Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone--
I have an appointment at the vets this week, but until then, maybe someone could give me a little insight of what might be wrong.

Yesterday, Lola was standing on my lap. Her feet on the floor and her front paws on my legs. SO I ran my hands up and down her back, she loves that! Well anyways, she fell into my arms, and at first I thought she might have just falled asleep. Then her back legs gave out, and I laid her down on the floor, to see her just shaking, eyes rolled back, not moving, just laying there kind of spazing out. I thought she was gone. Then like 30 seconds later, she woke up and acted as if nothing was wrong.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Could be a seizure. SuzyQ had seizures last year for no apparent reason they could find. Make a note of when and symptons etc for the vet especially if they occur again. Our vet had us keep a diary of her seizures to see if they followed a pattern. They did run tests on her (I honestly can't remember for what now, it's been just over a year). The first one she had, she was running in the yard and just dropped over and we thought she was dead from a heart attack (and I thought I would be too), after only a minute she was back on her feet like nothing happened. Our vet did not want to medicate without knowing if this would be an ongoing problem and how severe etc they would be. She had about 6 or 7 over a 2 week period (they became less and less severe) and then they stopped and I hope they never return. Vet said dogs can suffer from seizures for no specific reason they can figure out. Heat/excitement/ who knows. He did tell me that although they are extremely frightening when they happen he had never seen a dog that suffered injury or lasting ill effects from the seizures themselves. SuzyQ has b een in perfect health since with no problems, I hope your baby is too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks for the quick responses. They are outside during the day, so I am unsure what she could of eaten, but they dont have access to anything. Would you say I should take her in, or maybe wait and see if it ever happens again. Thanks

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
It does sound like a seizure. As SuzyQ suggested just keep an eye on her for any more. and keep a diary daily of what she has eaten, activity, stress, any sprays or cleaning products you may have used etc. Then if she does have another episode (prayers she doesn't [-O< ) you can check your diary and see if anything may have triggered it. If you have any other questions you are welcome to pm. me :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
lyndsay_warner2005 said:
Well thanks for the quick responses. They are outside during the day, so I am unsure what she could of eaten, but they dont have access to anything. Would you say I should take her in, or maybe wait and see if it ever happens again. Thanks
I posted after you'd posted this - there's no need to rush her into the vet - the time she would need emergency veterinary treatment is if the seizures continued coming one after the other or a seizure lasted for 5 minutes without proper recovery. Forgot to mention - if you want to make sure it is a seizure if it ever happens again - click your fingers infront of her eyes and say her name - she will respond - if she doesn't respond she's having a seizure. As I said if you have any more questions just pm me :)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I experienced something similar this past Saturday. Coby was running around playing and then we were walking into my room and he just collapsed, stiffened up and started convulsing. I researched it and got some advice and I'm 99% sure it was a seizure. I didn't take him into the vet yet. I am waiting to see if he has another and so far he has been perfectly fine. Just write down everything that happened and all that so incase she has another one you can relay that information to the vet. Once again I'm so sorry this happened! I know what you are feeling! It's scary seeing your baby go through something like that. >:D<

1 - 9 of 9 Posts