Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning!
Wondering if anyone can help me. My boxer puppy who is 6 months old started having multiple seizures. Because he had 3 in one day they had to put an IV in and start Phenobarbital injections to stop the seizures. Anyways this medication has completely changed our dog, he isn’t the same at all. We are now trying to look into diet changes rather then medication his whole life. We are lost and don’t know where to begin, has anyone had something like this happen to their boxer? Please help. Thank you so much

·
Registered
799 Posts
I don't think a diet change would help seizures that I know of but I am not a Vet. Can they play with the dosage to see what the lowest dose that is effective would be? Seizures can kill a dog and quickly if not managed I am sure the Vet explained that to you so I hope you will be able to find some way to manage it. Have they done bloodwork? One of my female Boxers started having feinting spells and they thought it was seizures but it turned out to be Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia and it can be caused from a reaction to shots. Six months old though is the time if a dog has epilepsy it shows up. Good luck I hope you can find a solution.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Well I have no idea what is going on?? But most likely it is either epilepsy or DCM, if I had to guess??

If it is DCM ... then Diet would be important and he should not be eating "Grain Free," if he is??

And aside from that, if you can contact other owners that got pups from the place you did?? That would most likely prove useful.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Having first hand experience with diet induced DCM that will cause them to collapse and urinate on themselves can look like a seizure complete testing and blood work with chest x-rays at the Vet would be a good idea.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
there are also special diets for dogs with epilepsy.
This would be in alongside medication . Please talk to your vet about it. I am assuming your vet has now found the cause of the seizures which is necessary in order to find the best protocol. I hope you will keep the forum updated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts