Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it's nice out, I like to take the dogs rollerblading. It's a workout for me and it wears them out...some. Problem is, they both like to run FAR apart from eachother and far from me. I'm constantly fighting to keep them close enough so the leashes aren't at full tention. The other problem is Milo tries to run after ever ball, kid, bike, noise, leaf, etc. I'm working on correcting that with a pinch collar and constant corrections...but I'm at a loss with the leash tention issue.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Re: Help! I'm at my wits end.

i have that double dog thing..i works great..its actually a riot the first few times..tehy bang heads and lok at eachother like hey stop that..

and i was getting a mental pic of you rollar blading with dogs going either way ..hahahahaha b/c i did that ONCE..never again hahahahaha

maybe yours will get it..mine didnt .onyx was busy chasing birds and isis was banging into my leg and i ran over her foot..wasnt a good day but im sure the people watching were dyinnnnnnnnnnnn laughing hahahaha

but the coupler is great !! mine get it now...just not on wheels hehe

·
Registered
270 Posts

My nieghbor uses that double dog leash for her two black labs.  SHe LOVED it!  I've been thinking about getting one, but Chloe loves to tackle Fiddler, so I don't know how well it will work for me.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I might try that. I tied their leashes together, like a coupler...Kaci hated it, she couldn't figure out what was happening. My only worry is that they're going to get into it while we're going along b/c they get annoyed with each other.

You should see my set up right now, it's a riot. I have Kaci on a harness and leash, Milo on a harness and leash then a pinch collar on Milo with a seperate leash. I hold the harness leashes with one hand and the leash with the pinch in the other and then pull on it if he starts to head off the path. :lol:

Should I be using harnesses or collars? I've been using harnesses b/c sometimes I have them pull me to wear them out a little more and I don't want them choking all over the place.

·
Registered
270 Posts

Ok...wow that is QUITE a set up you have there!  I have NO idea how you can walk them....let alone rollerblade!  If Chloe didnot NEED to "take down" Fiddler every time we go outside I would give that a try.  Please let me know if you do and how it works for you!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Yesterday Milo pulled me down, luckily it was towards the grass (he was trying to get to a dog behind a 6" provacy fence)...that's why I added the pinch collar b/c he responds really well to it.

I think I'm going to get one tonight or tomorrow, so I'll be sure to let you know how it works. Hopefully they'll start to understand the concept of staying in front and not pulling me in 500 different directions.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

:D can you take pics too? hehe we wanna see ..:)lmao

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I thought about it. Let me see what I can come up with. :lol:

·
Registered
270 Posts

That is too funny!!  Thank GOODNESS u were pulled into the grass!!  Pictures would be great...I SO can always use a great laugh!  It is amazing what we do for our dogs!!  Please do let me know how it works and the tricks you use to get them to cooperate with it!!  I can ALWAYS use the help!!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

this is what i do...i have plain silver chokes on both dogs and attatch the coupler..they yank each0ther for the first few minutes but they they catch a groove...it does work...b/c both pull back when pulled ..so they begin a rhythem...if they seem to be struggling..switch sides...putting whoever walks better right next to you..i have to have isis on my leg and onyx on the outside..thats just how they seem to be comfortable

hope it works for ya..

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I'm here alone, so you get the gist w/o me in the picture. It's not as hard as it seems...when they do actually cooperate. :lol:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

kysims\";p=\"37115 said:
this is what i do...i have plain silver chokes on both dogs and attatch the coupler..they yank each0ther for the first few minutes but they they catch a groove...it does work...b/c both pull back when pulled ..so they begin a rhythem...if they seem to be struggling..switch sides...putting whoever walks better right next to you..i have to have isis on my leg and onyx on the outside..thats just how they seem to be comfortable

hope it works for ya..
That sounds like a good idea. I might have to just walk them for awhile until they understand the concept and then we can rollerblade again.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

good Lord Theresa they are gorgeoussssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!

such big beautful dogs ..kudos to mama'

omg did i just type kudos? ewwwwwwww....preppy cape cod chic came through for a quick second,shhhhhhhhhhh

lmaooooooooooooo

it looks like you have a good system ...hope you are incident free :):) lol

·
Registered
270 Posts

That makes sense!  Mine LOVE to switch it up constantly while walking!  It is a bit annoying.  I guess the old idea "practice makes perfec"t holds true here!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

LOL! Thank you for the compliments. :D

You tell they look THRILLED. I think I said wait (= to stay) about 5000 times getting them to stay still to get the pictures. lol

Thoes pictures really show how small Kaci is compared to Milo.

yeah, hopefully no MORE incidents. lol

·
Registered
270 Posts

OK...Im so LMAO right now at those pictures!!!  Do you SERIOUSLY walk them like that?????  How hard is all I can imagine!!  They don't look all tooo happy!  WOW...you have gorgeous dogs there though! I so could NOT walk mone like that!  You must be an incredible dog walker!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh yeah I do. lol They listen fairly well, it's the end that is the real kicker, they just want to pull me into the middle of the street instead of going straight ahead of me.

Thank you for the compliments...they say woo woo (thank you) as well.

They're pissed b/c they thought they were going for another walk but I just kept telling them to wait (stay). lol

·
Registered
270 Posts
Om gosh....I bet they were pissed!  To get all "suited" up and no where to go!  They must think that was a cruel joke on them!  I'm just impressed that you can walk them like that!  I laugh at myself when I try to walk mine each on a single leash!  I can ONLY imagine what I look like...let alone YOU!!  I sooo love the woo woo's!  tooo cute!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I must say as well, that is impressive!! Sadie is only 12weeks and she is a strong girl!! Can't imagine your two! Nice work  :wink: I have to say they are two of the cutest boxers! And their facial expressions are priceless!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts