Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My husband is convinced he wants a boxer. He has already selected a breeder and chose a name. We already have a dog but is mixed breed, definitely not a boxer. Here is the dilemma, we both work full time...is it possible to own a boxer from puppy age when you work full time? Has anyone done this? While I love the idea of adding another dog to our home I am nervous about owning a boxer puppy. He is committed to spending time with the pup in the evenings and on weekends. Is it realistic to own one?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Sure its possible. You have to be extremely committed though. Just a few things I can think off the top of my head are, you will need to crate train from day 1, you will need to find someone you trust that can take the pup out during the day while you are at work. Probably a good idea to take a few days off when you get the pup to help with the transition, especially because you already have another dog. Going to need to wake up early and exercise and train the pup before work, will have to do the same after work.

Boxers are like a 10 on the energy scale and pretty intelligent and if you don't exercise them and stimulate their minds, you will be asking for trouble.
Just make sure you are up to it before you decide.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I think you have more of a "puppy" question than a Boxer question?? And to answer that question directly. Sure millions of people raise puppies and have full time jobs. :)

But it is a huge commitment (or at least should be ...) and a lot of work! You can't keep a puppy locked up for eight to ten hours everyday until he is Crate/Trained/ House broken.

So you'll need to make "some sort of provisions for potty breaks." And you'll need to be prepared to not get much sleep for a couple of weeks. It's not always the case that it will mean lots of sleepless nights but it would be wise to prepare for that.

And Boxers are working dogs and they are gonna a much higher energy level ... that say a Pug or Bull Dog. A slight older already house broken young Boxer Rescue you have also been available option but it sounds like his mind is already made up.

But we have a lot of new Boxer puppys on board and they will be happy to help out shortly, Welcome Aboard. :)

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
And ... what is the other dog??? Mixed Breed really says uh ... nothing??? Does he get along well with other dogs/puppies??? It's not a given that he will have no issues with a puppy??? Proper introductions are very important!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts