Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone....My Chloe is 15 weeks old.  My kids are buggine me to get another Boxer pup.....or to NOT have my Chloe spayed so that she can have pups.  I grew up with Brittany Spaniels.....one of which had pups.  I really DON'T want to go through that again.  Anyone have any advice on getting another Boxer pup when my girl is 15 weeks old???? I have a 13yr' old Corgi who hides in my closet all day.  I "watch" my moms Golden Doodle and Chloe has the BEST time with another dog.  I'm trying to pitch it to my boyfroend to get another cuz Chloe has made the worst mess out of my carpet.......and I don't want to get new carpet until she is done.  HELP  PLEASe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
From what I am reading it doesn't sound as if you are ready to take on another pup. It also sounds like you are not ready if you are worried about the carpet. If it is just the kids "bugging" you for another puppy, tell them no. Explain to them that when Chloe gets a bit older, maybe then you will be ready for another puppy, but not right now.  As far as Chloe having puppies, she is still a baby herself...15 weeks?? She should not be bred until all her health tests are done and you do your research about breeding, and that would be no earlier than she is 2. I think you and the kids should just enjoy Chloe while she is a puppy herself.  :wink:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I have to agree with what Tootsie said, taking on a pup is a HUGE commitment. If you already are having "issues" about potty training Chloe, now is not the time to bring another pup into the house...Taking care of one pup is a lot of work, double that with 2, it takes time and a huge amount of patience...

I do not believe in having a litter just so the kids can experience what it's like, that is absolutely wrong..A member of my meetup did that and ended up with 11 pups!! Now all those un health tested pups need homes...Sit your kids down and just explain to them that you need Chloe to grow up some before you consider another pup..It's in your best interests, Chloe's and why subject another pup to an atmosphere that is not truly ready for that?

Marq & I fell in love with a pup at Rhonda's when we picked up Angel, Bo was 10 wks old and he just was the cutest baby, loved us to death, followed us everywhere..We REALLY wanted that pup..Talked about it all the way home, how we could deal with housebreaking 2 boxers, what would Samson do, etc..At the end of the of the day, we came to the conclusion it would not be fair anyone to do that, so as much as we wanted that sweet little guy, we told Rhonda we just couldn't do it...I still feel we made the best decision and Bo has found his forever home, so it worked out for the best...It's very tempting to snatch up a cute little pup, but just think very carefully about the repercussions...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Having two that young is extremely hard.  We rescued Gunner when Scout was only 6 mos old.  Training is difficult to say the least.  They are too worried about the other one to pay full attention and they think it is always playtime.  They will require individual time for training.  You must make sure that they know you are the pack leader.

You mentioned potty training x2 can get difficult too.  Or you can look at it like this.....getting it over and done with at the same time and not having to worry about it for years seems like a winner.

There are pros and cons on each side of this one and you must look at each an every one of them.  You MUST be dedicated at all times on working with them or you will have two holligans that you cannot control.  I think it is best to wait until Chloe is at least 1-1/2 to 2 years old before getting another one.  She will be able to help you train the new one too.  They often learn by example.

Good luck on your decision.  It will be a hard one to make.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts