Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really, really need to find a decent food that is not so expensive.  My DH is pitching a fit over the price of the food.  I am feeding innova at $45 +tax for 30 pounds.  

I know this is a much discussed, sensitive issue.  

I don't want to have to get rid of him, but I have to live with hubby ... I've had hubby for 28 years ... puppy for 7 months .....  

Please, help if you can.   Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
I recently had to switch dog food because of the fact that Canidae was too much...that is $32 for a 40 lb bad....we now feed diamond naturals chicken and rice seems to do ok for them and it's $22 for a 40 lb bag...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PS ... If I can't get this figured out, I'll be posting this sweet brindle for sale on this forum.    :(

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
haha tell him to come move to canada...price friendly here is 50-60$ plus tax for a bag of almost anything holistic i.e. not reg purina/ pedigree / kibbles and bits...My cat is on hills medicated diet and it's 40$ a bag for his food...100$ a month on my babies just for food and BELIEVE me if there was a cheaper choice id be right there with ya asking for it. Lucky you live in US where they have the options!

G

·
0 Posts
yeah...my husband doesn't like that we pay a lot for dog food..but he knows I am not getting rid of them...so he tolerates it, lol

·
Registered
491 Posts
Not to sound like jerk, but you should of thought of that before you got a dog.  If you got rid of the dog becuase of that, that is sad...

If you get an unexpected Vet bill, what are you going to do?  OK, I will stop...
Sorry, but i hate hearing things like this.    :aua:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Bubbaboy\";p=\"74977 said:
Not to sound like jerk, but you should of thought of that before you got a dog.  If you got rid of the dog becuase of that, that is sad...

If you get an unexpected Vet bill, what are you going to do?  OK, I will stop...
Sorry, but i hate hearing things like this.    :aua:
That's exactly what I was thinking.
I want to switch to Merrick, but my husband says it's too expensive, so I understand where you're coming from. But I'm sorry, if my husband ever told me to get rid of my dog...no way. I dont take orders from anyone.

there are plenty of food options for you. my dogs eat canidae, which is $28 for a 40lb bag. If you cant find it in stores in your area, you can order online. Petfooddirect.com runs sales on it just about all the time.

You can also check dogfoodanalysis.com for ratings and comments on many different brands of food, to see what your local stores carry.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I agree that food is no reason to get rid of a animal, those things should all be considered BEFORE getting a dog, cat, etc.

Glad you came here to ask the question and get some information.  Purina now makes some really great foods that you should be able to find in your area and should be cheaper than the innova you are now feeding.  Just remember that your boxer baby only wants to please you and give you lots of love and kisses, no matter what food you are feeding them. They only want to be part of the family!  :D

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Honestly, I can relate. Right after my divorce, things were very tight for me and I had a difficult time feeding myself much less my dog! Of course, back then, there wasn't quite as many choices as there are today. Just do the best you can and when you can afford to do better then do so. My theory is the better the food, the healthier the animal, and hopefully equates to less vet bills!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I just always go buy Fredo's food myself...my bf has no idea how much I spend..haha or I just buy a smaller bag and show him the recipt for that one...lol

·
Registered
491 Posts
Buy less food for your husband and more for the dog...LOL

that is what my wife would do...LOL

On a serious note, we all have different situations and I would hope you could work it out and KEEP that puppy.  I would really be a shame to get rid of the dog.

I hope it all works out.

G

·
0 Posts
frankly...diamond in our area is cheaper than purina pro plan...and seems really like a decent food..not the best, but decent

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
sully\";p=\"74996 said:
I'd be starving myself and eating ramen noodles before I gave up my dog.  Seriously, ramen noodles are like $1 a package
no, they're $1 for a pack of 10. lmao

years ago, people fed their dogs any dog food on the grocery store shelves, or just table scraps. a lower quality food wont really hurt your dog, buy what you can afford. At least there will be food in his tummy. right?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.