Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Not a boxer/mixed owner yet, but a very probable one this weekend. We will be adopting a puppy from a rescue that is about 2-3 months old. This "could" be our 1st family dog. I've read very good things about boxer as a family dog and now they are excellent with kids. The shelter even recommended that we look into a boxer for a addition to the family. However, I do have some questions. Other dog owners have informed me adopting a dog from the shelter is risky especially with younger kids since the temperament of the dogs will not be known until they get older. People have also said since it's listed as a mix, we don't know what it could be mixed with which will also cause concern to how the dog will behave. I always assumed that a dog temperament is not just based on "genes", but also the owner. Is this not the case? Will this be something I need to worry about? Is there anything else I should consider when adopting or are people being just overly cautious or misinformed?

Thanks for any advice and I look forward to learning from you all!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Hmm well you have a few really interesting questions, I must say.
And I am at a slight bit of a lost with my usual advise, on account of at two three months?? This is essentially a puppy. So unless you already see "some cause for concern?? I'd say "forget those with nothing good to say about "Rescue Dogs!"

I've had my share of hand picked puppies and I had my go with my "Foster Fail" but I switched breeds from Bully's and Boxers and "added" a GSD (big furry dog with a pointy face). It was an experience and a steep learning curve but it worked out in the long run ... Rocky was a great dog. :)

But back on point it's most likely a Boxer/Apbt mix??? Lots of them out there and that is how I got involved with Boxers! I lost my Boxer mix Stewie in an automobile accident and I could not find another puppy like him at the time. And as I already had another Bully mix I went with a straight Boxer.

And to make a very long story short, my 100 percent Boxer was a whole lot, uh "nutter" than was my Boxer mix! Struddell was a bit of a challenge in a good way, then was my Boxer mix, Stewie. But I don't know that may be more of Boy vs Girl thing?? In Boxer world the girls are a lot more challenging, ie "Whatever it is your doing??" Is not as interesting as what I want to do!" Stewie was a joy to train, he was really quick to get on with the program, my beloved Struddell ...yeah not so much. But it worked out well yet again in the long run ... and the key word is patients required. :)

Anyway I would expect your looking at a happy friendly well adjusted puppy that generally likes people??? If such is indeed the case, I'll be looking forward to pictures soon! :)

And as I say this is a puppy so a full on "Two Week" shut down deal would be a bit of overkill. Still I'll do what I do and education is where that starts! So my general dog/puppy protocol all revolves around this thread.:

German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New Dog, Very Challenging

And for puppy specific stuff I like Bethany.:

Take note of her clips on training puppies in "Place." I'm uh really big on that one. :)

You'll have to decide, uh "now" if your going to crate train or not?? I did not myself, but best advise would be to continue to do so because most likely the puppy is already crate trained?? It would be wise to continue to do so for at least a year?? But if ... you have discipline and can train "Place and can get him/or her?? Leash trained to walk properly on a loose leash in short order??? Then maybe the crate time can be shortened dramatically???

And it's a puppy, so no long distance walk/marches for at least a year! Joints and Bones are still growing so no running a mile or so and no bicycling. For distances think a block or two, not miles for now. But running and playing in a yard or on soft surfaces, no problem. And you can't take him/her out and about to anywhere other dogs are around until they have been fully inoculated.

And for me I'm a "NO Dog Park" and no "Is your dog friendly??" Meet and greet street hooks up's. I don't know you?? I don't know your dog, you keep your distance, I'll keep mine "Thank You" is how "we" roll. See why "Dog Parks are a Bad Idea" in the first link.

In anycase welcome aboard and yes ... ask questions. :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I think it is great you are considering a rescue puppy. I don't have any reason not to adopt a mixd breed they make excellent pets and for the mot part he will turn out to be however you properly train him to be. Most shelters can give you advise too. I crate train my dogs and I have had all kins during my life time. I find the crate to bee a safe place for my puppy/dog when I cannot supervise and for overnight. Puppies like to chew everything and anything (including electrical cords during that 1st year and a half and you will direct him what is proper to chew. I keep everything on a schedule, feeding, potty (for the most part but there are exceptions) play time, crate time. Never acknowledge yr dog when he cries or whines in crate, always wait for calm or quiet. I also carried my pup out on leash to his potty area, he learned to associate leash and where to potty outside. You will learn his signs and when he need to go out, Normally first thing upon waking, 10-20 min after eating, an before and after playtime. n I would also involve all family members into his care, feeding especially is good for children they can teach him to sit and wait for his food. Pup will learn to respect them and no running cWhew worry I'm long winded this morning. Spend some time at the shelter with the puppy and see that you feel comfortable with him. I believe dogs turn out to be wonderful when they have a loving structured home. An old grown dog I'd want some experience behind me as you don't know how they were handled or trained, in that case with small children I'd be more careful but in most cases they end up find too. I would not be afraid at all to adopt a boxer mix at 2-5 months old. Looking forward to hear and see pictures of the pup should you decide he is right for your family.

You may also find this helpful https://www.siriuspup.com/blog/puppy-house-training-tips-dr-ian-dunbar-how-teach-your-puppy-eliminate-cue

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Hello,

Not a boxer/mixed owner yet, but a very probable one this weekend. We will be adopting a puppy from a rescue that is about 2-3 months old. This "could" be our 1st family dog. I've read very good things about boxer as a family dog and now they are excellent with kids. The shelter even recommended that we look into a boxer for a addition to the family. However, I do have some questions. Other dog owners have informed me adopting a dog from the shelter is risky especially with younger kids since the temperament of the dogs will not be known until they get older. People have also said since it's listed as a mix, we don't know what it could be mixed with which will also cause concern to how the dog will behave. I always assumed that a dog temperament is not just based on "genes", but also the owner. Is this not the case? Will this be something I need to worry about? Is there anything else I should consider when adopting or are people being just overly cautious or misinformed?

Thanks for any advice and I look forward to learning from you all!
Usually at shelters you can go to a room and see how the dog interacts with your family. This won't tell you how the dog will be as an adult, but can give you some insight into how the puppy relates to you and your children. Is the puppy fearful of kids, a bit to playful, etc. Most shelters also let you take the pup home for a few days, before anything is finalized.

If you decide the pup is a good fit, I would then say, make sure you have a good training regimen. You can have the best pup in the world, but if there isn't structure, rules, boundaries, etc. It could turn into a nightmare.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the replies. I will be checking out the links and have also already decided that I’d like to enroll in obedience school and doing those lessons along with the other recommended things at home. I’ll post an update tomorrow afternoon!
Thanks again for the reassurance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Thank you all for the replies. I will be checking out the links and have also already decided that I’d like to enroll in obedience school and doing those lessons along with the other recommended things at home. I’ll post an update tomorrow afternoon!
Thanks again for the reassurance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well we are all standing by for "Paws on the ground pictures!" :)

And to be fair ... I am pretty much a hard core ... I will prevent "issues" before they happen kinda guy. And while I tend to sound kinda "harsh" at times?? If one actually looks at my advise?? They will not find "any" Yank and Crank advise??? Walk your dog/puppy and train "Place" is kinda how I roll. And use a "real tool" to train your puppy to walk on a loose leash.

That said ... no problem with going to an obedience class. But ... if it's your local "Petsmart" or such??? And they also include, Puppy free play??? It's gonna be waste of time. If one is astute, about the only thing one will learn with "puppy free play" is weather or not your puppy is a Bully or a victim???

If your pup falls into either category, your local "Petsmarts" will have no idea how to solve either issue??? Just a heads up. :)

On the other hand there are a lot of seriously insane trainers out there! NO Alpha rolling puppies crap! I've heard of that being done??? IF your not comfortable with a trainers advise ... then walk away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello!

My Boxer is a rescue, at 1 1/2 years. He is not a mix but your puppy is so young! The first six months are the most crucial - so training is probably a good idea. But I agree with Chip that you shouldn't do anything you're not comfortable with and forgo that "alpha" garbage. :clap2:

They are so much work (omg, the leash training!!) but so rewarding and worth it. I did so much research on the breed before I finally found him so was totally prepared for all the typical Boxer type behaviors! Our Max is by far the best dog we have ever had. Totally cuddle bug that has such a playful and lazy nature. He's so awesome.

Congrats to your family on your new (and first!) family pet :clap2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts