Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
I hope his hair is doing better. It's hard to believe the poodle is already 2!
Have you tried fish or omega oil vitamins? I forget which it was our vet tech said helps with their fur, but I'm sure you can find it online. That may help from the inside....
The fish oil is can be "tricky??" It's "Fat Soluble" so it can build up in the fat layers of the skin.

Best to go to a "Vet" first to get it?? And Human Grade Fish Oil and Pet Grade Fish Oil are not identical?? Pet Fish Oil has Vitamin E in it and Human Grade does not.

And my understanding is you can use Human grade Fish Oil, but you need to supplement it with Vitamin E??? Another fat soluble vitamin???

Dog's need Vitamin E in Fish Oil cuz other wise ... they can't assimilate it?? I only know because, Rocky used Fish Oil from the Vet. So I had both bottles.
But really Coconut oil is easier (non refined) as you can put it on and/or feed it to them. :)

I only know this stuff cuz of Rocky WL GSD and for a number of years he was a "itchy nightmare???" We finally got that under control, with a Grain Free Diet ... which in retrospect?? I think may have led to heart failure, lack of Taurine?? But I don't know. :(

But "grain free food" is another topic.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Thanks for the comments..
1. The poodle is the crazy one in this house, display is wild and mouthy...not bites though.
Boxer is laid back and friendly, poodle is hyper and bark. Yesterday a friend visited, one who I cared for as a small child she is 15 now. All the dogs went crazy barking but settled except the poodle. The boxer went to her and the terrier is is ws like welcome home where have you been. The poodle acted nasty and bark but then went into his sit for pet me,,by that time though the young lady wanted nothing to do with him.
2. Kais' spots we have been treating it with
Vetericyn Plus Antimicorbial Pet Hot Spot Spray, it has kept it at bay but has not cleared it. This morning I rubbed some coconut oil in it. Just some I had on hand but will get a better grade. I will try fish oil to. But I am thinking now it is more serious like it is seborrhea . I have the shampoo but difficult to bathe right now, we are having a cold spell and I don't have the means indoors to do it. May take him to a groomer to bathe only. But you really need to do this at least 1x a week. I told my daughter I think a vet visit is in order. Last visit he hated so we shall see. I have this bad feeling (he was not bought from a breeder who health tested ). He has some other issues that I don't like either but he is my daughters dog and she manages his care on her own, with lack of funds. I wish he was as healthy as this crazy 17 year old chihuahua we have. LOL I probably should start a new thread on this. (oh and he has never been grain free per se. ) at least not the ones in question that use plant protein as opposed to meat protein. OK now my post is getting to long. LOL

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Thanks for the comments..
LOL I probably should start a new thread on this. (oh and he has never been grain free per se. ) at least not the ones in question that use plant protein as opposed to meat protein. OK now my post is getting to long. LOL
Oh "meat based" grain free kibble! I did see that but forgot to check. I'll have to see what source of Bella's food is?? But I just I screw it all and feed a handful of Cat Kibble in her meals also. Lot's of Taruine there. But that is not anything I've read, it just makes sense to me.

Sounds like Mr Poodle is not exactly making new fans for the breed. An out door meeting first, might have gone a bit better?? How was the Chi with the guest??

And the "Hot Spot's" I would recommend trying "Well Horse," it's a natural antibiotic and coats like a Liquid Bandage. And non toxic so it doesn't matter if he licks it off. Gunther used to get deep cut's on his paw's (stitches required) and Well Horse was the only thing that could be used and have still be able to walk and run.

https://www.well-horse.com/products/well-horse-resin-4-oz

It's a little pricey but it works well.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The fish oil is can be "tricky??" It's "Fat Soluble" so it can build up in the fat layers of the skin.

Best to go to a "Vet" first to get it?? And Human Grade Fish Oil and Pet Grade Fish Oil are not identical?? Pet Fish Oil has Vitamin E in it and Human Grade does not.

And my understanding is you can use Human grade Fish Oil, but you need to supplement it with Vitamin E??? Another fat soluble vitamin???

Dog's need Vitamin E in Fish Oil cuz other wise ... they can't assimilate it?? I only know because, Rocky used Fish Oil from the Vet. So I had both bottles.
But really Coconut oil is easier (non refined) as you can put it on and/or feed it to them. :)

I only know this stuff cuz of Rocky WL GSD and for a number of years he was a "itchy nightmare???" We finally got that under control, with a Grain Free Diet ... which in retrospect?? I think may have led to heart failure, lack of Taurine?? But I don't know. :(

Thanks for clarifying and the data.
Seems sometimes you're damned if you do and damned if you don't- like the grain free. We do the best we can and what we think is right.

Speaking of itchy dogs- we got the results of Bandit's allergy test and he's allergic to 3-4 types of mites and cats. We don't have a cat, but there may be some that run through our backyard...and it's possible other people who lived in our house had one in the past. We are getting new carpet in the next few months, so that may help.
We are starting him on immunotherapy drops this weekend and hope that works so we can take him off the Apoquel.

One of the mites is a storage mite...we do put their food in a plastic container, but it's not there for long (3 adult boxers going through a 20 lb bag of food).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah I agree about the ear cleaning fluid. Snowball will not come near me and if I chose her down (there was a time I HAD to give it to her daily) she will start hopping up and boxing me lmao

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts

The grain free food thing is hard for me to understand fully. I have on Natural Balance or Nature's Balance and its grain free and she itches pretty regularly. So far, it seems like she is allergic to beef, chicken and Turkey. She had a horrible hive outbreak back in October. It was so bad it lasted several days. She was all bumpy and itchy. The food I give her is fish based and it's the third brand we have tried but it seems to work for her, her poop is solid most of the time even if I give her other things. Before that was not the case. I recent added turkey to the list because of the hives, I noticed after I had given her turkey lunch meat as a training treat she got a few bumps so I stopped that right away. I can only get her expensive stinky stuff lol
Right now my go to is Trader Joe's salmon jerky but I need to buy several packages at a time and they smell fishy but they work. I also add sardines or more salmon to her kibble from time to time but I'm getting worried about the DCM (I think) that you guys have been posting about at various times and the link to grain free. My vet keeps cautioning be against making food on my own and I wish I could but I cannot at this time...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Lindar brought the grain free and lack of Tarurine thing to our attention. Cuz my first response was "well that's Cat Food Stuff?? And dog's did not "need" it because they synthesize Tarurine from there food and they can but ... "Apparently" not on most Grain Free Foods???

But if you supplement with Sardines you should be fine and I do believe it's Sardines packed in water and not oil???

And the "Raw Diet" thing?? As I understand most of the itching and other food related issues are mostly related to dogs fed kibble?? I never had itching issues, until I got my first GSD?? And in year number two with him ... that issue was "BAD!!" But Coconut Oil and Grain Free seem to get it under control.

But the Raw Diet?? It's to much for me. If done "wrong" you can do more harm then good?? Organ Meat and Muscle Meat and at the Feed and Grain, store they sell supplements for a raw diet??? But you know, if a "Raw Diet" is also balanced then why would you need to "supplement it??"

Most likely "Breeders" know how to do it right as some of them do feed raw. And ton's of folks on GSDForum among other sites, feed raw and instruct others how to do so properly. And of course there are "Books" and the "Net." But you know it's still confusing?? And to add to that ... a "Vet" would be the last place to seek advise on a "Raw Diet."

Cuz to start Vet's are not "Nutritionist??" Nutrition is only a "Two Week" course in Medical School as I understand?? Not to mention they have vested interest, in Grain Based Foods. And you know ..."treating Dog's for allergies," just saying. But rest assured, if your confused by the "Raw Diet" thing ... your not alone. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Lindar brought the grain free and lack of Tarurine thing to our attention. Cuz my first response was "well that's Cat Food Stuff?? And dog's did not "need" it because they synthesize Tarurine from there food and they can but ... "Apparently" not on most Grain Free Foods???

But if you supplement with Sardines you should be fine and I do believe it's Sardines packed in water and not oil???

And the "Raw Diet" thing?? As I understand most of the itching and other food related issues are mostly related to dogs fed kibble?? I never had itching issues, until I got my first GSD?? And in year number two with him ... that issue was "BAD!!" But Coconut Oil and Grain Free seem to get it under control.

But the Raw Diet?? It's to much for me. If done "wrong" you can do more harm then good?? Organ Meat and Muscle Meat and at the Feed and Grain, store they sell supplements for a raw diet??? But you know, if a "Raw Diet" is also balanced then why would you need to "supplement it??"

Most likely "Breeders" know how to do it right as some of them do feed raw. And ton's of folks on GSDForum among other sites, feed raw and instruct others how to do so properly. And of course there are "Books" and the "Net." But you know it's still confusing?? And to add to that ... a "Vet" would be the last place to seek advise on a "Raw Diet."

Cuz to start Vet's are not "Nutritionist??" Nutrition is only a "Two Week" course in Medical School as I understand?? Not to mention they have vested interest, in Grain Based Foods. And you know ..."treating Dog's for allergies," just saying. But rest assured, if your confused by the "Raw Diet" thing ... your not alone. :)
Feeding raw is very complicated if you want to ensure your dog is getting a balanced diet with a everything they need.

Muscle meat
Organs
Bone
Fruit
Fish
Tripe
Oil
Etc

It is hard work, expensive, time consuming, and a constant worry if you're not sure, and like others have mentioned vets will not help as they are often sponsored or funded by kibble companies!

I have been feeding raw since around 12weeks, however, I use the pre-made frozen blocks that include everything your dogs need. All I need to do is defrost over night, and then feed the following day. The problem is it's very very expensive, and if your dog is a big eater - they'll eat you out of house and home.

My little one eats 1kg (2.2lbs) of ground meat, with all the other essentials thrown in each day. She will also top that up with a raw egg, and Sardines too. That's a lot for a Boxer but as you know she does a lot of work with multiple walks, runs, bike rides daily - so she is not overweight at 31kg (68lbs)

My vet always comments how well she looks, how lovely her coat is etc - until I mention she is on a raw diet, and then he/she starts to list all their concerns and that I should use kibble. No thanks!

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
Since I had so much first hand experience with DCM I did a lot of reading while my dogs were sick, Taurine deficiency was not a real factor in al the DCM cases reported with grain free dog foods they still don't know the cause and for me personally I will not use it again I only wish I had known what was happing before I started using it. Taurine is a big deal for cats and a lot of cats were dying of heart problems before they started adding it to the cat food. Dogs are different. I read some spaniels reported they improved with added taurine after they got sick and some great danes but taurine did nothing for my dogs after they were sick. I never bought into the raw food craze because they like to compare dogs to wolves to sell their products, my dogs don't live like wolves they don't run miles and miles everyday, or go for a week or more with nothing to eat and they have nice warm beds to sleep in at night so I think this is a big marketing thing just like when they put gravy and stuff humans think is good its all money making tactics and I don't believe most of them have your dogs best interest at heart its all about the dollars.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
The last article I read on the "grain free" was leaning toward the protein base. Many of the "elite" manufacturers were using legumes like peas and lentils for the protein base, not your usual beef, chicken, turkey, fish. Though some have the beef, chicken....the legumes were the major portion of 50% or more of the protein. They are considering the a factor, you also see see some dog foods now that are Vegan...what? last I knew dogs aren't vegans. Giving some sardines is a good option. I also somewhere have a receipt to make dog treats ..This is from the dog trainer Susan Garrett site:
Put into a Blender

3 raw eggs

1 can of sardines packed in olive oil

1 package (an inside sleeve not the entire box) of graham crackers

Mix until liquidy then pour onto a cookie sheet and spread out. Back at 350 F for approximately 20 minutes until it looks rubbery and light brown on top. Let cool then cut.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Sounds like Mr Poodle is not exactly making new fans for the breed. An out door meeting first, might have gone a bit better?? How was the Chi with the guest??

And the "Hot Spot's" I would recommend trying "Well Horse," it's a natural antibiotic and coats like a Liquid Bandage. And non toxic so it doesn't matter if he licks it off. Gunther used to get deep cut's on his paw's (stitches required) and Well Horse was the only thing that could be used and have still be able to walk and run.

https://www.well-horse.com/products/...rse-resin-4-oz

It's a little pricey but it works well.

Thanks Chip I'll check it out, after putting some coconut oil on yesterday he looks better already sol will try again today and see where it goes. Yeah poodle, in his defense he was lying on the floor next to me and was surprised when my husband walked in and he heard a strange voice and saw a strange person in his domain. LOL He really would have been fine . Once Well him its ok to say hi he will usually approach the person and sit there and wait to see if they will pet him. But like holy I've never been much into people handling my dog so it has its down side at times. But I wanted a dog to make me feel safe when walking and he does. We have a man in the neighborhood who is sczoprenic and most times is off his meds, and Think heavily drinks, I alway speak to him even when he is yelling at nothing but a few times he came running toward me. a little scary he is like 6'5 he no longer does that when I have the poodle and on the other hand I think he has been on his meds lately as he now (most times) can say Hi and have a conversation, then he travels on ..on his walk So poodle is a good companion for me .

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Yeah, I wondered if it was something like that??? He sounds pretty normal really for a "dog."IE "Who are you and why are you here??? :)

Where as if my "Struddell" was asleep in the living room and someone actually manged to get in door's without her noticing??? If she then woke up and saw a stranger indoors?? Well heck that meant Christmas came early! Cuz to her "people were the greatest thing since Baked Bread!!"

I luv'd her, and if asked to pet by a stranger, ... I would "Always say, Please Do." Saying "No to someone" would have been like a correction to her. :(

But (and I am going somewhere here.) That kinda "Goodness" and speaking to the AL as I have never had a Euro??" Makes one think ... "this dog does not have a serious bone in there body???" But they do!

In retrospect, it seems fairly obvious ...but at the time I did not really notice. A well trained well behaved (Boxer) or Dog I suppose?? Does not nuisance bark. And depending on the layout of your house ... they can spend hours daily at the living room window just "Watching/Guarding!" And that means ... they know the patterns of behavior around your home and what is normal and what is not???

And if they see something "not normal??" In the middle of the night while on patrol from the back of the coach say. They will let you know!! I found that out the hard way! Struddell went off, late one night, like a Bomb, at the window! And I told her "To be Quite!"

She looked at me "woofed" once and "said" OK, then. And continued to peer into the Darkness?? Well I've told this story before ... but the next morning, Car Stereos from both of our car's had been stolen??? And yep Struddell told me something was wrong here, you might want to check it out?? And I made the wrong call??

And the only witness was Struddell! And she was kinda ticked off at me IE ... I told you so! So when I made the Police Report ... I could not get her to ID the thieves. :(

Just a long way of saying ... that Boxer's are still excellent guard dogs! And as it happens and now that I know. My new APBT/Boxer mix Bella. Yep exact same living room window behavior! She "watches" the neighborhood daily also! And you can bet, if she goes off in the middle of the night?? I'll pay attention. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
So with Duke it is those motorized skateboard things. He's just not used to them (neither am I) and whenever we are walking on our path and one comes flying down the path, he runs and ducks for cover. Also the garbage truck. Duke is not a fan of the garbage truck.

·
Registered
980 Posts
So with Duke it is those motorized skateboard things. He's just not used to them (neither am I) and whenever we are walking on our path and one comes flying down the path, he runs and ducks for cover. Also the garbage truck. Duke is not a fan of the garbage truck.
Zuke tried to steal a longboard from my neighbor, while he was on it. lol

I tried to teach him to ride it, but he just likes putting one paw on it and running with it

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Zuke tried to steal a longboard from my neighbor, while he was on it. lol

I tried to teach him to ride it, but he just likes putting one paw on it and running with it
hmm well if he will do that?? It seems like he may be able to dog the "Bull Dog" skate boarding thing, if you wanted to take it further???

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Well ...if your content with that behavior?? Then "never mind" if not let me know. That would be a dog that you could trust "off leash at all." Cuz you know "Crap Happens??"

My current, Boxer/APBT will charge, loud obnoxious thing's?? That is certainly "not" a behavior that can be tolerated on the desert and "off leash" where Dirt Bikes and ATV's can pop up out of nowhere?? That kinda crap is new to me?? But it "won't" be tolerated! But that is down road, I have no, idea where that "crap from however???" But clearly no previous, owner ever told her "NO!!!" :confused:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts