Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My name is Stephanie and I own Lili, a 5 year old female boxer, fawn with white markings and Chloe, a soon to be 5 year old female boxer/American bulldog mix, brindle with white markings.

I've been researching about teeth grinding and lip diseases for Chloe.

She started grinding her teeth 3 months ago, especially at night when she's about sleep and when she wakes up in the AM. I took her to the vet, who mentioned it could be a stomach issue and put her on anti nausea meds and something else (I forgot the name). This did not do anything and the grinding continues. So I am assuming my next step is to get her teeth checked.

The second issue that started a couple of weeks ago is that the corner of her lips (where upper and lower meet and where dogs have those little spikes) gets extremely dry and then the skin gets so dry it starts hanging and then just falls off. This is happening on both sides. I do not seem to see any inflammation, as it is not red or swollen. Her chin is a little pink too.

I came across a lot of posts about lip fold pyoderma but I am not sure this is what she has and i have no idea if it is related to the teeth grinding. Her teeth and gum seem fine from what the vet said last time I took her.

Has anyone experienced this dry lips condition with their dog?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Zuke has had a little bit of an upper dried lip this year. I'm attributing it to what seems like a very long winter here in the somewhat northeast and the furnace keeping the air dry. I do give him coconut oil with his food and when his lips get dry I let it melt in my hands and rub it into his face. Not sure how well it works cause he seems to spend most of the time licking it right off. His top lip gets dry in the front though right under his snout, not in the corners.

As for the grinding, can you actually hear the teeth grinding? Reason I ask is because Zuke will "adjust" his mouth for a few seconds when he lays down to crash for the night. But he has done it since he is a pup and there are no issues

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zuke has had a little bit of an upper dried lip this year. I'm attributing it to what seems like a very long winter here in the somewhat northeast and the furnace keeping the air dry. I do give him coconut oil with his food and when his lips get dry I let it melt in my hands and rub it into his face. Not sure how well it works cause he seems to spend most of the time licking it right off. His top lip gets dry in the front though right under his snout, not in the corners.

As for the grinding, can you actually hear the teeth grinding? Reason I ask is because Zuke will "adjust" his mouth for a few seconds when he lays down to crash for the night. But he has done it since he is a pup and there are no issues
Hi Matt,

Thank you for your response, I will try the coconut oil but wouldn't be surprised if she licks it off too. As far as the grinding goes, I can definitely hear it. Sometimes, it's quite loud...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hi Matt,

Thank you for your response, I will try the coconut oil but wouldn't be surprised if she licks it off too. As far as the grinding goes, I can definitely hear it. Sometimes, it's quite loud...
I have no experience on the teeth grinding, but after doing some research, it seems it could be caused by a few things, stomach issues, stress, pain in the mouth or possible jaw issues. It looks like your vet is going to try to eliminate what could be causing it by starting at the easiest 1st. It appears the final thing would be to do a very extensive examination of the mouth under anesthesia for any issues. Good luck. Keep us posted

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no experience on the teeth grinding, but after doing some research, it seems it could be caused by a few things, stomach issues, stress, pain in the mouth or possible jaw issues. It looks like your vet is going to try to eliminate what could be causing it by starting at the easiest 1st. It appears the final thing would be to do a very extensive examination of the mouth under anesthesia for any issues. Good luck. Keep us posted
thank you, will def keep you posted! I am pretty sure it's a teeth issue since we first tried to see if it was stomach related and the meds she was on didn't change a thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts