Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get some advice on something I just read as well as get some different ideas as to what could be ailing my three boxers. My three boxers pretty much quit eating about the 3rd of this month. We thought it just might be a virus going around. My male boxer is starting to eat a little but the two females arent eating at all. The 2 yr old female threw up twice.
We took the two year old female to the vet today and he says he hasnt found anything wrong. We also have a 13 week old boxer but we used Advantix on her and she is eating like a minature horse.
  We recently read an article that boxers might have trouble with the flea and tick medicine Frontline Plus. We did put Frontline Plus on all 3 boxers on the 1st of March and these symptoms started a couple days later. Could this just be coincidence. We have changed nothing and we dont know what to do.
 Thanks
   Liz

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Im not sure what to say!! I hope they get well though! As for Frontline Plus.......Ive used it on my girl plenty of times with no problem! Maybe they just happen to be allergic to it?? Id ask the vet on that

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Interesting............I have used the Frontline Plus on mine too and haven't had any problem.  It could be one with yours though, you are very observant.  Where did you read the article about Boxers possibly having trouble with this treatment? We would love to read it if possible. Hopefully they will start eating soon.  Keep us posted.

Nano

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Would they eat if you cooked for them? Maybe some boiled chicken and rice? Might be worth a try just to see if they ate that? What kind of food are you feeding them? This is very strange for all three of them not to be eating?! Please keep us posted as to what you find out. And, I hope they start eating soon!  :?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I have used Frontline Plus for years and have never encountered that, esp as all of your dogs are not eating....I'd try what Tootsie suggested, try some simple home cooking and see if that will spark their appetites...I'd also like to read that article about Frontline....

Oh, welcome to the forum by the way....Hope your babies all start eating again real soon  :)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
The only way i would think the Frontline could be trouble is if for some reason they were able to ingest it (i.e it wasnt put on the proper place on the neck) that has been the only time that i have ever seen it be an issue to boxers and other dogs. Being as you own 3 babies though, i dont see it being user error. The e-vet clinic i worked at only sold Frontline and Frontline plus and i never had an issue with it on my own animals. I do hope your babies get better. It is a good thing their mom is so observant. Some people would not have even linked the two events at all! It is hard on everyone when they dont feel well. Please keep us posted...and welcome to the forum. Hope they start geeling better soon

·
Registered
25 Posts
What are you feeding them? I've also heard that some dogs don't like the smell of fish. Our girl was eating Ultra Nutro and it had salmon in it. She ate it for a while but got sick of it quickly. She would only eat 1/4 of what I gave her.  I am now feeding her Royal Canin (which has fish oil vs salmon) and she loves it and cleans the bowl every time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts