Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Duke, thanks for the websites.  There was one I found about a year ago that had alot of listing for my area, and I can't find it again.  I do know the www.betterdog.com doesn't look like something I would be interested in.  I did call them, and when they want to do an evaluation and then discuss price, I'm wagering it's gonna be alot of money.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
you could also speak with your vets office or local boxer clubs/rescues to see who they would recceommend. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
southerngirls, to the best of my knowledge, there are no local boxer clubs.  I think the closest boxer rescue area is in Nashville which is roughly a two hour drive one way.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Have you looked into daycare maybe a couple days a week?  Our local trainers run a daycare program, and a variety of obedience and agility classes.  They also have a fenced in area that is separate if you just want to come and let the dog rip.  It was amazing how they can read the dog's behavior with a large group.  Then they could recommend a plan.  They worked around passive resistance in our case.  It was actually very cunning behavior on his part, but frustrating for us.  I'd check around and visit some places.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
We found a local trainer that came to our house and worked with Tyson one-on-one. He was amazing with him.  I hope you can find someone in your area.  I liked the one-on-one training better then the group.  Tyson learned and behaved really well, and he gave use so many useful tools.  And I think Tyson felt more "safe" because it all took place in our home.  The trainer had really great referrals, and it worked out really well.  Unfortuantely, he was not cheap, but well worth it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
We found a trainer that works well with our boxer, Yogi.  Just look up www.barkbusters.com and there should be a barkbusters trainer in your area or close. It is comparable pricing to private training everywhere we looked. Also, It has a guarantee that your trainer will work for you for that flat fee for the life of your dog.  Within an hour of her being here yesterday, my husband and I were already seeing a complete difference in Yogi's behavior. Usually he runs around the house looking for something to take now he listens when we don't want him taking something. If anyone wants to know more, just ask.
:)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I can't vouch for this because I haven't tried the training yet, just getting prepped for the new puppie in August.  Could I train my husband to "speak" in the meantime??  Just kidding.

The book I bought is Dog training for Dummies, Volhard Motivational Method of Training.  What goes nicely with that is that there is a Volhard Training Group on Yahoo, where trainers help problem solve online.  If you find you like the method, there's support.  You do have to read the book first.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I take Storm & Skye to Petsmart @ Turkeycreek. ( & they are both deaf).I know there is a place called Graydog lodge in Lenoir City that is where my step brother takes her malamute. Graydog Lodge is a fairly new place

1 - 16 of 16 Posts