Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that Apollo has a few bumps on his back underneath his coat. They seem not to cause any pain to him but I would like to know what it is. Has anyone else experienced this. If so, whAt was it and what did u do to treat it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Are they black? Our older boxers have always ended up with black little wart type growths under their fur but have never caused any pain-just another boxer thing. The vets never concerned.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apollo is only seven months. No they aren't black they just look like raised fur. When I rub my hand across them I feel the lumps

·
Registered
706 Posts
My seth had that too on his legs-but again he was older. Do you have a pic? Could it be ringworm? The hair will normally fall out if its ringworm,but it has to start somewhere.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Suzie had some bumps on her face like that, I took her to work (I'm a veterinary assistant) and had one of the Doc's look at her. Turn to find out she just got bit by something and had an allergic reaction to it.

Take him into the vet, It's always better to just take a boxer in when you see bumps on them. Trust me, there's to many time we had boxers come in to late to catch something.... just be safer then sorry.

I'm sure it's just allergies/allergic reaction though.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I agree, they look like hives. I'd give some Benedryl and see if that doesn't help. One morning Olive woke up covered in hives. I think she had been stung by something, but I never did figure it out. They went down over the course of a few hours, but I gave her Benedryl to help. Does he show any signs of itching? I would try the Benedryl today before I went to the vet. If they go down, you can pretty much bet they are hives and he is allergic to something that either bit him or he has gotten into.

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
1 mg. per pound. I believe they are 25 mg each, if you get the tablets instead of capsules you can give one and a half.

:)

·
Registered
497 Posts
I agree with the rest and say that it looks like hives, especially if they came on suddenly...Lily gets like that if she gets into fire ants or the like. If the benedryl gets rid of them, then its a good chance that it was just the allergic reaction :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Does Apollo stay outside alot? We have mosquitoes here bad at night in the summer, we have to spray our dogs with OFF when we let them out to do their business at night, if we don't then Diesel gets bumps just like in your picture from the bites.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apollo is doing fine after the benedryl. His back has cleared up. Thanks for the input guys. :)

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Well Brooklyn had a few similar bumps like this on her hind legs, and I was going to take her to the vet but someone suggestion she could have had an allergic reaction to something...So I gave her some benadryl and within 2 weeks they went away and have not returned.. is 1mg per pound of body weight so I would give 1.5 pills that are 25mg per pill..make sense? however a check up would not be a bad idea

1 - 14 of 14 Posts