Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Zora. She was home from the hospital for 2 days and last night Zoie attcked her! She is back in the hospital with a fractred cheek bone. lacerations to her head that have been stitched and ANOTHER drain tube under her chin to relieve the blood clots! I feel like  Im going to have a nervous break down here. This poor baby that I recused has gone through more crap since she has been with me than anything. My question is what can I do to make sure this wont happen again, anything? We never crated our dogs but I did go today and bought one to try and train Zora when she gets home. Maybe it can be her "safe place". I just dont know what to do anymore. Thanks for listening....

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm sorry to hear Zora is having such a rough go of it. Maybe the crate will help her out a bit. Good luck with her, hugs to Zora.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I've never had a situation like that, but I know a few people on this forum have done it. I'm sure someone on here that has crated only one will have some advice on this issue for you, but I don't see why it couldn't be done. I would think you would start out just like if you just had a single dog. Get her used to her crate, and she probably will see it as her safe place or den.
I know Samsonsmom had to crate Angel when she first got her and Samson wasn't crated. I'm sure she will have some advice for you.  Good luck!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
there are times that i will kennel Reese and not Savannah. At first i felt bad, but then i realized that it was ok. Reese never acted out b/c she was in the kennel alone, and Svannah always seemed to be reassuing and stay close the kennel...almost as if to make sure Reese knew things would be ok.  I am sorry Zora has gone through so much, i hope things get better.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Leanne, I am s sorry to hear this.. Poor Zora..Yes, you can crate just one dog...Actually Angel is still crated when I leave the house and Samson has the run of the place, no problems....Angel goes into her crate just fine...What caused Zoie to attack her by the way? Crating might be a great way for Zora to have a "safe" place she can go..I know a lot of Boxers do use their crates even during the day, just to get away, so that might be a solution

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all your helpfulness. Thats another puzzling thing, I have clue why Zoie "snapped". There was no food, bones or toys anywhere around them.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
jeez thats aweful sweetie...im so sorry to hear that...i hope shes ok :(

we crate Isis and have never crated Onyx...he lays by the crate when we leave..or close by..its never been a problem...

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Poor little thing.  Maybe the girls just don't get along?  That could be a pain in the arse!  I've only ever had one dog at a time, so I'm affraid I can't help on that point.  I will pray for you guys.  Poor Zora, what does vet say about healing time?  Maybe being in a crate where the others can't reach her will help her heal quicker.
God's blessings on you as you go through this rough time.  Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Oooohhhh....that looks so uncomfortable, poor baby; hope she gets better soon.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Any same sex can fight, and why many of rescues are really hesitant to place same sex boxers in homes.   However many have no issues with them (same sex).  I would REALLY just be careful and seek some professional trainer/behavorist help when getting the two back together. Crate is good, but only a bandaid (IMO) to something that needs to be worked out.     Agression should not be taken lightly esp when one is getting injured to the extreme that your little one did.   Maybe with the help of a trainer you can work to get them together and act like the responsible boxer they should be  :wink:

Fingers crossed for a healthy healing and that you can get the situation under control - good luck!!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
My gosh, that poor kid! I tell ya, at one point I had two females - one great dane mix and a boxer, both fixed- and every so often they would get into it and sometimes it wasn't pretty and there was blood, however they grew up together so there wasn't that big of a size difference and the damage was not quite of the magnitude of your baby. It was so weird, they slept together, ate together, but every so often one of them would snap. Gosh, it would stress me out to no end and I swore I would never have two same sex dogs again. I am so sorry for Zora - I hope she gets better soon.

·
Registered
780 Posts
That poor baby!  She looks so sad.  We have always crated one at a time if needed and never had any issues with it.  The crated one didn't come out of the crate mad because it was crated and the others weren't.  I would for sure get one for her to use to feel safe in.  I know that we leave the crate door open and during the day ours goes in and just sleeps for awhile when they want to get away.  

We had three females (before we knew it wasn't a good idea to put same sex together) and two of them would occasionally get into fights like that, usually it was over bones or the UPS truck/man coming to the house.  When they got into it over that there would be blood and it was NOT easy to seperate them.  It took at least two of us to pull them apart and separate them....it was like they weren't aware of anything else just trying to kill the other dog.  After the fight we would put one in the cage or outside and check each of them over, clean up the cuts/blood and after about 30 minutes or so bring them back together.  They would go up to each other and lick their faces like they were saying sorry.  They went right back to being best buddies, eating, sleeping and playing together like nothing happened.  Scared the heck out of me each and every time it happened.  We learned to distract them or keep the separated when they had bones, etc.  They NEVER fought over food, we fed all three out in the garage.  We would put their food in their bowls and go back in the house we never once had fight over food.

When we only had two females they didn't fight at all, Calli was top dog and the other ones knew it they never fought with her.  We think they may have fought with each other trying to see who was top dog between them.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Zora went back into the hospital beacuse she had a hole in her throat, cant think of the name right this minute where exactly it is. She also has a broken jaw where she is very limited on how much she can open her mouth. Over the next few weeks once a week they will put her out and stretch her jaw, otherwise it will heal closed. I will be soo glad when this is over and Im praying she will be able to have a productive life. I will keep you updated. Thanks again..

·
Registered
893 Posts
My brother has 2 males that never got along, they have to live in seperate areas of the house. Both of them get along well with his female Mastiff. Ekim went to training with a few dogs that were same sex and didn't get along, by a few months they were best of friends. It took a lot of time, patients and hard work. You really need to seek advice of a good trainer, one who has worked with these problems before, not a pet-smart trainer but a behaviorist. My trainer met Ekim when he was 9 weeks old, Ekim was a nasty puppy, always bitting and growling, I was so afraid of him, I thought he was an aggressive dog. My trainer told me that Ekim had a fearful personality and it was not an aggression issue. He told me that in a few months Ekim was going to be my best friend and one of the most gentle, well behaved dog I would ever meet. And he was so right. Ekim is my best friend. And so gentle and well behaved. Now when he came to evaluate Delila, she is a more dominant dog, I have to train her in a completely different way than I trained Ekim. It is a wonder how this guy can read dogs, but the first time he met Ekim I told him I wanted to get rid of him as I was afraid of all big dogs and he was a terror always bitting, jumping and growling.I told him he was the meanest dog I met. He told me Ekim didn't have a mean bone in his body and he was right. How he knew is beyond me because Ekim was killing me. What I am saying is get a good trainer to help and do it soon, my brother waited to long to correct his problem and the dogs never got along. The more fights that occur the harder it is to correct. Dogs don't forget. With a good trainer your babies will become good buddies I am sure, they are still young enough to correct, and these injuries seemed very severe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts