Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm fairly new to BoxerForums, but I'm having trouble at home.  I have a one year old un-neutered male boxer named Duke, he's a very good dog and very obedient, we've crated him at night and when we're gone since we've had him (about a month) and he has only peed in his crate twice, however when we're around, we give him time out of the crate inside with our other dog to play.  They are normally outside for a few hours to go to the bathroom and then we bring them inside to lay down and relax.  Somehow, Duke manages to sneak away somewhere, normally to our bedroom, and he always marks the end of our bed or another piece of our furniture!  It's not just a small amount of pee either, it's a very large continual pee.  We have scolded him for this, but he doesn't seem to learn or become any the wiser.  I don't know how to stop this behavior. It's so frustrating.   PLEASE HELP!  Thanks!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Try not letting him have access to other rooms with out you present.
After they come in from playing, pay close attention to him.  If you see any sign that hes about to mark stop him and bring him outside.
Also, i'd give more time then a month.  They are smart dogs, but even at 1 year old boxers are still puppies.  They need constant repetition.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Also make sure to clean the spots really well with something that will take away his odor so that he is not drawn back to the spots...Natures Miracle works really well......And I agree to keep the bedroom door closed to break the cycle of it being just a habit....

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Like was already stated, Boxers have a rather long puppyhood, so that behavior isn't unusual, especially as you just brought him home...I would suggested neutering him tho, that should put a stop to him marking as well...Rooms you don't want him to have access to, close the doors, keep a close eye on him, heck pretend he's a brand new puppy you just brought home. It's almost like you have to start from scratch with the potty training....Not a pleasant thought, but it works  :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks EVERYONE!! Duke has been doing better, we close all the doors when he's inside and if he wanders down the hall and I hear him stop moving, I'll call for him and he comes running, we watch him pretty closely and he's been excellent. He stopped going pee in his crate last week, so I think he's making progress.  You've all been very helpful, thanks so much!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Omg, I just went and looked at Duke's pic, I could swear that was Samson maybe 9 yrs ago, the crop and the face are almost identical.....He is a gorgous boy :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts