Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

First off, Hoosier is doing much better around cars. He slumps a bit, but he's beginning to ignore them. Thanks for the tips.

My next hurdle is the dog park/daycare. HOOSIER.GOES.NUTS. He gets excited to the point that he chokes himself with a normal leash and collar (we've started using a whole body harness) and his eyes get really blooshot. No treat we've tried has any impact. We gone from hot dogs, to chicken to steak...nothing is more important to him that getting to go play and he could care less about any food at that moment. We're trying to get him to sit and settle before we give him the go ahead command and that works some of time (unless there is a welcoming committee!).

Its also tough to get him to listen and come amongst the dogs. He comes great at home and we treat him well for it, but at the park, he nearly ignores us. I've nabbing throughout our time there and treating him if he comes, but he doesn't care about the treats! Any ideas?

·
Registered
39 Posts
betty is sort of like this too. one thing i've heard (from cesar milan  :D ) is that you should walk your dog before brining him/her to the dog park or any situation where they will be around other dogs...this helps us a little, but betty is always rarin' to go no matter what.  she could have played for 12 hours straight, i'll take her home and she'll just collapse on the floor from being so tired, and then if i take her anywhere else where there is people/dogs, she'll totally forget that she was tired and just be rarin' to go again :)

how old is your pup? i'm please to announce that (at least in betty's case) these things tend to get better w/ age & more exposure.  the worst thing you could do would be to stop exposing him to these things - maybe just do it on a smaller scale.  take him to a public park where there might be a dog way across the park, so he can see the dog but it's too far away to get to, then work on sit/stay/come & any other basic commands with him.  that's worked wonders for us.

good luck!!!  he'll get it eventually :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
We have the same issue with Beckham.  Yanking and pulling when there are new dogs or people to meet.  We also use a harness, which does work.  I just can't take it when he's heaving, coughing and gagging from choking himself with a regular collar.  He's great at home, but once there's other dogs around him, he tends to go deaf :D   No matter how many different people/animals we expose him to, he just goes nuts when around other dogs.  He will literally play until he collapses from exhaustion.
We haven't even attempted a dog park yet (too many scary stories).

I want to get a really really long training lead and take him to a huge nearby grassy area and work on commands with him.  There will be lots of stimuli in the area for him to deal with, but at least I know he's safe and attached to me.  
Good luck to you and Hoosier!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I agree with age and exposure. Abby was nuts too...but has calmed down somewhat. I took a lot of short trips to local petco's, petsmarts, any place that allowed dogs also...places where she would have to be on her leash but be exposed to other dogs and people. This helped significantly with her craziness when we encounter people on our nightly walks and when she has play sessions with others.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I remember Liz suggesting something called a Gentle Leader for dogs that really pull hard on the leash.  You may want to drop into one of her training sessions and ask her about it.  Here is a website that explains it.  I understand it is not recommended for everyone, but it's an option to explore.  A harness is certainly a good idea too.

http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=18

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
In this situation I don't recommend a gentle leader.  Work obedience more in a quiet place and then start adding distractions such as other dogs.  This is a lot of puppy energy and excitement.  You need to teach him to control it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use the gentle leader body harness.  The head collar was painful. He would pull anyway and go nuts when it hurt. I couldn't stand to see it happen over and over again. Not as bad as the gagging, but still bad. The body hardness works better...only problem is getting it off when other dogs come to greet him. He got a bit tangled yesterday.

I'll try the training amid distractions. I just need to find a more controlled environment. The trainer we were seeing kept saying to use treats to reinforce, but she wasn't getting the fact that the dude does not care about us or treats when it comes to a four legged friend! Hopefully a decrease in excitement and an increase in attachment come with age. He is about 7 months right now.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I think I would look for another trainer. Doesn't sound like she is listening to what you are saying. No sense in paying for that if it isn't work...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
somedogs aren't food motivated.  Try praise,play...anything thatyourdog thinksispositive...

If you likeI can also give you a referral for a trainer in your area that trains much like i do...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a referral would be great. We were using Pooch Pawsitive out of Warwick, RI

if we could somehow bottle up play and use it as a motivator...

Getting him to settle first (sit or down) would be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts