Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Porter's been turning up his nose to his food the past week or so.  I kind of thought he was depressed because DH was on a business trip, but DH is back and he's still not really eating.  Like if he gets hungry enough, he will eat.  I'm concerned because he usually eats like a horse.  He's on puppy food still.  Could he be telling me it's time for adult dog food?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
You have your own answer.  When he's hungry he'll eat. A lot of dogs go through growth spurts and one of the signs is that they wont eat.... of course you could always try another food....

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Boxers are fussy.  Get used to these stages, they are likely to come and go.  But on an unrelated note, if he's 6 months, I would feed him a quality all life-stages food.  Theres no need to feed "puppy" or "adult" food or any of those catch phrases, just a quality kibble that's not too high in protein.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sully\";p=\"127539 said:
Theres no need to feed "puppy" or "adult" food or any of those catch phrases, just a quality kibble that's not too high in protein.
What's considered "too high in protein"?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
That's up for some debate, but I wouldn't go over 27% to 28%.   There are studies that indicate too much protein can lead to rapid bone development, which could cause skeletal strain and problems down the road.  I'm still unconvinced myself,  because as any body builder will tell you, excess protein in the human body is basically excreted or stored as fat.  But I'll defer to the medical experts and be better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Both of our guys just came off the hunger strike. Blitzen I can understand cause she is  still growing , Donner on the other hand is pressing the 80lb mark. I sure hope hes not going thru another growth spurt.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Go to an all stages food, anything with less than 28% protein would be fine...Just look at the ingredients, or better still, make a copy of that Sticky that has the foods listed and take it with you when you shop

1 - 8 of 8 Posts