Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
boxer questions

My boxer is two years old and he acts mean when people come in the yard he jumps on them and I am not sure what he will do. I had him fixed hoping he will calm down will he in the future?

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
Good for you for having your boy fixed! This is best for his long-term healht, and now you don't have to worry contributing to the pet overpopulation problem. The best thing that you can do to curb this unwanted behaviour is to attend a session of obedience classes with your boy. They will help to teach you how to train him not to jump up.

I'm not sure of where you're located, but it is likely that there is a training facility somewhere near you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm sorry to say that usally doesn't work unless you get them fixed before they hit puberty. My sisters boxer actually got more aggressive after being fixed about 3 years old. I also have a male dog that I had fixed when he was older ,he also got more aggressive. You have to train the behavior out of him.  If you would like to do it yourself I would suggest watching The Dog Whisperer. He is amazing and you will learn a lot. The first season just came out on DVD. Good luck.. :wink:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I have to disagree about neutering an older male. Samson was 6 when I got him from a rescue & was neutered at that time. He is not aggressive at all. loves childern, other dogs of all sizes, has never shown any tendencies towards aggression. I think it's all about the individual dog really. They are all different & each will react different. To a certain degree your boxer is just doing what is natural, he's prtecting his territory, but he can be taught "good" and " bad ways to do that. I have to agree with Jessica, obedience is the key, at any age!!!That was the first thing I did when I got Samson, we went to school & it really did help..

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was having the same problem with my boxer.  Some things we did to help with the aggression included:
- Socializing him more (do this gradually)
- When you have a visitor, give him a special raw-hide or special treat that he doesnt usually have.  This will keep him distracted for a little while...hopefully.  Make sure only to give this special treat when you have company, otherwise it will not be distracting enough.
- Taking him to obedience classes may be a great idea as well
- If all else fails, and the problem gets worse, I would get him to a behavioralist who can lead you in a better direction.  

I think neutering him was a great idea, but Im not sure if it will calm him down, I guess every dog is different.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Have you tried to correct his behavior when he does it?  Maybe have him on a leash/collar or training collar of some sort and have someone approach the yard and before he goes totally nuts - right when they start to raise the ears and stand tall - correct & then give him a command on what you want him to do - like "kennel" or "down" to lay down?  Maybe practicing this will help him learn what you want him to do when someone approaches.  Also a behaviorist is a good idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts