Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am supposed to make three posts? :dance:

I am a fairly new Boxer mom and just wanted to meet some other people that are Boxer owners, too. My guy's name is Maxamillion (Max) and he is 1 1/2. He came from a shelter so his history is not well known.

I love everyone's stories about their pups! Glad to know it's not just my Max that is the only crazy one. :crazy:

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
LOL, and no, your not alone. Boxers are "The Clown Prince/Princess of the dog world!" Or as my Struddell taught me way way back in the day ... "Well whatever it is you want me to do, is clearly not as much fun as what I want to do???" So welcome to "Mr Toad's wild ride. :)

Lot's of patients required but when you get it right, they are great companions! Welcome aboard and any pictures??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi! Yes, he is a fawn. He's the BEST ever. But you are so right, stubborn and knows it. We have been working on some leash training recently because I adopted him as a half puppy (1.5 years) and his leash manners are awful!

I saw someone post something about how atrocious her puppy was haha and I thought that was pretty typical of Max when he's outside. His prey drive is something else!

Do you have any more pics of Struddell? (cute name btw)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Hi! Yes, he is a fawn. He's the BEST ever. But you are so right, stubborn and knows it. We have been working on some leash training recently because I adopted him as a half puppy (1.5 years) and his leash manners are awful!

I saw someone post something about how atrocious her puppy was haha and I thought that was pretty typical of Max when he's outside. His prey drive is something else!

Do you have any more pics of Struddell? (cute name btw)
Most of my pictures of her are not online but one of my favorites is on here in my album.

She is sitting and in covered in dirt/dust! They were doing something crazy (her and Gunther) and I called them over and it was "lecture" time. I don't think Struddell was particular interested in, "whatever my issues was??" But it was all good. :)

And your dog and the leash thing??? Walking well on a loose leash is I feel and I have back up here. The number one key element in creating a well behaved dog. If one can only master one technique, that needs to be the one.

I stumbled unto that by accident with my (formerly) Human Aggressive Over Size Working Line GSD. He was not a fan of strangers??? When we went about changing this by "walking and ignoring people." I kept people out of his face and he got that ... worked out fine. :)

But easier to understand as to "why," walking your dog is "important" is this clip from Larry Krohn.:

I've already proven "Larry's advise to be sound with the above mentioned GSD?? I solved his people issue seemingly without effort??? It took me about five years however to actually understand what I had done seemingly without much effort and that clip pretty much explains it. :)

And now I'll "assume" you may be thinking "great to know but how does that help me exactly???" Fear not I got it covered, the only tool I use is a British Slip Lead Leash. It's the only tool shelter will let use so either you get really good with it or you can't help those dogs. Shelters will not let use a "Prong or an E-Collar on there dogs! They will put them (there dogs) down first. I say ... no problem a SLL and I'm good.

So without going into full on lecture mode, have a look here. :
http://www.boxerforums.com/training-behavior/179513-slip-lead-leash.html

And the next most important thing to train, do and understand is here.:
The Place Command and Sit on the Dog.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

Those should help you out?? And as always ask questions. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most of my pictures of her are not online but one of my favorites is on here in my album.

She is sitting and in covered in dirt/dust! They were doing something crazy (her and Gunther) and I called them over and it was "lecture" time. I don't think Struddell was particular interested in, "whatever my issues was??" But it was all good. :)

And your dog and the leash thing??? Walking well on a loose leash is I feel and I have back up here. The number one key element in creating a well behaved dog. If one can only master one technique, that needs to be the one.

I stumbled unto that by accident with my (formerly) Human Aggressive Over Size Working Line GSD. He was not a fan of strangers??? When we went about changing this by "walking and ignoring people." I kept people out of his face and he got that ... worked out fine. :)

But easier to understand as to "why," walking your dog is "important" is this clip from Larry Krohn.:
The BEST Dog Training Tool There Is Guaranteed: Structured Walk - YouTube

I've already proven "Larry's advise to be sound with the above mentioned GSD?? I solved his people issue seemingly without effort??? It took me about five years however to actually understand what I had done seemingly without much effort and that clip pretty much explains it. :)

And now I'll "assume" you may be thinking "great to know but how does that help me exactly???" Fear not I got it covered, the only tool I use is a British Slip Lead Leash. It's the only tool shelter will let use so either you get really good with it or you can't help those dogs. Shelters will not let use a "Prong or an E-Collar on there dogs! They will put them (there dogs) down first. I say ... no problem a SLL and I'm good.

So without going into full on lecture mode, have a look here. :
http://www.boxerforums.com/training-behavior/179513-slip-lead-leash.html

And the next most important thing to train, do and understand is here.:
The Place Command and Sit on the Dog.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

Those should help you out?? And as always ask questions. :)

Hmmm... I'll take a look at the video this weekend when I have some time. He's so misbehaved on the leash! From the minor of not walking on the same side to the major of almost pulling my arm out from seeing another dog.

I also had a human (and dog) aggressive GSD-like rescue before I got Max. Unforunately, I wasn't able to trust him anywhere to be able to train him in the way you mentioned. He also wasn't food motivated in the slightest, which made him difficult to train. His behavior has given me some slight anxiety with training my Boxer Max now.

And Max is SO smart! And he is SO food motivated! I want to do right with him and train him appropriately.

Thank you for the suggestions! I am unsure how to access your album but I will see if I can figure it out. :)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Click on my user name, scroll to the right and below friends, you'll see albums, that should work.

The Larry Krhon video clip, is not a how to "Walk Your Dog" it is a "Why" properly walking your dog is important. :)

For actual "how to info" see my thread on using a Slip Lead Leash. And take note, all the trainers, I tend to recommend deal with dogs with real freaking issues. And none of them use "treats" for "behaviour modification." They show the dog what they want and how they "expect" them to behave. You''l note that most of the trainers save for one all use a "Prong Collar."

A "prong Collar" is not my thing, not that when used properly there is anything wrong with it. But I also work with rescues and Shelters and those guy's will not let use a "Prong Collar" on there dogs.

Right now if your using "treats" to "train" your Boxer to walk properly on a loose leash??? Your making you job more difficult! Your simply feeding (no pun intended) into Boxer crazy. The dog get's so focused on getting that treat that he can't focus on what he's supposed to be doing??? And if he does not care for the treat or not particularly hungry ... you got nothing.

With my particular formerly H/A GSD. I could take him everywhere. And it struck me from the start that tricking people into his face with use of treats?? Was not a particularly good idea?? So I did not, worked out fine.

And with Struddell, LOL yeah I stopped the treat early on. I did use them in the beginning to help with people. It was a waste of time. Treat or no treat she simply liked people. The treats were just a bonus and they would tend to make her even crazer?? So I stopped that crap and it worked out fine. :)

In closing for now. I'll simply point out Cesar, you won't see a single episode of any of his numerous, shows where he uses treats, in helping a dog with issues??? So you know just ask yourself ... what does he know that I do not. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So in your opinion you don't think treats are a good way to train? I'm not familiar with the slip lead or how to use it but I will watch the video.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts