Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 8 week old puppies (brother and sister) that are biting everyone. You can barely walk across the room without them getting your ankles.  You can't pet them without them trying to bit at your hands.  I know it is just playful biting be it really hurts.  My two children are almost afraid to play with or pet them because they don't want to get the teeth.  To be honest it is very trying even for me and my dh.  Can anyone please give me some advice on how to stop this?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Its going to take a while... Puppies need to be taught that this is not appropriate behavior.  I beg you to be patient.  Everyone has their own methods.  What works best for me was, once they bite you once you get up and walk away from them.  Make sure that everyone in your household does it.  Even people that come over to visit... The more it happens to them the more likely they are to realize that this behavior means they don't get to play.  Another way I found useful was to shove a toy in their mouth as soon as they start biting you or someone in the house.  It's like redirecting their energy.  Believe me they will grow out of it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I found the toy thing to be most helpful...redirect their biting energy to a toy instead of your feet or hands. Just remember, they're only 8 week old puppies, it's going to take time and patience.

·
Registered
893 Posts
There are many methods to try to stop the puppies from bitting. Thank goodness my Delila 5 months didn't nip, as I had enough of it with my 5 year old when he was a puppy. I missed alot of fun with him because I couldn't stop him from bitting. As he got older and I became more consistent with his training he stopped. I was a virgin at owning a boxer or any big dog, so I didn't know what to do. I was more afraid of him, then he was of me. When I got Delila at 9 weeks she tried to nip and I would immediately deter her attention by putting a toy in her mouth and saying No in a stern voice.  This method quickly worked for her. You can give your kids a toy and when they play with the puppies and the bitting starts, offer the toy asap and have them say No.. Another method is a loud yelp, No, or any sound you may want to use to break the puppies attention from bitting. You could put them in a time out, not using the crate of course, and you could simply stop all play and ignore them. Teach them that all play stops when they bite, as we all know puppies love to play. Whatever method you choose make sure everyone in your family does it and is consistent with it. Now it took me 9 months to break Ekim of his bitting, and how I finally did it was this. I put some bitter apple spay on my left hand, and some peanut butter on my right hand. I let him lick my right hand with the PB and kept prasing him and telling him he was a good boy. Then I would put my left hand out with the bitter apple and he tried to mouth it I would say No as he tried to lick or bite that hand. Within a week all I had to do was say No and he didn't bite at all. Wish I tried that 9 months prior, it would have saved me a lot of stress, tears and sweaters.

Luann

1 - 4 of 4 Posts