Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Help Please!

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Cooper 
#1 ·
We've had Cooper since he was 10 weeks old.  We have a 4 y/o daughter (who was 2 when we got him), and they are best buddies.  he's also wonderful w/all of the neighborhood kids that COME TO OUR HOUSE.  This is where the problem comes in.  If we are walking Cooper outside, and a boy b/w the ages of 10-14 approaches him, he gets VERY aggressive.  He stands on his hind legs, barks & snarls.  The first few times it happened, they boys were wearing hats, so we figured that was it.  But lately it's any boy that fits the description--hat or no hat.  B/c of this, we are getting him fixed next week (we were going to breed), and hoping this solves the problem.  It is so specific though---never girls, and always boys in that age group.

Help!

#3 ·
Once again, getting a dog fixed is not a behavioral fix...

Why does everyone think a surgery fixes behavioral problems?

There's something else causing the problem... get your dog fixed if you don't want him to breed or mate with another dog... behavioral issues require a differant answer then surgery.

#4 ·
I dont think fixing him will stop the behavior problem that he has. But i am not the smartest of all people to talk to in this department. This is just my opinion maybe some teenage kid did mess with him,  because when Zeus was a puppy and i was away from the house and left Zeus at home. One of my friends played aggressively with him (which i had a high tempered 1on1 talk with him when i found this out). Now after a year later when that friend comes over Zeus wants to take him out of the game. So when he comes over now i have to put Zeus in another room or outside while he is here. And that is only with that one person, everyone else he just wants to be a lap dog. But good luck with this.

#6 ·
Probably the neutering is not going to be the fix for this problem.  I would recommend doing two things.  One, have the vet run a thyroid test on him and two, consult a private behaviorist/trainer (not PetSmart)  for some help with this.  It could be that a boy in that age group has tormented him in the past .  It is a very good sign that he is very friendly to people invited into your home.  

My personal advice would be that when walking him and boys of that age group, or anyone for that matter, that you pull him off of the trail/sidewalk as far as you can from the passerby (15 - 20 feet would be good) and have him do a nice sit way before the people are even close to approaching.  All the while praising him "good sit, good sit" and stroking him on the back and making sure he retains the sit during this time and that you maintain A LOOSE LEASH (very important).  Let the people pass by and get 50 feet ahead or so before you release him "free" and then praise him like crazy for being such a good boy.  I would also feel free to treat him after the release and people have passed.

Nano

#9 ·
I don't think everyone was suggesting to NOT get him neutered, they were just saying that it won't help much with the agression. I am all for spaying/neuturing if you are not a professional breeder,but I do agree that neuturing wont help much. Been that rout with my Mastif/pitbull mix. He was becoming agressive we got him fixed and if anything he became worse. He attacked me twice, put me in a corner more then I can remember. Then he growled at my daughter,needless to say we don't have him anymore. Could possibly when he was outside in the yard(if he goes out in the yard by him self) that a boy was teasing him or worse without you knowing about it?

#11 ·
Honeyec\";p=\"10983 said:
Why are so many people anti-neutering?  No, it's not a catch-all fix for behavioural problems, but I wouldn't be offering that as a reason not to neuter.

As far as I'm concerned ALL dogs should be neutered (or spayed) unless you are a professional breeder, and not to do so is nothing short of irresponsible.
Reread the original post Honeyec....

"He stands on his hind legs, barks & snarls... (we were going to breed... but) because of this, we are getting him fixed next week"

Once again, the original poster said BECAUSE HE'S AGGRESSIVE, he's going to neuter the dog to fix the problem (despite wanting to breed the dog).

That's why people are saying what they're saying... please understand what the original question is before condemning what people are saying... nobody said not to neuter, they said you don't neuter to fix behavior problems (especially if this person wants to breed, he's trying to solve the problem all-wrong).

#13 ·
Thank you, Odin's Dad, but I think you'll find I'm perfectly capable of reading and understanding the post without your assitance.

My own point was that many people (yourself included) seemed to be saying "Neutering won't solve the aggression problem, so don't bother doing it."

Seeing as you were clearly incapable of understanding me, let me reiterate my position - a more helpful response to Cooper's question would have been "No, neutering won't necessarily adjust the dog's behaviour, but it should be done anyway as there are other benefits involved".

And I'll thank you not to patronise me so in the future.

#14 ·
Chloe acts very differently while we are on walks too - she is a lot more fearful - sounds like you need to work on obedience commands outside the home so that he sees you as the "leader" and he doesn't have to take over to defend you from the evil boys or be fearful.  Definately talk to a trainer that specializes in aggressive behavior - you really want to nip this in the bud quickly before someone gets hurt.  

Also - when you are walking - so you allow him to walk in front of you?  Leaders always are in the front.

Good luck!

#15 ·
Honeyec\";p=\"10995 said:
I'll thank you not to patronise me so in the future.
Treat others as you wish to be treated Honeyec, you have multiple posts on this forum where you are VERY preachy and come-across as a rather demanding "MY way is best for YOU" attitude.

Let's take a look, shall we...
As far as I'm concerned ALL dogs should be neutered (or spayed) unless you are a professional breeder, and not to do so is nothing short of irresponsible.
Wow... that's a pretty loaded statement... considering the original poster said they would like to BREED their dog, you just basically told them they shouldn't have that right.  Who are you to infringe on the rights of others... perhaps you should help them understand the responsibilities of breeding, rather then tell them they have no right to do so.

Hmmm, well, let's try again...
Why are so many people anti-neutering?  No, it's not a catch-all fix for behavioural problems, but I wouldn't be offering that as a reason not to neuter.
We're not anti-neutering... everyone else in this thread actually took the time to read what the original poster said... in a nutshell cooper said "I'd like to breed my dog, but I have a behavior problem, so I'm forced to neuter him to fix the behavior problem".  If you would have actually comprehended what the original poster (OP) said, everyone responded with an appropriate answer to the OP's problem.  Yours is the only post telling the OP he doesn't have the right to breed and should fix his dog regardless.

Thank you, Odin's Dad, but I think you'll find I'm perfectly capable of reading and understanding the post without your assitance.
After further review, I have come to the conclusion, you either didn't fully comprehend what the OP was saying/asking, or you pushed your "all dogs must be neutered/you have no right to breed" rhetoric down his throat.  

So which was it?

#17 ·
Okay PEOPLE! Calm down... everyone on this forum seems to be against BYB's and anyone that seems to want to become one! I know I am... along with Odinsdad and MANY MANY if not EVERYONE else on this forum, no one is stating otherwise. Many of us are just agreeing that Cooper needs to get a trainer to most likely solve this issue and help him realize that neuturing is NOT what is going to solve this issue.

Besides how does one become a professional breeder??! Maybe he is... or is trying to be.... there is nothing wrong with that! We need to help him not patronize him! I'm completely against backyard breeders. I wanted to breed dogs at one point but have since then realized it would be A LOT of work. Not that I don't think it's worth it but with a 21 month old and a baby on the way. I think I should spend my life and time on them and not on breeding... who knows maybe LATER ON IN LIFE. But for now...

Anyway... everyone just relax... no one saying neuturing is A HORRIBLE THING AND DON'T DO IT!

#21 ·
From a trainers point of view:

Getting your dog fixed can HELP with the problem, but as Odins dad states it is NOT a cure all!!  When you approach theseboys, have them get down to your dogs level.  No eye contact, arms loose at their sides.  Give them a treat if you have one.  Let your dog approach them at HIS PACE!!!  This is extremely important!!!  {He may be reacting out of fear or as a show of dominance (boys in this age group are just coming into the world as young "adults" and they can be cocky and somewhat aggressive themselves...this can really set a dog off).  He may be also acting to PROTECT YOU!!!}  Tell the boys not to talk to your dog or make eye contact.  Let your dog sniff (under your control!!!!!!!!!) the boys.  If your odg shows interest in the treat in their hands, them have them give your dog the treat with their arms very relaxed, hands in a palm up and flat position.

Also, you should speak to a trainer who can help with this.  Sterilization can control hormones which may be adding to the problem, but it is, again. NOT A CURE ALL!!!  Try training first.  I always tell my clients that trainingcan fix a lot more problems than just the one your are asking for help with!!!

Good Luck...

Liz and Lilly

#22 ·
Thank you liily....that was a most informative reply!  Didn't by any means  try to start an off topic debate on neutering.  As you said (with your trainer's experience)  as well as Cooper's vet (who has specialized in the boxer breed for 30 years!!), neutering him can most definitely help to curb is aggression.  I know it is not the quick fix, but it will help!  I think my nephew has been mean to him (teasing, etc) a few times w/out me seeing it..I'll have to keep a closer eye on him when he's around.  But Cooper doesn't act out to HIM...just other boys he doesn't know.  It's so strange!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.