Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now it's been about a couple of months ago I think that I changed Daisy's food to Wainwrights. I was under the impression that Daisy was doing well on this food but we have noticed, and my mum pointed out to me that Daisy looks as if she has lost weight. With regards to the amount of food that she eats, she eats her food very well and we allow her to eat as much as she needs because we've never had problems with her eating too much.
I was thinking of swaping her food and I wondered if any of you have any views on this new food that Purina Pro Plan has just brought out? It's called large breed athletic which they say is formulated for dogs like the boxer, dobermans, setters and german shepherds. It says that it has adapted protein levels and extra nutrients to support the development and maintenance of muscle mass and sustain the higher energy requirements of athletic breeds.
I thought that this may help to build her up a bit.
What do you all reckon?

Heather

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Heather I'm a bit leery of anything by Purina...And now with all the recalls going on, I would be even more cautious...Before you change foods tho, I'd try a few things to maybe fatten her up a bit....Add some extra protein to her diet, or better still give her a big Kong stuffed with peanut butter & yogurt in the middle of the day....If you are sure that there isn't anything physically wrong with her (maybe a vet visit?), I'd just keep an eye on her....Just as an FYI, boxers technically are not considered a large breed dog, so I wouldn't want to go with a food that specifies that. I like using an All Stage Food, seems to work better...

Give that Daisy girl a hug and tell her that it isn't fashionable any more to be thin  :lol:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
My philosophy is anything that can be bought in a grocery store or at a place like Walmart is junk!  Right now we are feeding Charlie Chicken Soup and he loves it.  To me he looks a tad bit on the smaller side but he looks healthy and nobody most comment about how healthy he looks.  We had him on Canidae before changing.  Both are quality foods but he since we've swapped foods his shedding has almost stopped.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Try Canidae or Timberwolf or Chicken Soup - they all have great ratings.  You need to stay away from food that list any "by products" (like chicken by-products), "wheat " or "corn".  Boxers tend to have allergies to corn and wheat.

The first of the 5 ingredients should be a protien source (chicken, turkey, bison, beef, etc.) and any protien-meal is the best (like chicken meal).  The rest of the ingredients should be whole grains like brown rice or whole oats or should be fruits and vegetables.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We feed Timberwolf, wev'e fed that for almost a year now. Nothing but great things to say about it. Good luck, it's hard to find a food that agree's with them, Maya has colitis so we have them both on the blackforest and they are thriving.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've been feeding Natural Choice for three going on four years (and Alpo before that when I didn't know any better)... I wanted to switch to Natural Balance but my boyfriend and I go in halves on the dog food, so asking to switch is going to be a toughy. I really liked Royal Canin.. I just don't want to switch even with the food recall because we haven't had any problems yet... I'm afraid if we did switch the thunderstorm of problems would come..

·
Registered
905 Posts
Heather, you're in the UK and have probably noticed by now that a lot of the foods that are on the Whole Dog Journal list are only available in the US.

Anyway, if you're still looking to change Daisy's food, you could try www.ardengrange.ie.  They deliver to the UK.  I changed Tink onto this about 7 weeks ago and the difference in her already is just unreal.  And she LOVES it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts