he guarded every inch of it.
When we brought Baggio (boxer) he wasnt sure at the beginning, but now he has no problem. He (cat) prefer to drink water from dogs bowl, steal some of his homemade food and  when get bored try to get our boxer to chase him around the house.
So, you should have no problems bringing boxer into your house, but that is only my opinion.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I think the biggest negative risk here is that the cats either ignore and dominate the new boxer (with a bit of a swipe from time to time)or that the new boxer thinks they're pals to chase around and they live on high furniture and under beds forever more to get away from him :? ! I don't think a boxer would ever "eat" 8O  a cat.
I've always seen cats (I don't have any of my own but family & friends do) put Voltaire back on the straight and narrow with a serious warning when he's gotten them into a corner - and he's like-" 8O ".

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It really depends on your cats, how they are with dogs in general..When my ex and I bought our house we knew we wanted animals, a cat for me and a dog for him..It was recomnded that we get the cat first so they could establish their territory.. So I got a kitten, about 2 mos later we brought home Buck at 10 wks..At first it was touch and go, but as Buck very quickly outgrew Oreo, things got better. We always supervised them at first and after awhile they even slept together...Fast forward a year and we brought Tia home..Oreo was not pleased at all...He left for a week  :( When he returned, a truce was worked out and they all did fine...

So, yes, it can work, just keep an eye on everyone at first until you can get an idea of how they all are going to get along...I also don't think a boxer would intentionally hurt a cat, most boxers are not that way, esp if you bring them up from puppies..But cats can also be a bit vicious if provoked, so just watch them carefully....Good for you for doing research beforehand, it;s nice to hear that there are some people that do that  :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses, Im glad there was allot of positive feedback, Im sure my cats would love a dog if they got to know one

1 - 11 of 11 Posts