Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been up all night with Bosco!  He has been puking LOTS!  At first (sorry TMI) it was whatever was in his stomach (food), and now it's just clear liquid coming out.  I didn't give him dinner because I thought it would make it worse.  His poops seem "normal".  The only thing I can think it could be is, his food (IAMS....we will be introducing a new food soon) or earlier in the day he got a hold of a tiny piece of my sons chocolate bar (Mint Aero).  Is there anything I can do?  Any info would be great!

·
Registered
172 Posts
All I can say is to watch him closely.   We went through this with Atticus several months ago and after much hoarking and vomiting he finally chucked up a sizeable piece of concrete.  At that point we all thought "Oh, thank god, the worst is over" and chalked his continuing coughs up to a raw throat.

That was a huge mistake, as when I went to let him out of his kennel the next morning he was clearly NOT well, and though we rushed straight over to the vet hospital, by the time we got there he was so weak he collapsed on the floor in the waiting room.  

I don't mean to scare you, but on the other hand, I clearly didn't take it nearly seriously enough, so I just want to caution you.

AnnA

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Make sure the vomit does not smell like poop.  That is usually an indication that there is something "backed up/blocked" in there.  Make sure the stool stays normal........

Do not feed your dog for twelve to twenty-four hours following vomiting. At the end of twelve hours....... offer a very small amount of soft, bland food such as cooked rice and skinless chicken breast, pasta, or potatoes mixed with low-fat cottage cheese (9-to1 ratio).......

If your dog keeps this small meal down for about four hours, another small meal can be offered, then another about four hours later. If no further vomiting occurs....... the next day's meals can be normal-sized portion of bland food or you can return your dog to a regular diet.

Water should be offered only in small amounts but frequently in order to combat the tendency to dehydrate that accompanies vomiting. Large amount of food or water distend the already irritated stomach and usually cause vomiting to recur. An easy way to have water available in small portions is to place ice cubes in the water bowl......this will allow the dog to drink the liquid that accumulates as the cubes melt.

Things you can use "At Home"

Pepto-Bismol............ Give one teaspoon per 20 pounds of weight every four to six hours.

Kaopectate is helpful for stomach/digestive troubles..... Give one teaspoon of Kaopectate for each ten pounds of weight every four hours.

Maalox can be given up to 4 tbs................ every 8 hours.

Since there are many health issues that can be associated with a first symptom of vomiting, if this is still going on by Monday you need to go see your Vet, asap!  If it is just the candy it will be better in 24 hours!

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Sharon!!  Bosco hasn't vomited in over 6 hrs.  His stomach was making some awful noises (most likely hunger pains).  He obviously drank too much water last night, as it made it worse!  It didn't smell like poo.  Hopefully things will settle down today.  I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Hope he is feeling better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts