Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all i have a question for any one who can answer we took boog to the vet yesterday for check up and all that fun stuff and he had some blood drawn for heart worm test he did a super job(mommys good baby) he got up this am and is yelpin and sluggish and has a lump were they took he blood called the vet and they said brusing and there is nothing to do for pain just ice but a 50 pond baby is hard to carry to the potty and put in bed steps are giving him trouble any thoughts ty

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Re: Help boog yelping

So he got his shot and as a result is in pain???

Maybe they hit a muscle when they injected him?   How is he now?  For pain, you can give the following at the following dosage.

Buffered Aspirin,Ecotrin,Ascriptin
Use: Pain relief, anti-inflammatory
Dosage:5 mg per pound every 12 hours

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

Poor Boog!  :(  I've never heard of a lump where they took blood. I've heard of lumps by an injection site, usually on the neck where they inject for vaccinations, so I guess it's possible. Boxers are pretty stoic, so I would be a bit concerned if you have to carry him places and he is yelping and sluggish.
Have you spoken to the vet directly?  
I hope Boog is feeling better soon, that just doesn't sound right to me. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.  :(

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

I know people can get lumps/bruising/swelling after having blood drawn.  They usually say this is not a concern and to ice it and use anti-inflammatories.  I am guessing it's similiar for dogs as well.  If it gets worse I'd demand to see the vet, especially since this is a result of their work.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

It's possible for some bruising, but the sluggish part sounds a bit odd..  I'd try some aspirin like Heather suggested, if the swelling isn't gone in 24 hrs, I would be calling the vet back....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Help boog yelping.............UPDATE

thank you all for your help after i made the post he got worse hi arched he looked like a greyhound and yelp and look at me with that look so by then i was mad the kids were upset and i called the e vet and they said give hin the asprin so i did and then i hand fed him the cottage cheese and food so he would eat and the poor thing broke my heart but thegood news is he is back to being mommys playful sweetie(thank God) i found out from the vet that i called when they opened and asked what is going on and they said for 130 we will look and see why so i called for a seconed opinion and come to find out they have tapped the spine with the 3 shots and that they bruised the muscle in the leg when they drew the blood and that the rabbies shot 1 side affect to it is sluggish upset tummy for a few hours needless to say looking into new vet

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

I would look for a new vet also, sounds like they don't know what they are doing or are not being very careful.   Glad to hear he is feeling better.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Deffinately sounds like you need to look for a new vet.  My vet gives Attila a shot that prevents him from having a negative reaction to the shots.  

I am glad to hear that boog is doing better.  I have found tons of helpfull information from reading differnt posts from other users.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts