Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I'm new to the forum, and looking for some major help. After years of being on the fence about having a boxer, my husband and I adopted a 4 year old, 67 lb boxer boy this weekend. We love our Buddy so much (amazing in such a short time!), and we were told he was good with cats. That was a lie. He lunges at our two kitties and I'm not sure what to do. He's good in the crate, and I read about correcting him when the cats walk by until he stops lunging, but the cats won't walk by!

Both kitties have been around dogs before, so I'm not sure what to do. We rescued them a long time ago, so our first responsibility is to them. Any good advice out there? We're prepared to make this work, even if it takes forever.

Thanks in advance! :roll:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well, is it an aggressive lunging or playful? Boxers use their front paws a lot in play... and I don't think they realize how rough they're being... they're just being Boxers. Prada plays rough w/cats... chases them & everything... but she would never intentionally hurt them.

I don't really have any suggestions over here, unfortunately... :?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
My Sam still chases and lunges at our cats but they have learned to adapt and jump up on things to get away from him. If I see it, I correct him. However, I think Jake (cat) purposely taunts Sam and I have seen them playing together so I think Jake is used to the abuse now  :lol: Initially though, I kept Sam on a lead to make sure he wasn't going to hurt them. Cats are pretty smart though - if they have a place to jump up on, they should be fine.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yep... I think you just have to let them work it out in the end. If Prada gets too rough, she received a few swats & some hisses... and she'll back off. But I agree w/Dana. I think the cats taunt them sometimes. I've seen Kahlua go right up to Prada & just start rubbing on her... flicking his tail in her face & everything - now THAT'S just asking for it! :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure if its playful or not! I don't know if I trust him enough to find out. I want this to work so badly, but I'm afraid of losing one of my kitties in the process. Should I just try it one day?

The cats definately understand playfulness. The dog we lived with previously was good for that, and my one cat (Weasel) would leap on her from the top of the staircase when she was sleeping. The resulting chase was always a popcorn moment.

I'd like to try the "walking by the crate" idea, but my Buddy came pre-trained to goto sleep immediately upon entering the crate. Its quite amazing actually. He whines for 15 seconds, then is snoring 30 seconds later. I want to be able to test him, but he's always sleeping! (Btw, is that normal?!?)

·
Registered
112 Posts
The first thing I would try to find out if I were in your situation is if he really is trying to play (albeit roughly) with the cats, or whether it is an attack/prey drive thing.  Hopefully it is the former, because then you just need to desensitize them to each other in a controlled manner where the dog can't chase.  It's a tough cycle b/c when a dog chases, the cats run, which encourages the dog to chase even more.  In my experience, it took a few months for Spinx to stop chasing the cats all the time, and he still will on occasion, but I know that he would never hurt them.  It actually just took our big burly outdoor cat standing up to him, and biting him on the jowls to make Spinx back down.  Granted, my situation was a little different because Spinx is a pup and yours is older.  Sometimes is just takes time for the animals to work it out.  If you suspect that he might be intentionally trying to kill the cats, I would seek out a professional to help you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To anyone still interested - I took the plunge. He'd been really good about not lunging at the cats when they walked past his crate. Yes he eventually stopped sleeping all the time in the crate... And the cats finally got the courage to walk past his crate when he was awake... So I let him out with them. Its been about 3 weeks now and I feel the situation is good. He cornered my gray cat one day, and she gave it to him good on the muzzle. I thought for sure he'd attack, but he just wimpered, sat back and gave her this poor little "ouch" face. Since then they've gotten along quite well, well enough to sleep on the same side of the couch. My orange tabby is a different story. The orange fluffer is terrified of Buddy! He'll arch up, yowl, and hiss at the poor dog when he comes in a 10ft range. Poor Buddy, he doesn't even bother him! I'm hoping one day the cat will stop with the hissing and yowling long enough to notice the dog doesn't care what he's doing. The best is in the morning. Buddy sleeps next to my side of the bed and the cat sleeps up on my pillow. Sometimes the cat wakes up facing the direction of the dog, freaks and starts hissing/yowling - at like 3am when both the dog and I are sound asleep! Good grief, I'm hoping the little orange man finds some courage soon!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well, that's progress!! It sometimes does take awhile...I remember when we brought Tia home from Boxer Rescue, my kitty Oreo ran away for over a week, yes he was upset, but they eventually worked it out :)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
That's great that you're making such good progress. I am sooo jealous!
I have had Ollie for about 6 months and the cat and dog cannot even be in the same room without hissing and growling (from the cat).
I was told Ollie was cat-friendly when I got him. Turns out not so much  :doh:
Emily (the cat) has been around doggies and as long as they are not trying to come after her - she is cool with them.
Well, I had Ollie one week and we were all sitting on the floor - they were both on either side of me, both in a down just chilling. I was like, wow, this is fantastic!
Then boom, Ollie went after her and actually got her in his mouth. I finally got him to drop her and after cleaning up all the blood (it was mine thankgod - I don't even know how it happened), we have been a separated household.
I shouldn't have trusted that he was cat friendly and done on-leash training in the house with him to discourage the behavior.
Live and learn.  A side note - Emily was declawed when she adopted me, so she can't really defend herself all too well - so that's why I am super careful with them. I do try to get them in the same room every once in awhile. It may take a couple years for them to learn to ignore each other (which is all I am hoping for at the moment).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Glad to hear things are working out so well.  Sometimes it just takes time for them to get used to eachother.  As long as its just a play thing and not an "I want to eat you" thing you'll be fine.  Just keep an eye on him.

Brian

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Figured I would just bump this thread b/c it applies ;-)...

Was wondering if you all think I am making progress with my cat (Emily) and Ollie ??
For the most part I have Ollie downstairs and Emily upstairs (with a baby gate on the stairs).
I do usually bring Emily downstairs when Ollie is going to town on his Kong so she can watch and relax with me on the sofa (as much as she can b/c of incident from post above).
Ollie used to sometimes stop and come over to 'greet' Emily, but he has taken to staying there and eating and recently going into his kennel. He also does it sometimes when he is not even eating his Kong ;-).  I have NEVER ever used the kennel for punishment, although Ollie does go in there if he knows he was bad. He knocked over the garbage and I was upstairs, so I came down and couldn't find him - lo and behold - in the kennel, silly boy.
Other positive signs. If Ollie is up when I come down with Emily, he goes immediately into a down/stay.  I don't even say a word.
And I know this may sound weird, but for his last trip out to go potty for the evening, Emily and I take him out to do his business (I am holding her, she is not an outside cat). In my weird mind, I think he'll get that she is part of his care LOL - I also feed Emily first in the morning now.

I have to go slow b/c of the incident that happened the first month, but I feel like I am making some good baby steps. Also have to go with Em's comfort level, b/c she was traumatized by the incident, understandably ...

Does it sound like progress? or just wishful thinking?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts