Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have had Char for about a year and a half, and when I got her she was very aggressive toward everybody. When we got her she was three and had been locked up in a crate for almost all her life. The only time she was allowed out was to go outside if she was lucky. Well she is allowed to run free here with us. Well we thought she was doing better around us, but last night she acted crazy as i like to say. She was laying with me on the couch and my son tried to come up to me and she wouldn't let him she just kept growling so then my husband tried and she wouldn't let him. In the past year we have been able to get her to stop that around us now around other people is another story however I really can't let her get that way with my kids. I have got to get her to stop but don't know how and I don't want to get rid of her. I have had boxers forever and she is the only one I have ever had that was aggressive. Help please

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
With any kind of aggression, IMO I would try to contact a trainer / behavorist.     They understand dog behavior and aggression issues better than anyone!  Also since she has a dark past, its best to work with those who have done it before.   Dont give up on her, just find her some help:)

Hope all goes well and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
IMO she is resource guarding and YOU are the resource 8O What was your response when she did that last night??? Be sure that you are enforcing your roll as the leader, NOT her. Make her get off the couch ASAP. I'd start working with the nothing in life is free method, make her do something for EVERYTHING she gets. Have husband and kids do this also. As far as I know this is a correctable problem, she has just assumed she's in charge! BTW, I'd make the couch "by invitation only" until she gets settled down a bit. Good Luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when she acted that way i pushed her off the couch and made her go outside for a while which she hates, I really didn't know what else to do b/c i don't want to use her crate as a from of punishment

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
 really didn't know what else to do b/c i don't want to use her crate as a from of punishment  
And you are right, crate should never be used as form of punishment.  Have you done timeouts??   They work for us and boy, Hanna gets the point when she gets one.  What we do it put her lead on her and put the loop on the doorknob in the middle of the hall.  Then leaver for there for about 2 minutes.  She knows that she has been bad sits there and sulks.   It does work for us.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I think you need a behaviorist who will evaluate Char around children.  They may be able to tell if it is "fear" based, instead of aggression.  Our foster spent the weekend with a trainer who had small children, he'd lunged and growled at my grandson. before that so we found help. She was able to identify "fear" as the cause.  Suggestions to us were to completely ignore him, and give him space.  If signs of anxiety started we were to just throw treats out in the middle of the room.  I think this was for distraction, and he was not to be fed treats by hand.  My grandson was supposed to also completely ignore him, but was to occasionally offer a dog treat.  It might be a long process, but the goal was children, or others, can be a "good" thing, not scary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts