Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to introduce myself . I have owned to previous boxers. After the passing of our last boxer our family decided to try two boxers. We have two little boxer pups Toby and gunner. Age 14 and 9 weeks. They have been a handful! My question is will one show dominance over the other? Can they coexist as equals? I have never had two at one time. They sleep together, eat together and play together. Sometimes they can get nippy. Are there signs I should look for? I clap my hands loudowhen I think they are playing to rough. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you .

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Having two pups at one time is a lot of work, not for me..LOL but many have done it and as long as they are males and will be neutered I don't see a problem. I would take time to train them separately. I would also have them in separate crates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. They are in separate crates when we have to leave . They will be neutered around 12 months.

·
Super Moderator
7,017 Posts
It's not usually recommended to place two puppies in the same home. It's called litter mate syndrome. You really need to focus on teaching them to not depend on one another. I would crate them in separate locations so they can see each other. Do individuals training and walks. It's healthier for them to learn independence.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are not from same litter. They are 5 weeks difference in age. Does that make a difference with the syndrome you speak of? We do crate them separately when we eat and leave the house. I do try to train them individually.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Thanks. They are in separate crates when we have to leave . They will be neutered around 12 months.
Sounds like a good plan to me and that your treating them as two separate individual pups. I think it is a good thing to keep them each focused separately so they don't just want to bond to each other but look to their human. I also had my guy neutered at 12 months. I am sure it will all work out great. And by the way..we love pictures.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We also are getting two puppies on Tuesday! One is 12 weeks and the other is 8. My breeder has had them together and said they get along fine. I'm hoping it stays that way!

·
Super Moderator
7,017 Posts
They are not from same litter. They are 5 weeks difference in age. Does that make a difference with the syndrome you speak of? We do crate them separately when we eat and leave the house. I do try to train them individually.
No, it makes no difference if they are from separate litters. its the close proximity in age that is the issue.

It's great that you crate them separately, I would have the crates in different areas of your home as well. Training them and walking them 1 on 1 is also recommended. This isn't a life long thing, just for the first 6-12 month she of age. It's better for them socially and mentally to be independent from one another.

What are the sexes of your puppies?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They seem pretty independent of each other. They do sleep together and we walk them together. They both come to us when we call them and they like to cuddle with us while we are on the couch. Toby the older reverse brindle is more of a mamas boy and gunner the fawn is more laid back and independent. So far we are very happy. Both boys have different personalities.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts