Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...we are waiting for the evet to call us...Mic just started having tremors(for lack of a better word) his head starts to shake uncontrollably(you can see him trying to stop it and upset as a result)...it comes in waves...looks like a person who has parkinsons(sp)...shakes kind of sideways...mostly his head...although you can feel his body tense and some trembling in his body when it hits...he was obviously distressed by it...but, it seems to have stopped for the moment...he can stand...although he seems tohe is laying by me with his head up alert right now...they had been playing...running pretty hard...everything seemed just fine...I really don't know what to think...but, I have a call in to the vet...

OK...the vet called...he says to keep a calendar and watch him...if he does it more then once every three months, he might need meds...he also said to get him in to his vet(on Monday) for blood tests...make sure there isn't any internal "disease" causing this...beyond that he is thinking epilepsy...it's scary to watch...to see that he can't control it and it is bewildering to him!  The vet said to "keep things quiet" and not get him excited today!!! Not excited?!?!?! He and Indy are IMPOSSIBLE to keep quiet!?!?

Sharon, is there something I can give him to help him settle down...maybe sleep...I am afraid to do anything "sedative" when we are seeing brain stuff going on...you know...

Ok...he's doing it again...ever so slightly now...just ripples running up his body to his head...I want someone to fix it NOW!

I hope someone can tell me something...it's doing it again...full shake now...every 15 - 20 seconds or so...

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
sweetie the vet cant see him..id go now..dont let it get worse...tell them you are coming NOW...better safe then sorry...

im praying for you..im so sorry you have to go through that...thats awful..i went through that with a cat yrs ago...its aweful to watch

·
Registered
780 Posts
Poor Mic, my prayers to you and healing for Mic!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I agree, try for the vet today if you can. Just a thought though - while he was playing could he have gotten water, dirt or even a bug down in his ear canal that is irritating him?? Caution - if he starts shaking his head hard make him stop. The small blood vessels in the ear flaps can burst and damage the flap from blood pooling. Sophie did that years ago from a bug bite and I ended up cutting up a sock and sliding over her head and ears to stop the flapping, Vet said he liked it so much he was going to tell people to try it. Hoping and praying it's nothing serious, let us know.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone other then this emergency line...and the vet on call is the same one who told me to take him in on Monday...there is no animal hospital here...I am going to keep searching...right now he's sleeping...some twitching...but, not as much...poor darlin...I tried calling several places and they are all closed today and refer to the same "emergency vet services" number that I already called!!! [email protected]!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Oh poor Mic. I don't have any experience with this, but sounds like he does need the vet. It's unfortunate that you can't get a hold of one, but I'm sure sooner or later you will. I'm so sorry  :( . Hope you get a hold of someone soon, and keep us posted hun. Give Mic a hug and a kiss from me.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Jeanene, I am sorry that this is happening..I have no experience with this, just hoping you can get ahold of someone so Mic can be seen....Poor sweetheart, sending some calming and soothing vibes to you both...Keep us posted please

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I had a dog with epilepsy so I have seen seizures.  They can range anywhere from a momentary blank spaced-out look, to falling down full blown foaming at the mouth attacks.  I was just wondering there is any chance that Mic could have picked up a tick and that it could be causing problems?  I don't know if ticks affect dogs like they do humans, but having seen the pictures where you guys have been enjoying the great outdoors, I just wondered if that was a possibility.  Hope he's okay and keep us posted.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't have any advice, I've never been through this, but I'm hoping everything goes well!  Hopefully you can find someone to see him before Monday!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I know nothing about it either but I am so sorry to hear poor little Mic is going thru this. I'm praying for him.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Jeanene I'm sorry you are experiencing this with Mic. It could be happening for a bunch of reasons. It could be something he ate, epilepsy, a reaction to maybe a vaccine or flea control.  Start keeping a journal of when it happens, time of day, sleeping or awake, did he just eat, things like that.
My friends boxer was having head tremors, come to find out he ate a ghecko and I guess had a reaction to it. He passed the bones and the tremors left just as soon as they came.
I've also heard that certain cleaners can cause head tremors. If you've cleaned with anything different lately. I've heard that the Febreze fabric freshner can cause it. This is just from people that have experienced head tremors narrowing things down to find out what is causing them. I don't know how accurate any of this is. If you can't get in touch with a vet before Monday, and it happens again I would give him some Benadryl. The dose is as follows, and may help to calm them if it is an allergic reaction to something.
Benadryl: 1-2 mg per lb. every 8 hrs. (60-lb. dog, 2-4 25mg tablets every 8 hrs.)
I'll be praying that it doesn't happen again. Hopefully it was just a freak thing.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
No experience here either, but hopefully it will subside until you can get him to your vet on Monday.  Thoughts and prayers for you and Mic.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[quote="tootsie\";p=\"34394":igs3eobh]Jeanene I'm sorry you are experiencing this with Mic. It could be happening for a bunch of reasons. It could be something he ate, epilepsy, a reaction to maybe a vaccine or flea control.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's really strange i'm finding the same topic I was about to post about.
First of all, I'm very sorry to hear you're experiencing this, it is very scary.
I just took my 11 month old male to the vet this morning for the exact same symptoms. He started having random head tremors, for lack of a better word.  The vet done a complete blood work up and just called back this evening to let me know they found his thyroid count is low and will be starting him on a thyroid supplement  Monday. My first thoughts when this started happening was, Oh God, he has some awful neurological disorder. So i'm very thankful its only been a thyroid problem. I hope this gives you some hope. At least you could get him in to get a blood work up, I couldnt imagine your vet not wanting to get him in ASAP.
Good luck!
Jody

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My vet isn't even reachable...I had to accept the "on call" vet through the emergency vet services hotline...and he just said to take him in Monday...my only comfort is that he's doing ok now...no more tremors for the moment...we do have the name of a vet in a nearby town whom we can supposedly reach after hours...we are gonna try her and see!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that he's doing a little better at least. Poor guy  :(  Let us know how it goes with the vet from out of town.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
So glad that Tootsie offered some other explanations for your and thanks for the heads up about the Fabreze which I spray all over the house (even if it is only the softner products - I'll be more careful around the puppies).  We'll keep you in our prayers and hope it's a passing thing.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Jeanene....sorry I am late on getting this I was at a wedding all day yesterday for my nefew....I sent you a PM....Hope he is better today!

·
Registered
352 Posts
jeanene, i am so sorry for your situation; i can't imagine the pain of watching this and like you said, not being able to stop it.  i don't have any advice but wanted to send you my thoughts and wish you and mic my best.  hopefully tomorrow you'll be in a better position to get to the bottom of this and I hope the appt goes well.  keep us posted!!!  madeline sends lots of doggie smootches to mic.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok...I thought I posted on this...not sure...maybe somewhere else?? I can be a bit spacey at times...anyway, Mic had another yesterday...but, a very small one...and not so much in his head...we are thinking they are more like tremors now...as he is FULLY ALERT and as expressive as always(with his eyes) it happened at teh same time as before...within a half an hour of the time frame from Saturday...I'll be calling the vet this morning to see about blood tests...we are hoping to find a concrete answer...there seem to be SO many possibilities!

Thanks everyone for your support!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts