Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11 week old boxer puppy that will not listen AT ALL!!!!! He does not know his name, he will not come when you tell him, if you try walking him on a leash he will get distracted at EVERY little thing he sees like a leaf in the road, he will not listen even to the point where I can teach him to sit, or stay. I can say his name and try to get his attention very sternly and he will not even turn around or react at all. He just stays in his own little world. Is he still too young to even learn small commands? All he likes to do is bite your ankles and any of your clothes. I have tried telling him no sternly, walking away to end play, being a tree, and all other methods but no matter what he will still run after you and continue biting! It's like the only way he will stop is when he finally just wears himself out. He is a stubborn little guy that's for sure... please help if you have any ideas!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Our breeder gave us the following ideas, and they worked. Stock up on small pieces of chicken or cut up a roll of a food like Freshpets into tiny pieces! You can go light on the regular feeding if he's not food drive. Throughout the day just call his name. When, and if, he comes give him a couple small pieces of good treat. Just use the word "Yes", and don't say anything else. If he doesn't come don't scold. I had a very independent puppy, and did this about three times a day. He would stop his exploring and come to me. He also learned that Yes was a good word. Same treats worked well to lure him into a sit later. I didn't combine any regular training at first. Frustrating when you feel they are giving you the cold shoulder. If he gets too worked up in the evening with the biting, give him a time out in his crate to cool down. Not punishment, but he's little and can't regulate all behavior so well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our breeder gave us the following ideas, and they worked. Stock up on small pieces of chicken or cut up a roll of a food like Freshpets into tiny pieces! You can go light on the regular feeding if he's not food drive. Throughout the day just call his name. When, and if, he comes give him a couple small pieces of good treat. Just use the word "Yes", and don't say anything else. If he doesn't come don't scold. I had a very independent puppy, and did this about three times a day. He would stop his exploring and come to me. He also learned that Yes was a good word. Same treats worked well to lure him into a sit later. I didn't combine any regular training at first. Frustrating when you feel they are giving you the cold shoulder. If he gets too worked up in the evening with the biting, give him a time out in his crate to cool down. Not punishment, but he's little and can't regulate all behavior so well.
I will definitely try these ideas!! Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Hahahaha welcome to puppies! First off, take a deep breath and learn to laugh. Your 11 week old puppy is equivalent to a 6-8 month old child. They have selective hearing and no attention span. Oh.... and he is just about to start teething and the only way he knows how to interact with you is by placing his mouth on you like he would his mother and litter mates.

Stay calm, stay consistent and get into some puppy classes.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have an 11 week old boxer puppy that will not listen AT ALL!!!!! He does not know his name, he will not come when you tell him, if you try walking him on a leash he will get distracted at EVERY little thing he sees like a leaf in the road, he will not listen even to the point where I can teach him to sit, or stay. I can say his name and try to get his attention very sternly and he will not even turn around or react at all. He just stays in his own little world. Is he still too young to even learn small commands? All he likes to do is bite your ankles and any of your clothes. I have tried telling him no sternly, walking away to end play, being a tree, and all other methods but no matter what he will still run after you and continue biting! It's like the only way he will stop is when he finally just wears himself out. He is a stubborn little guy that's for sure... please help if you have any ideas!
So you have a puppy being a puppy... Haha.

As far as all the nipping and crazy, pretty much sounds about par for the course.

Concerning walks, Chip is the video guy and I'm sure he can post a video or 2 of a "structured walk". Once my guy Zuke figured out what the structured walk was and that "I" was in control and his only job was to follow and listen to me , a lot of the other training became much easier.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Yep welcome to puppyhood as the others have said. Training times should be short as he has a short attention span. Get a squeaky toy to gain attention and call his name, when he runs to you give him the treat or just lots of praise. (we didn't treat train, our pup could care less about food) Be consistent. Feed at the same time every day, have a routine and stick with it. This following site can give you some free training tips.
Understanding the Dog is the Key to Training - ABCANTRA

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sounds like a puppy. They are just babies, you have to remember that! Our puppy is very treat driven, to the point where she won't "perform" without a treat nearby. I really enjoyed Zak George's videos on YouTube, but I know not everyone likes his style. We watched them for weeks before we brought our girl home and still watch them to refresh. Everytime our puppy nipped at us we just substituted a toy she was allowed to chew on. We also supplied KONG toys filled with her meals so she had to work and chew to get to eat, bully sticks ( have since abandoned those since they stink and are expensive), Himalayan chews, and the best chewy so far is a bag of beef rib bones I got at the farmer's market for a couple of bucks. We throw one out into the yard and it keeps her busy all day, and leaves her tired so we can cuddle when she is ready to come in. We also worked on teaching her fetch very very early, that way we could wear her out first and then work on training skills like "sit" "down" and "paw" and "wait"

good luck! Enjoy the baby, they grow up so fast!!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Naw ... it's way to early to be calling "that" aggression??? It's pretty much a "slightly maybe over the top "Boxer" experience! And if you think he doesn't listen or care about what you say ... be glad you did not a girl! :)

You just haven't made the connection yet?? Right now you are in the "Well whatever you want to do, is not as interesting as what I want to do ... so you know ... "forget you!" The primary requirement for "Boxer Owners" I would say ... is a butt load of patience!

Now the biting thing ...yeah that can get old! Marilyn tolerated it a longer than I did! She did the "squeal like a pig" and "turn the back thing." And Struddell said ... cool noise and Ok I'll bite you in the butt!

For me ... if she clamped on my hand I'd grab her lower jaw and apply gentle pressure and issue a very harsh and firm "NO!!" So she quickly discovered daddy's no fun for the biting crap sooo ...back to mom. She did stop the biting anyone bit after a short while. Redirect with a toy will work but some form of correction "verbal or the hands on grab" should be done first! No means No but not without some form of consequence. A properly trained and taught, NO ... will come in handy down the road.

But you know ... what to do "now??" My favorite "Puppy" trainer is Betheny lot's of info to be found. And I will point out ... "training puppies in place.":

So as always step one in dealing with dog/puppies is ... step back and chill. Break it down you can't fix everything at once. And yes walks or important but it's a puppy young growing bones so you can't go that far at first for awhile.

Clips are there (on leash training) but first things first. Welcome aboard ... sorry it's a bumpy ride so far. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts