Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Jazz was eating this evening, she rared up -almost like she had been kicked or thrown- fell over onto her back  & then her side.  As she was laying there she was shaking all over and then let out the most blood curdling moan I've ever heard.  She lost control of her bladder and just kept moaning....  I knelt down beside her and just kept saying her name as I stroked her side.  It took her about 1-2 minutes before she was "with" me again and then another 45 seconds  before she would stand up.  I took her out side to see if she needed to pee again, and then brought her back in to clean her up.  She seems totally fine right now.  What in the world could be going on?????????  I'm so scared, but I don't want to frighten her- she doesn't seem to have any recollection of what happened.

HELP :cry:

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
OMG this is so scary. I wish I had some sort of idea what happened...but unfortunately I am no help. I am sure many people will respond with ideas. I am so sorry that your baby went through that and that you had to see it. I am sending happy and healing vibes your way.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'm not sure if this is exactly the same, but about 3-4 time now Kaci has been trying to throw something up, she got it out and then fell over like one of those goats that freeze and fall on their side. She'd fall over all stif like, then start to move her legs...still stiff, then about 20 seconds after she fell over, she'd be fine. She'd start running around like nothing happened. What I figured with her is that whatever she was trying to throw up blocked her airway long enough to make her kind of black out for a second or something, I'm not sure.

I'd call your vet in the morning and see what he/she thinks. I hope your poor baby starts feeling better. :(

G

·
0 Posts
I know i am new but when my goat did the same thing she had a twisted stomach and most big dogs have this complication or a....oh my i can't think of what it is called but big dog with big chest get gas or air cought in their chest and that happens to them i would get you baby into an emergency vet soon they only like to sit on thses two problems for about 12 hours just to be safe i have seen animals die in a span of 24 hours if not diagnosed right away another thing is a diebetic sezure hope this helps you..

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
is babygirl speaking of bloat? i dunno im not much help on this issue..boy oh boy i hope things are ok must have been aweful to watch

prayers are with you

·
Registered
780 Posts
Sounds just like what our cat does when it has a seizure.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
My first two thoughts were either she swallowed a piece of food and it became stuck in her airway long enough to cut off oxygen to cause a seizure type espisode, which may never happen again or she had a seizure.

·
Registered
186 Posts
babygirl\";p=\"39551 said:
I know i am new but when my goat did the same thing she had a twisted stomach and most big dogs have this complication or a....oh my i can't think of what it is called but big dog with big chest get gas or air cought in their chest and that happens to them i would get you baby into an emergency vet soon they only like to sit on thses two problems for about 12 hours just to be safe i have seen animals die in a span of 24 hours if not diagnosed right away another thing is a diebetic sezure hope this helps you..
Its call K9 Bloat. My Rottie died of it about 4 years ago. Pure bread dogs are the ones that get it the most from what my rottie vet told me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That sounds liek a seizure to me...especially with the loss of control with the bladder as all muscles involutarily tighten and loosen when this happens.  My friend had a (dangit can't remembe the name of the breed now, but the long-eared ones that swim and chase stuff and everything), and he had seizures after he was about 5 yrs. old.  They took him to the vet, can't remember what caused it but they did give him some medication and he lived a VERY normal 8 or 9 more years with an occasional episode now and then.

·
Registered
243 Posts
That sounds liek a seizure to me...especially with the loss of control with the bladder as all muscles involutarily tighten and loosen when this happens.  My friend had a (dangit can't remembe the name of the breed now, but the long-eared ones that swim and chase stuff and everything), and he had seizures after he was about 5 yrs. old.  They took him to the vet, can't remember what caused it but they did give him some medication and he lived a VERY normal 8 or 9 more years with an occasional episode now and then.
Yes, I think this too. It could be something like epilepsy. One of our boxers had it too, the first time when she was 2 years.
It

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quick update-  Jazz did fine last night.  After hours vet thought it may be a seizure, but recommended I keep a journal and record incidences- that way we can try to pinpoint.  They did not recommend seeing her this morning, but wanted us to monitor her for a couple of days ( she has an annual check up scheduled).

Thank you all for your support and quick replies...  that was one of the scariest things I've ever witnessed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Crossroads Animal Clinic in Halls

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Hoping that this was just a one time thing for Jazz...Give that sweetheart a hug & kiss fo rme nad will be keeping he rin my thoughts...

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
That must have been really scary, like Willow said hope it is only one time and Jazz doesn't get another one.

·
Registered
578 Posts
That sounds like a seizure to me. That's exactly what would happen when Elvis would get them. If she has another one, time it and bring her to the vet ASAP.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts