Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apollo, who is 18 weeks old, started limping yesterday.  I noticed it when I picked him up from doggie daycare....since he's my baby and my first boxer...I'm freaking out!  He jumps into the car but limps when he walks....could this be a sore muscle or could this be something with his joint?  Don't boxers have hip problems?  Any ideas on what it could be or any insight would be greatly appreciated.  He normally doesn't jump off anything without assistance and I haven't seen him fall of anything either.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'd call the doggie daycare and see if they know what happened.  If they don't know I'd watch him for a day or so and see if it gets better.  Of course, if he limps worse you might want to have him looked at by the vet to make sure he hasn't been injured.  Hope he gets better quickly.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Try to lightly squeeze up and down his leg and the joings and just all over to see if he whimpers if you touch a specific area. If he cries when you touch an area, I'd maybe watch him for a little bit, but probably take him to the vet for xrays.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Look at his/her nails.  More than likely, two will look like there almost touching, if not.  Almost like when we jam a finger.  I can't remember what it's called, but soak the paw in peroxide a couple of times a day and see if there's any improvement.  I would suggest feeling up his arm/leg to make sure he isn't flinching or wimpering.  That would indicate that a more serious injury that just a nail jamming so to speak.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Boxers are prone to Hip Dysplasia, there is a Sticky topic in the health section about it, but don't start freaking out yet...I'd ask at Daycare first if they might have seen anything happen, then gently massage the leg, foot and toes and see if you can feel anything or if Apollo reacts...Samson has had pulled muscles a couple times, he'll favor a leg for a day or so then be back to normal, so just watch him and see how he does for the next day, if it's still bothering him I'd let the vet check him out....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts