Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this all happened 30min ago now...I heard something break out back...(I had just let him out) went out and he was in the middle of the yard peeling the layers off of the amayllis bulb...I set it out there earlier to freeze tonight not knowing that they were poisonous...I googled it and called my vet he was gone on a house call so refered me to emergency clinic the vet said she couldnt find anything in her books about it and I was like on the internet i found lots and they said it was poisonous so she had me call poison control.....: they said that it can cause naseau, vommiting, drowsiness, diaherea, paralysis or seizures..she said to watch him and if anything happened to call the emergecy vet back.......So im kinda freaking out here I dont know how much he ate and I dont know does anyone know anything about this....Just please pray for,.....And I am thankful for any help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,134 Posts
Sophie ate an entire bulb about 3 days ago and didn't have any effect on her.  I didn't know they were poison - so I didn't do anything about it.  I was just ticked off that she stole it off my desk and destroyed it.  She had dirt all over the floor, but no sign of the bulb.  I'm hoping your baby is okay, but it didn't hurt Sophie at all.  Hope others have more information on this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,155 Posts
Hope your dog is ok, for me, if my dog ate anything that I knew was not good, I would induce vomiting.  I know that's extreme, but I always contact my vet before I have done it (which is only 2 times) and due to eating panties   :oops:

To me, I dont like to take chances, and I hate the sit and waiting game.   Did you call you vet back and tell them what PC said?  And then see what they suggest?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the problem is...its an emergency vet not my normal vet and they said not to bring him in unless he showed any signs.....the poison control said all they do to treat it is symptomatic treatment....so they just treat the symptoms that he has at the time....I have found some more info on some horticulture websites saying that it has to be large amounts have to be ingested to poison an animal....Duke seems ok, He is wrestling with my son on the floor here next to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,155 Posts
If he was chewing and did not eat the entire bulb, then that may decrease the level of alarm.  Like eating chocolate.  Dog eats a peice of a cookie to an entire bowl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,155 Posts
If he was chewing and did not eat the entire bulb, then that may decrease the level of alarm.  Like eating chocolate.  Dog eats a peice of a cookie to an entire bowl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,134 Posts
Well after reading that article Heather listed the link for - Sophie should have been sick - I guess we dodged the bullet on this one.  How scarey!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok I got some more info from Purdue Vet School :  http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/plant04.htm

TOXICITY RATING: Moderate. Incidents of poisoning by these plants is rare, but special care must be taken, especially with lily of the valley

symptoms and treatment:  bulbs for amaryllis and for iris, vomiting and diarrhea should resolve in a few hours. If the signs continue, or if the pet is weak, sick, pregnant, nursing ,or old, a veterinarian can provide supportive care until the toxin is eliminated.

He is still good, Im crossing my fingers.
***He was peeling the layers and eating them like an onion and chewing on it teeth marks were all over it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,939 Posts
Poisonous plants for dogs do include the amaryllis.  The other ones are, asparagus ferns, crown of thorns, ivy plants, and chrysanthemum.

Lilly of the Valley is one of the most toxic I have seen.  

The signs of plant poisoning are vomiting, abdominal pain, tremors, convulsions, and increases respiratory rate. It does all depend on how much they ate and it is the bulb that is toxic.  Next time around I agree that making them vomit as soon as possible is a good route to go....

Hope all is well and it sounds like he did not get enough of it to cause an issue.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thank you everyone for your help....I just had a minor panic attack bc I have lost two people that are very close to me and I have been under so much stress lately.  :? and just wanted to make sure i covered all of the bases.  He is doing good if he does show any signs i will be going to the er vet.  I will let everyone know.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top