Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! My name is Doug, i'm 32 years old, married with 2 kids (5 and 2). We're about 3 months from becoming first time boxer owners! Yes, 3 months...the pups are due around the very end of March. Boxers have always been my favorite breed. Between the expression in their face, playful energy, their loyalty, being so gentle and protective with kids, i really think they are the perfect all around dog. I'm looking forward to looking around the forums for any helpful hints/tips that the experienced Boxer owners have. I want to be as prepared as possible for this little guy to arrive! Anyway, just wanted to introduce and tell a little about myself.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Welcome. Boxers are gentle but later, they are typical wild puppies in the beginning, lol. So you have to make rules . Crate is something I purchased 42inch midwest, though some prefer the airline type. Mine came with a diver which I used and moved as he grew. Stainless steel bowl or ceramic. Tough toys, Kong that you can stuff with kibble or treat. Our guy will be 3 in Sept. he still sleeps in his crate at night., or when we are gone for long periods of time. He doesn't destroy anything anymore but I'm not one for taking chances. This may sound silly but make sure that lil socks are left lying around where the pup could ingest them. That happened to me with a different dog years ago and it was good I noticed it and could have immediate action taken. You will get lots of info on this forum.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome. Boxers are gentle but later, they are typical wild puppies in the beginning, lol. So you have to make rules . Crate is something I purchased 42inch midwest, though some prefer the airline type. Mine came with a diver which I used and moved as he grew. Stainless steel bowl or ceramic. Tough toys, Kong that you can stuff with kibble or treat. Our guy will be 3 in Sept. he still sleeps in his crate at night., or when we are gone for long periods of time. He doesn't destroy anything anymore but I'm not one for taking chances. This may sound silly but make sure that lil socks are left lying around where the pup could ingest them. That happened to me with a different dog years ago and it was good I noticed it and could have immediate action taken. You will get lots of info on this forum.

Thanks for the info! Yes I fully expect a rambunctious ball of energy for a while lol. My son (the 2 year old) is rough and tough and full of energy himself, I think they'll make for quite a tandem haha. Either my wife or myself are home everyday, so we plan on training from day 1 and being as consistent with it as possible. We'll be joining puppy classes etc for socialization. Funny you mentioned the crate, thats the exact one i plan on getting, already have it in my amazon cart. 42 inch is big enough for an adult boxer? YES! great call about the socks, my kids love leaving socks around so thats something we'll definetely have to work on before the pup arrives.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts