Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Colorado.  We will be picking up our Boxer puppy from a breeder in Oklahoma next Tuesday.  My daughter will be its "main mommy," but I expect to have a lot of fun with him, too.  The last time we had a puppy around here was 18 years ago (a spaniel/heeler mix who died a couple of years ago), so I'm probablygoing to be posting lots of questions as I've forgotten most of what I learned back then.  And that's probably just as well, as such things as choke collars were pretty standard tools then but seem to have been eclipsed by more positive methods.  I already love the idea of bell-training, but I have a pretty severe hearing loss so I'm trying to think of ways I can incorporate a big old gong instead!

I tried to post the photo of our puppy from the breeders website to the photo gallery but apparently did something wrong because it's not there.  Oh, well... just take my word for it:  He's a cute little devil.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Well, HOWDY from Texas!
Good luck with the new pup.  There is lots of good info here in the puppy  section.
Zhanna

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hello...and welcome to Boxer Forums!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to and it might help to read thru our puppy section, toms of very good info, advice, you name it....Look forward to seeing pics of the new addition. We are slightly mad for puppies... :)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Welcome!  Im sure someone here can help you get your photos up!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I see you got the picture up in the photo gallery. Looks like a keeper  :D

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
hello and welcome!! glad you joined, feel free to ask all the questions and be sure to read through the older posts~ tons of great info

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hello and welcome.  Definitely got a cutie on your hands!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hello and Welcome!   Please be sure to post lot sof pics of your new fur baby when you bring hom home :lol:   We LOVE puppy pics (truth be told we just love pics)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Hello from Hawaii!!!  I am profoundly deaf in my right ear and moderately (and rapidy progressing to profound) deaf in my left ear.  Lilly, my white Boxer girl (check out my avatar and siggy), is my Hearing Service Dog.  I am also a professional dog trainer.  All of my training is based in positive reinforcement and LOTS OF PRAISE!!!  I did most of Lilly's training myself (Occasionally with the help of friends, neighbors, or family).

Welcome to the board and ask lots of questions!!!  

O...Yeah....pix...WE LOVE PIX!!!!!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lillyzmomma\";p=\"15806 said:
my Hearing Service Dog.  I am also a professional dog trainer.  All of my training is based in positive reinforcement and LOTS OF PRAISE!!!  I did most of Lilly's training myself
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!  

Liz, I just googled "training service dogs" hoping to find some books with instructions on how to go about it, but came up empty.  As I said, this is actually going to be my 16-year-old daughter's dog, but I would love to see if I could train him to alert me to certain sounds that I simply cannot hear (smoke alarm, tea kettle, even the phone and doorbell if I'm not on the main floor of the house).  I swore when Zelda (our last dog) died that I was DONE with animals:  they're soooo much work!  But after all the reading I've done about Boxers (they sound like such characters!)  I'm actually excited and considering adopting a second in a year or two that will be mine and it would be a huge plus if I could train it to hear for me.  I think I'm also suddenly open to the idea of having a dog again because my daughter is the last of my kids and I have a feeling I'm going to be one of those people who takes the empty-nest syndrome hard!  I guess I'll know better in a couple of years, after seeing how things go with Atticus.  And of course, there's always the chance that my daughter will find she really isn't as prepared for owning a a handful of a dog like a Boxer while she's attending college and (undoubtedly) wanting to spend a lot of time partying.  I keep pointing that out and she just says "He's going EVERYwhere with me, mom!"  Yeah, we'll see.  

Hmmm, that reminds me of another question I have but since this is the welcome forum I'll take it someplace more appropriate.

AnnA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts